PDA

View Full Version : Weekend doin's??

Bob Lasley
01-30-2004, 9:27 AM
Gooooooood Friday morning everyone,

Its 16 degrees and snowing here in Okieland this morning. Of course, some of you northerners are probably having temps 16 degrees on the back side of zero this morning with drifts 16 feet deep! This is one of several reasons I'm not a northerner. :D

Well, I have to admit this pen turning is just slightly................somewhat.................. ..........ok, a whole bunch addictive. :eek: But, I'm sure I can quit anytime I want to! :cool: I will probably spend most of my shop time in front of the little lathe this weekend or making up pen blanks. It's a good thing I have the Freedom Pens Project as an excuse or this could be really embarrasing for a dedicated flat woodworker!

So, any sawdust flying in your shop this weekend?

Oh yeah, someone said there is a little football scrimage Sunday evening. :D

Have a great weekend all,
Bob

Dan McGuire
01-30-2004, 9:39 AM
-7 in the greater Chicagoland area, however the sun is shining, for what that is worth. This weekend will consist of multiple trips between the garage and basement humping 30 sheets of sheet rock to be hung in the basement. This project has been going on for about the last 18 months, but I'm gaining on it. As soon as the sheet rock is hung, I can start working on a couple of furniture projects for the finished product. The kids need a computer desk and some storage for toys. But no fun with the toys in the garage until the heavy lifting is done :mad: I hope everyone has a productive weekend.

Eric Sanford
01-30-2004, 10:32 AM
a nice balmy -23 this morning (-44 windchill) with a project -8 for a high today. Tomorrow, snow and maybe above zero! :) Sat will be devoted to my son's basketball, but Sunday I should get some shop time. Not much sawdust, though, got a couple of plane rehabs underway and a shop full of DC pipe to be hung.

Terry Hatfield
01-30-2004, 10:52 AM
Bob,

Looks like I might actually get a bit of shop time this weekend!!! YIPPPEEEE!!!!

I gonna try to get the EC stained and atleast start the finishing. I'll post some pics.

t

Rob Littleton
01-30-2004, 11:21 AM
What is all this about cold temps?

In San Jose, CA, I SEE snow on top of the mountain, but that is about 30 minutes away. As I sit in the shop in shorts and tee shirt with doors wide open (OK, sweats and Tee shirt) I wonder why I have 2 4 wheel drive vehicles on the drive. I have to use 4 wheel every so often just to see if it works.

Anyways, I made several phone calls to local kitchen refurb companys and waiting for a call back offering me the off cuts of Corian. I explained the Freedom Pens program to them and they seemed quite pleased to help. I told them I will send them a sample or two of what their Corian can look like in a pen form.

Other than, the usual cleaning to do and I have to make a book shelf out of Cherry for my other in law.

By the way, you guys know the difference between in laws and out laws?

Out laws are wanted :-)

Have a good weekend

Chris Padilla
01-30-2004, 11:31 AM
-7 in the greater Chicagoland area, however the sun is shining, for what that is worth. This weekend will consist of multiple trips between the garage and basement humping 30 sheets of sheet rock to be hung in the basement. This project has been going on for about the last 18 months, but I'm gaining on it. As soon as the sheet rock is hung, I can start working on a couple of furniture projects for the finished product. The kids need a computer desk and some storage for toys. But no fun with the toys in the garage until the heavy lifting is done :mad: I hope everyone has a productive weekend.

Dan,

You forgot the buckets of mud, tape, and screws! ;) Oh, and the t-square, razor knife, drywall saw and various knives....

Chris Padilla
01-30-2004, 11:38 AM
What is all this about cold temps?

In San Jose, CA, I SEE snow on top of the mountain, but that is about 30 minutes away. As I sit in the shop in shorts and tee shirt with doors wide open (OK, sweats and Tee shirt) I wonder why I have 2 4 wheel drive vehicles on the drive. I have to use 4 wheel every so often just to see if it works.

Anyways, I made several phone calls to local kitchen refurb companys and waiting for a call back offering me the off cuts of Corian. I explained the Freedom Pens program to them and they seemed quite pleased to help. I told them I will send them a sample or two of what their Corian can look like in a pen form.

Other than, the usual cleaning to do and I have to make a book shelf out of Cherry for my other in law.

By the way, you guys know the difference between in laws and out laws?

Out laws are wanted :-)

Have a good weekend

Hey Rob...we do get a wetish kinda cold out here. I had to put long-sleeves on this morning! :D

You have 4-wheels drives for all those ski trips to Tahoe--duh! That is why most Bay Area-ers have SU...I mean 4-wheel drives.

So for me, it will be finishing up painting of the TV room and the garage needs a good cleaning and organizing so I can finally, finally, finally start on the EC...might have to toss on a sweatshirt over my long-sleeves to do the garage cleaning Saturday morning...brrrrr....

:cool:

Scott Coffelt
01-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Weather man says we'll get our biggest snow storm in many years this weekend 6-10 inches.... yeah right, we'll get the usually 1-2 and they'll say it slipped east of us.

Besides trying to stay warm... I never can understand why folks like to live where it is this cold or colder all winter. Anyways, making a trip to the local lumber yard for some Maple to start a bed frame and shelving unit for the LOML's guest room.

Delivering some furniture that we sold to make room for the new furniture said LOML purchased before the end of 2003.

I hear there is a big football game on Sunday, might have to see what all the hype is about with a beverage or two.

Finish setting up my Leigh D4 that I bought a long ways back and never used. Hoping for some test cuts. I built the box for it last night.

That's about it.

Rob Littleton
01-30-2004, 11:55 AM
Hey Rob...we do get a wetish kinda cold out here. I had to put long-sleeves on this morning! :D

You have 4-wheels drives for all those ski trips to Tahoe--duh! That is why most Bay Area-ers have SU...I mean 4-wheel drives.

So for me, it will be finishing up painting of the TV room and the garage needs a good cleaning and organizing so I can finally, finally, finally start on the EC...might have to toss on a sweatshirt over my long-sleeves to do the garage cleaning Saturday morning...brrrrr....

:cool:

Hey Chris. We are at the same company. You understand when I say I barely have time to woodwork, dunno about trips to Tahoe :-) You know 8 years ago, i moved here from the UK.....what you guys call cold, I call Summer out there :-)

by the way, Is a Dodge 2500 4x4 Diesel Long bed full size cab considered an SU.......erm, truck............hehehe

Tyler Howell
01-30-2004, 12:46 PM
The Advantage of –44 temps with the wind-chill is that you can find all the little leaks in the tyvek covering the contractor is putting on my house. Besides the sound of the natural gas meter screaming up dollars is a treat as well.:rolleyes:

Some wiring in the new kitchen, and hooking up appliances. I have running water in the kitchen for the first time in 3.5 years. :D

Trimming out windows and doors is as close to wood chipping as I’m going to get.;)

"Rights OF Winter" party tomorrow and Super Bowl Party on Sunday.:cool:

Stay warm

Jim Hill 2
01-30-2004, 2:36 PM
The highs down here in Charleston SC are an unbearable 60 Degrees today! I may have to put some jeans on to go work out in the shop. LOML just found out she is pregnant (with our first) and suddenly the list of projects that have to be done in the next 7 months is growing exponentially. I'm getting started on some built in cabinets for the laundry room tonight so we can start clearing out the room the baby will go in. Have a great weekend and good luck to whomever you may be rooting for on Sunday!

Jim

Jim Becker
01-30-2004, 4:07 PM
'Might be in the low 30s here this weekend, so the shop should be downright balmy once the heat is on and that's where I'll be. LOML has grants to review, so other than sinking into a DVD on Saturday night, I should get some quality time in the shop...working on the shop. I have to build the "new" DC/Compressor closet and do some remedial wiring. After that, I'll be standing at the Stubby turning something or another...gotta practice and all that.

I will probably watch a little of the "scrimmage" just to see how it looks in HDTV and 16:9, but frankly, I'd rather be in the shop!

And it truly is scary to learn that my buddy Rob and Mr. Padilla work at the same place...but it also explains a lot... :D

Congrats to Mr. Hill, too! Great news!

Eric Naessens
01-30-2004, 4:08 PM
My time in the shop will be quite limited this weekend, as my wife and I are still finishing up our walk-out basement (cut, paint, and install the trim, blinds, etc.). Plus, I see by looking out my office window that we've picked up another 3-4" of snow that I get to joyfully shovel - so there goes this evening. If I do get some time in the shop, I'm looking to continue work on my new workbench (cutting the tenon's for the base at this point).

Sunday's pretty much spoken for, what with church in the morning and then from about 6:00pm on I'll be checking out the "football scrimmage" mentioned above. :)

Tyler Howell
01-30-2004, 4:20 PM
Congrats Jim Hill 2. Your life will never be the same again.:D

Fred Voorhees
01-30-2004, 8:39 PM
Wifes sister will be visiting overnight tomorrow (Sat) and that will make for a good reason (as if I needed one) to spend as much time in the shop as possible. Am immersed in this arbor style clothesline supports project. Making three of them. Constructed of top grade cedar, they consist of double 4x4 uprights that are sandwiched at the top by double 2x6's and the four foot space between the uprights will have pvc lattice framed within so that we can grow morning glories in the summer time. Man, it was pricey, :eek: but should be well worth it when it is done and they have those "glories" worked through the lattice. Hope to post pics when they are in the ground next spring.

Fred

Julie Wright
01-30-2004, 9:04 PM
Congrats Jim

Lets see what will I be doing this weekend????
Oh yea, Freedom Pens!!! drilling blanks, getting ready to take some supplies to Stratford HS on Monday afternoon, Hopefully get to turn a few pens myself, Need to go to Woodcraft to set up a better Freedom Diaplay!!!

The highs down here in Charleston SC are an unbearable 60 Degrees today! I may have to put some jeans on to go work out in the shop. LOML just found out she is pregnant (with our first) and suddenly the list of projects that have to be done in the next 7 months is growing exponentially. I'm getting started on some built in cabinets for the laundry room tonight so we can start clearing out the room the baby will go in. Have a great weekend and good luck to whomever you may be rooting for on Sunday!

Jim

Joe Breid
01-30-2004, 10:05 PM
Saturday morning I will be working with my daughter who is going to build a mission style bed out of some ash that I bought awhile back.
In the afternoon my SIL and I will be hanging some cabinets that we have been building the last few weekends. Sunday will be church, more shop time and then fly to Knoxville TN, for three days of WARM weather. (anything above 10 degrees will seem warm after this past week.)

Joe

Thomas Prondzinski
01-30-2004, 10:15 PM
Made the platen for vaccum press,fired it up for a test run,will veneer some practice panels on Sat. out of Pommele Sapele,and Mottled Makore.Sure hope things go well

Tom

Matt Meiser
01-30-2004, 10:38 PM
Spent tonight installing a battery backup sump pump. The @#$%^Y&U switch on the main pump failed yesterday and we got 2" of water in the basement--where all the still to be unpacked boxes were sitting on the floor. Looks like everything will survive, but there was a lot of cleanup to do.

Picking up a truck with a lift gate Saturday morning to move all my equipment into my shop. Yep done "enough" to move on in. I still need to do trim work but having more tools available will make that easier. I'll also be able to start doing dust collection installation, electrical drops for machines, and a whole host of other projects.

Sunday, I'll be hanging all the freshly dried out pictures.

Bob Oswin
02-01-2004, 6:41 PM
Gooooooood Friday morning everyone,

So, any sawdust flying in your shop this weekend?

Have a great weekend allob
We are enjoying a continued cold snap with temperatures below -40 and winds gusting to 30 km.

Right now, its has stopped snowing and the sun is out (-22.)

I finally finished a small powder bowl for my wife that I have been playing with for some time. (spalted maple).
It was cracked on the outside so I lacquered it. (5 coats)
Matches her bathroom!

After snow blowing most of the morning- again! I am not really up to creating anything special!

Bob

Jim Hill 2
02-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the congrats! My wife is so busy reading books on pregnancy that I had plenty of time to work in the shop this weekend. Working on built in cabinets for the Laundry room. The corner cabinet is turning out to be a little trickier than I expected. I still have to bite the bullet and put some finish on a coffee table I spent 14 months working on. LOML doesn't like any of the colors I have managed to put on the scraps. Darker, not so red, not so brown... I would rather take my time and do it right on scraps before touching my labor of love. At least mine was more fun than hers will be! ;) So what did the rest of you get done this weekend?