PDA

View Full Version : What's the best cordless brand for batteries?

Louis Brandt
09-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Hello,
I’m confused when it comes to cordless tools and their batteries. I know that some 18 volt batteries have better reputations than others, and I know that some cost much more than others, but cost aside, which brand of cordless tool battery holds a charge longer and is more reliable than the others? In other words, if I want to begin to accumulate a good set of reliable cordless tools, which brand should I look for and which brand should I stay away from? I'm not looking for Li-Ion, just the standard 18 volt type.
Louis

Bert Johansen
09-07-2007, 1:24 PM
Louis, I did a search on FWW's article index and found an old article on batteries that is way out of date. Sounds like someone should do a new review of the subject. However, I suggest you rethink your decision to stay away from Li-Ion powered tools. Having worn out Ni-MH batteries from a host of suppliers (Bosch, Makita, Hitachi, Craftsman, Black & Decker etc.) I'm not a fan of anything with these batteries.

From what I've read and from some experience, I believe the Li-Ion is a much better solution. About a year ago I purchased the Bosch PS40-2 10.8 volt impact driver and it is awesome. The charge lasts a very long time, the charge doesn't degrade sitting on the bench, and it delivers plenty of torque.

Vic Damone
09-07-2007, 2:13 PM
I'm not going to pretend to know a great deal about battery technology or which is the 'best' performing brand. I've owned a Makita and a DeWalt NiCad powered drills and replaced batteries on both. I've since been using Hilti drill and now an impact driver. Hilti offers a choice of either NiCad or MeHd, I chose NiCad. If their batteries begin to shorten their charge there is a button on the charger that you press which, I believe, repolarizes the batteries cells.

Whatever it does, it works. I have yet to need new batteries and they hold a long charge. I'm sure there is a more detailed explanation on their site.

Vic

Steve Clardy
09-07-2007, 2:17 PM
My line up of Bosch drills all have the Blue-core batteries.

3 year warranty on the batteries. I really like them.

Bill Huber
09-07-2007, 2:18 PM
I agree with Burt, the Li-Ion are really very good. I think that in the future that is all that will be out there and the older batteries will become had to find.

Dave Sweeney
09-07-2007, 2:21 PM
If you sign up for the free Limited Lifetime Service Agreement when you purchase Ridgid cordless tools, you'll get free replacement batteries for as long as you live. Pretty hard to beat that deal.

Bill Wyko
09-07-2007, 3:16 PM
NMH batteries will run until the moment of death but they should be run all the way down, left to cool then recharged fully. LI batteries can be run down and recharged anytime through the cycle and are much smaller. IMHO LI is the way to go.

Eric Gustafson
09-07-2007, 3:26 PM
NMH batteries will run until the moment of death but they should be run all the way down, left to cool then recharged fully. LI batteries can be run down and recharged anytime through the cycle and are much smaller.

I have some NIMH batteries in my portable radio. If I let them run down until dead, one cell will go so low that the "smart" charger thinks it is dead and will not recharge. I take a 9volt battery to the "dead" cell and charge it for 5 or ten seconds. That raises its voltage high enough that the charger will now accept it and charge.

I can do that because I have individual cells in my radio, but if someone is using a battery pack, they will be up the creek. Better not to let the pack completely discharge IMO. :rolleyes: