PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the space under the stairs?

Michael Lutz
09-07-2007, 8:58 PM
I am still working on laying out my shop. Along one side I have a 3' wide stair case that goes out to the garage. I put my Oneida super gorilla dust collector under the taller portion of the stairs. The combination of the cyclone and filter essentially block access from the taller part of the under stairs. Along the side I have a stud wall open to underneath the stairs and dry walled above the stringers. I have conduit and dust collection ductwork running through some of the stud spacings. My TS and RAS on wheels are typically at rest against the wall. What could this space be used for?

Thanks,

Mike

glenn bradley
09-07-2007, 9:07 PM
Build in bins for cut offs?

Bruce Benjamin
09-07-2007, 9:40 PM
Have any annoying relatives that you want to just...Disappear?

Bruce

Pat Zabrocki
09-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Hmmmm.....valuable storage.... or ....making annoying relative disappear

tough choice
:)
Pat

Kent Fitzgerald
09-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Air compressor?

David G Baker
09-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Mine got captured and is being held hostage by many shelves and pegboard hooks holding pots and pans.

Randal Stevenson
09-08-2007, 4:59 AM
Look at the time this is posted. Insomnia, so I can't completely wrap my head around your description, but.

How about making some pull out clamp racks? Slide them out of the way when your done, and less for the wife to notice you adding to!

Michael Lutz
09-08-2007, 10:19 AM
I was looking it over, and I was thinking a combination of clamp storage and cutoff storage would be the best for the location and the access issues that it has.

Mike

Bill Arnold
09-08-2007, 11:41 AM
As you can see, I have a steel storage cabinet and my air compressor under the stairs. Since taking this photo, I've mounted hangers for extension cords and air hoses to the bottom of the stair treads. I can also roll my jointer under there. The steel cabinet contains mostly finishing supplies, solvents and spray guns.

Jim Heffner
09-26-2007, 10:21 AM
A good place to make a storage area for things that are necessary, but are always getting in the way when not in use.

John Stevens
09-26-2007, 11:16 AM
I can also roll my jointer under there.

I haven't done anything like that since the '60s, Bill...and these days I use that space for storing those Dead bootlegs that I never listen to any more. Everybody knows that you can only play "country" in your shop if you want to build cabinets straight and square. ;)

Regards,

John

Steve Roxberg
09-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Build in bins for cut offs?

Bingo, that's what I did, works great.

Jay Radke
09-26-2007, 1:17 PM
I saw in a mag where they used the stairs to make shelves for paint cans stains etc. All you have to do is nail a board to the bottom of the stairs.

What I have found handy with mine, in my basement (shop is in garage) is to use that are to store luggage. You can stack them all in there nice and tight and save some space.

Josiah Bartlett
09-26-2007, 4:32 PM
It's a good place for a dog bed, it gives your canine companion an out-of-the way place to stare at you while you work.

A horizontal tank air compressor.

Extra lumber storage

I hesitate to recommend storing flammables under stairs, because if they do happen to catch fire it immediately spreads up the stairs to the next floor and cuts off a potential exit.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-26-2007, 5:47 PM
It's where I keep my mother in law.

Bill Arnold
09-26-2007, 6:12 PM
I haven't done anything like that since the '60s, Bill...and these days I use that space for storing those Dead bootlegs that I never listen to any more. Everybody knows that you can only play "country" in your shop if you want to build cabinets straight and square. ;)

Regards,

JohnJohn,

Please note the "er" on the end of the word. :D

Depending on the mood, I'll start the day with "John-Boy and Billy" on the radio or anything from Fleetwood Mac to Faith Hill to Chicago to Melissa Etheridge on CD -- might even throw in a little Jon Secada! :cool: But, it's definitely Shania toward the end of the day when it's time to pop the top on a brewskie! ;)

Hey, it's five o'clock somewhere! Heck, it's after 6 here!!!!! :confused:

Bye y'all.

Del Williams
09-26-2007, 6:42 PM
Not the stairs into the workshop but it does lead to the room that does lead to the workshop. I have a very narrow, but fully functional bath. Toilet, small lav and small shower stall. You can almost accomplish activities requiring all three appliances simultaneously.

Bill Arnold
09-26-2007, 7:57 PM
Not the stairs into the workshop but it does lead to the room that does lead to the workshop. I have a very narrow, but fully functional bath. Toilet, small lav and small shower stall. You can almost accomplish activities requiring all three appliances simultaneously.
Nah. I'm not going to speak what just flashed in my mind.....;)

Bryan Parlor
09-26-2007, 8:10 PM
I hang gallon paint cans from screws in each riser - you can get 4 cans per step.

Bryan

Jeff Raymond
09-26-2007, 8:37 PM
I use that space to hide stuff from my wife.

Y'know.