PDA

View Full Version : Hawthorne & Reid drawer slides?

Kevin McPeek
09-07-2007, 9:07 PM
I'm in the process of building roll-out shelves for my base cabinets in the kitchen and was shopping for drawer slides.
I found some Hawthorne & Reid slides for a very reasonable price, but thought I'd ask around to see if anyone has used them before. They are 100# full extension slides. I found them at Ovis, whom I've never dealt with.
So, does anybody have experience with either the slides or the vendor?
Thanks.

Kevin McPeek
09-08-2007, 8:56 PM
Would there be a better place to post this?

Jamie Buxton
09-08-2007, 9:45 PM
This is a perfectly good place to post this question.

I've never heard of Hawthorne & Reid, and I'm generally pretty well-informed about woodworking stuff. The long silence from any other posters suggests that others are also drawing a blank. My guess is that the Hawthorne & Reid name is one cooked up by an importer who's bringing in hardware made by an overseas factory whose name might not sell as well.

David DeCristoforo
09-08-2007, 10:18 PM
"I've never heard of Hawthorne & Reid, and I'm generally pretty well-informed about woodworking stuff. The long silence from any other posters suggests that others are also drawing a blank."

I think you are dead on here. In over 35 years, this is the first I've heard of them.

"My guess is that the Hawthorne & Reid name is one cooked up by an importer who's bringing in hardware made by an overseas factory whose name might not sell as well."

That could be but their stuff looks awfully similar to Blum, Amerock and KV pieces so they could simply be "re-branded". Pretty cheap prices tho which would lean more toward your thought that they are "knock offs". The undermount glides are dead ringers for Blum's but the attachment clips are different.