PDA

View Full Version : router jig for cutting circles/ovals

Roger Barga
01-30-2004, 3:35 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a recommendation on a router jig/attachment that will allow me to accurately cut circles and ovals using my router. My goal is to make tables (circular/oval) with veneered and marquetry centers (18" to 24" in diameter) that have hardwood hardwood trim/edges (2" to 4" wide). I have made one table like this before using handmade templates but it was time consuming and the results weren't perfect so it required some filling to close up gaps between the center and hardwood trim.

So, I'd like a jig/attachment that I could use to first trim the veneered MDF to size (circle/oval) and then adjust to cut the hardwood trim so it would fit as close as possible (and cut the outer edge of the hardwood trim as well).

Is there a jig/attachment for the router that has this kind of precision or are handmade templates the way to go?

Cheers,
Roger

Tom Hintz
01-30-2004, 5:13 AM
See the link below for just one of the circle jigs available for the router. You can also make them yourself for specific diameters. The nice thing about the one at the link is that it is adjustable, and already made if that is appealing to you.

http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=5960&sid=AF580

Watch this thread for more suggestions as well. there are lots of ways to handle this job!

Walt Pater
01-30-2004, 6:33 AM
Roger, take a look at a Radial Arm Mill Router:
www.tenfingerscorp.com. Sign up for their online newsletter for special deals. Walt.

Mike Cutler
01-30-2004, 9:42 AM
Roger. Take a look at the Micro Fence system. This is an incredibly accutate jig that excels at making circles and ovals. The system comes available as different packages, but each package is compatible with the rest of the system options. If you need to make really large circles as I did,you may have to make your own trammel arm. I was definitely outside of the normal bounds of the tool, or any other tool I could purchase, with the project I had to do. I believe the web address is www.microfence.com. I don't work for Micro Fence and I am not affiliated with them in any way.

Roger Barga
02-08-2004, 4:50 AM
Thanks Mike, the Micro Fence was exactly what I was hoping to find. I ordered a package that included the basic jig and the circle cutting jig. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

cheers,
roger

Roger. Take a look at the Micro Fence system. This is an incredibly accutate jig that excels at making circles and ovals. The system comes available as different packages, but each package is compatible with the rest of the system options. If you need to make really large circles as I did,you may have to make your own trammel arm. I was definitely outside of the normal bounds of the tool, or any other tool I could purchase, with the project I had to do. I believe the web address is www.microfence.com. I don't work for Micro Fence and I am not affiliated with them in any way.

Jim Becker
02-08-2004, 9:12 AM
Roger. Take a look at the Micro Fence system.

I second the motion on MicroFence. Not inexpensive, but exquisitely engineered. I bought mine from Bill Hylton at one of the shows...after watching him demonstrate it at several previous shows. It was hard to justify the cost at first, but I'm really glad I bought it.

In the pic below, I'm cutting out the top for a cherry candle stand using the MicroFence jig set up for circles.