PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Experience With ApplePly

Jeff Wright
09-07-2007, 4:52 PM
I have searched the archives for info on ApplePly. I am deciding on which ply to use for our kitchen cabinets. A pre-finished ply makes a lot of sense to me . . . I doubt the price difference is significant and it certaininly would result in a lot less work.

This question is directed to those of you who have personal experience using ApplePly. Were you pleased with the results? Can you share how it compares with other higher-quality kitchen cabinet materials (Baltic Birch, A-1 maple ply, etc.)? I am willing to pay extra for added quality. Thanks.

Jim Becker
09-07-2007, 9:05 PM
ApplePly is basically the equivalent of BB, albeit available in 4'x8' sheets instead of 5'x5' sheets. I have decided that any cabinetry I do will be made from this kind of material...you just can't beat the quality and consistency of the project. I have not tried any pre-finished stock at this point as I would have to order it, but am considering it for time savings on one particular project. But I'll not go back to "regular" plywood unless I must for a specific need of some sort that cannot be satisfied with BB/ApplyPly!

Ken Shoemaker
09-07-2007, 9:20 PM
Does apple ply come in QSWO?? or CHERRY??? And lastly, where would one get some in the Chicago area???

glenn bradley
09-07-2007, 9:28 PM
Does apple ply come in QSWO?? or CHERRY??? And lastly, where would one get some in the Chicago area???

Looks like alder and birch cores with no mention of veneers:

http://www.statesind.com/prod/ind_2a2.html

Jamie Buxton
09-07-2007, 9:32 PM
The appleply which I buy is maple, not birch. Like baltic birch, it is all-hardwood. In my suppliers, only maple is available. Appleply is good stuff. It is much more likely to be flat than baltic birch. I use it for lots of stuff. I've never seen it prefinished.

Rick Christopherson
09-08-2007, 1:38 AM
ApplePly is basically the equivalent of BB, Even though both products are high density veneer core plywood, ApplePly is a noticeably superior grade than Baltic Birch. The face veneer is maple versus birch, and the core is alder. The edge of ApplyPly machines better than Baltic Birch with less fraying of the cross-grain core laminations, but this is applicable only if you were going to route the edge. Both products cut fine with a saw.

As for the choice between ApplyPly and standard maple plywoods, I generally use standard plywood for cabinet construction, mainly due to cost. Also, depending on the quality of the maple plywood you have at your disposal, the face veneer is typically better than the high density veneer, but this may not be true when all you have access to is big-box plywood.

In the past, States Industries (see link in previous post) has produced other face veneers, but maybe this is no longer available.

Doug Shepard
09-08-2007, 8:12 AM
Anybody know what ApplePly typically costs compared to Baltic Birch? I know the size isnt the same so you cant do a direct compare, but what's 3/4 4x8 ApplePly in your area vs 3/4 5x5 Baltic Birch?
I'm a week or two away from buying some ply to do a benchtop along the lines of the one Sam Blasco did on http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22081
I need some longer (8') sheet stuff for the horizontal layers anyway and it sounds like the ApplePly would be good for that. Just wonder about the cost/benefit of doing the vertical layers in AP vs BB.

Nancy Laird
09-08-2007, 9:30 AM
We use 1/2" appleply for all of our drawer boxes, and it's great stuff. As Rick said, the edges machine better than BB, very easy to roundover with a router.

Nancy (104 days)

joe pezza
09-08-2007, 10:15 AM
I have used pre-finished maple ply for a coupe of cabinet projects.(bath) huge time savings for the carcass. just have to do the face frame and can dedicate the time savings to really put a nice face on the project. I am not crazy about the core of the ply, but i imagine it comes in diff cores.

I have not used apply, but i do use 5x5 baltic, and i did notice it can chipout very easily. generaly i raise my blades 2 inchs so it lessens the chip out on the top on the material. i have a scoreing blade, so bottom is not a problem. point being, i like the core of bb alot. it really holds screws well and is stonger than other plys because of the core makeup.

to answer your question, if your doing kitchen cabs, i would do dados and rabbits and use the ----Prefinished ply---. time savings is huge, and they put a factory pre catalyzed laquer fininsh than is excellent. you have plenty of work with the doors, draws frames etc..

joe p

Jeff Wright
09-08-2007, 10:20 AM
I appreciate all your replies. It appears ApplePly is well received. I have a supplier locally (who will sell to users of small amounts ) and I believe they can get it pre-finished with UV clearcoat.

Dick Latshaw
09-08-2007, 3:53 PM
I have a supplier locally (who will sell to users of small amounts ) and I believe they can get it pre-finished with UV clearcoat.

Jeff -

Who might that local supplier be? I'm always on the look out for additional sources.

Thanks.

Jeff Wright
09-08-2007, 4:04 PM
Jeff -

Who might that local supplier be? I'm always on the look out for additional sources.

Thanks.

Dick - My mistake. I had thought Quality Plywood had ApplePly listed on their website, but it is something they call Q-Ply. I'm not sure what that is. Here is their ply webpage:

http://www.qualityplywoodspec.com/

Who do you use for your plywood and hardwood sources. I am over in St Petersburg area.

Bill Arnold
09-08-2007, 4:11 PM
From the manufacturer's website:
"ApplePly is a premium quality veneer core panel constructed from uniform laminations of solid grade 1/16" Alder and Birch. This all hardwood core produces a strong, lightweight panel with a minimum number of voids and a naturally attractive edge. ApplePly is available from 1/4" through 1-1/4" in thickness and 48" X 96" and 48" X 120" panels."

The "Apple" designation is to differentiate it from imported maple plywood, as in "American as apple pie".

:)

Bill Arnold
09-08-2007, 4:16 PM
We use 1/2" appleply for all of our drawer boxes, and it's great stuff. ...Nancy,

Do you use any edging on the drawers you build? I've used maple ply with a top edge of solid maple to hide the edge of the ply. On another project, I used sandee ply with a top edge of cherry.

Thanks.

Jeff Wright
09-08-2007, 6:39 PM
I have used pre-finished maple ply for a coupe of cabinet projects.(bath) huge time savings for the carcass. just have to do the face frame and can dedicate the time savings to really put a nice face on the project. I am not crazy about the core of the ply, but i imagine it comes in diff cores . . . to answer your question, if your doing kitchen cabs, i would do dados and rabbits and use the ----Prefinished ply---. time savings is huge, and they put a factory pre catalyzed laquer fininsh than is excellent. you have plenty of work with the doors, draws frames etc..

joe p

Thanks for your comments Joe. I plan to use the Sommerfeld offset tongue and groove system. I like how it ensures a squared cabinet and the tremendous amount of gluing surfaces.

Nancy Laird
09-08-2007, 8:47 PM
Nancy,

Do you use any edging on the drawers you build? I've used maple ply with a top edge of solid maple to hide the edge of the ply. On another project, I used sandee ply with a top edge of cherry.

Thanks.

No, Bill, we don't edge the drawer boxes. We just round them over, sand a little, then wax them. Since we use overlay fronts, they show only when the drawer is open and no one seems to mind.

Nancy (104 days)

Bart Leetch
09-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Looks like alder and birch cores with no mention of veneers:

http://www.statesind.com/prod/ind_2a2.html
First paragraph on the url page mentioned above.
ApplePly
ApplePly is a premium quality veneer core panel constructed from uniform laminations of solid grade 1/16" Alder and Birch. This all hardwood core produces a strong, lightweight panel with a minimum number of voids and a naturally attractive edge. ApplePly is available from 1/4" through 1-1/4" in thickness and 48" X 96" and 48" X 120" panels.

Don Naples
09-09-2007, 1:17 PM
Jeff: Something I have not seen mentioned is Apple Ply is fractional in thickness rather then in millimeters. I use it in 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4" thicknesses. You can purchase C2 or Shopgrade. The Shopgrade can offer a savings if you can work around the flaws. Not a good choice for large panels. You should also watch for delamination as I have had some sheets that the glue dried before the lamination was complete. Check the edges. The surface finish is smoother than Baltic Birch and as has been mentioned, you can get it prefinished.
Don

Jim Becker
09-09-2007, 2:10 PM
First paragraph on the url page mentioned above.
ApplePly
ApplePly is a premium quality veneer core panel constructed from uniform laminations of solid grade 1/16" Alder and Birch. This all hardwood core produces a strong, lightweight panel with a minimum number of voids and a naturally attractive edge. ApplePly is available from 1/4" through 1-1/4" in thickness and 48" X 96" and 48" X 120" panels.

Yes, veneer core construction, but the OP and others were referring to availability with alternative veneers on the face(s).

Jeff Wright
09-09-2007, 2:27 PM
Jeff: Something I have not seen mentioned is Apple Ply is fractional in thickness rather then in millimeters. I use it in 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4" thicknesses. You can purchase C2 or Shopgrade. The Shopgrade can offer a savings if you can work around the flaws. Not a good choice for large panels. You should also watch for delamination as I have had some sheets that the glue dried before the lamination was complete. Check the edges. The surface finish is smoother than Baltic Birch and as has been mentioned, you can get it prefinished.
Don

Don, are you saying the best grade ApplePly is only C-2?

Bart Leetch
09-09-2007, 4:43 PM
Yes, veneer core construction, but the OP and others were referring to availability with alternative veneers on the face(s).

Sorry my mistake.:eek: :confused: :) :D

Anywho this is good information because I wanted to make the Fine Woodworking quick to make tool cabinet in the winter 2006-2007 magazine that they use BB for which has become hard to get.

Any suggestions on what to look for in Applyply are greatly apprecciated.

John Lucas
09-09-2007, 6:14 PM
There is some real good input in this thread. Thanks to all. One comment I would add, is that bb and baltic birch is now a generic name and a lot of people are making it...to their own standards...which arent the high standards we use to think about it. The big box stores have gotten very good at describing some of their multiple plys as baltic birch (even tho it comes from China...maybe the baltic province).
Appleply is a trademark for one specific producer and I have been using it for 16 years and never have had a bad lot. Did someone say "you get what you pay for."