PDA

View Full Version : Source & Price of Green Logs

Robert Rozaieski
09-07-2007, 3:27 PM
Anyone know of a good source for green logs in the Phila/Delaware area? Also, what should I expect to pay for unmilled green logs?

I'm interested in making a chair similar to those made in John Anderson's "Make a Chair from a Tree" video. I suppose I could look for someone cutting down a tree in the neighborhood but this could be very time consuming. I'd like to have a gauranteed source. Thanks!

Jim Becker
09-07-2007, 8:25 PM
You might try Heacock above Doylestown on Rt 611...they don't tend to dry their lumber. Willard Bros in Trenton may also be able to help you as they are affiliated with Shearer Penn. (a very large tree service)

Larry Gelder
09-07-2007, 9:14 PM
Suggest you contact someone in the Tree Removal business and tell them what your looking for. Ask how much they'd charge to leave it in your dirveway or if you need to pick it up at the site. I'd tell them I'm looking a 40-in length (min), 14-in diameter (min) section, from an oak or cherry tree that was growing straight and tall (not slanted). If you go to the job site you'll need to split it in quarters or get the crew to help you load it. A hand truck's helpful too.

Jim Nardi
09-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Call the City hall see what happens to the timber they cut down. Big tree services should have no problem's either. Just make sure you don't get limb stock. Should be cheap under 50 bucks for enough for a chair.