PDA

View Full Version : Older C'man RAS Conversion

Jay Yoder
09-07-2007, 9:33 PM
Good evening everyone...I have an older craftsman 3 hp RAS that the motor can be converted to 220v. I do not have a manual unfortunately and i was wondering if anyone out there has done this to theirs? There were no wiring diagrams or instructions on any of the shields. I did find a slide style switch toward the "rear" that slides between 110v and 220v. I guess i would think that sliding that would be too easy. The saw dims the lights when it is first turned on! Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated!!!

Rick Christopherson
09-08-2007, 2:12 AM
I would be cautious about taking any of the typical "generic" advise for rewiring this motor. I can't support this statement, but my gut tells me there might be some complexities with how some of these motors sensed they were at speed and disconnected their starting circuits. I am not saying a generic rewire won't work, I am just saying be cautious without a manual.

In the meantime, even though the saw dims the lights during startup, that does not mean it won't perform at full power with a 20-amp, 240-volt circuit. The startup current on the saw is far larger than its full-load current, so dimming the lights is typical, but not necessarily indicative of how the saw operates.

Yes, this is a saw that I would prefer to operate at 240 volts, but with the proper wiring, it will operate at full capacity on 120 volts too. Since rewiring the saw requires that you install a new circuit anyway, go ahead and install a new dedicated 20-amp circuit, but leave it at 120 volts for now. See how the saw performs at startup. If you are still not satisfied, then simply replacing the single-pole breaker with a 2-pole breaker , and this is all you need to do to change the house wiring. Then you can change the configuration of the motor to 240 volts.

With a little more research, you might find that this saw left the factory configured for 240 volts, so your reconfiguration might be easier than expected.

joe greiner
09-08-2007, 6:58 AM
There are several publications relating to Craftsman radial arm saws at Old Woodworking Machinery ( http://www.owwm.com/ ). A manual for your model number may be included.

Joe