PDA

View Full Version : What I learned from a good demo

Gordon Seto
09-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Doug Thompson did a full size cowboy hat demo for our Club last month. That was the fourth such demo I have seen. The first three never inspired me. They were good; I enjoyed watching them as entertainment. It was like a beginner watching Richard Raffan DVD; you hope you can do that someday but intimidated.
Doug talked to us in our level. He said his techniques can be applied to thin wall turning. It inspired my wife to take the core-out from the hat demo home; she demanded me to try a mini hat. I said I don’t have the light fixture, so I turned this thin wall bowl.
It is 6½” diameter by 3½” high, Danish oil finish and buffed. Wood was from Doug’s hat demo, which he salvaged from the city dump. He said it was some sort of maple. It has 1/16” wall thickness and weights 2.1 oz. Comments welcomed
BTW, Doug himself is not using the grind that he posted in his web site. He uses a free hand grind. http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/sharpening.asp I didn’t want to mess up my Thompson bowl gouge. So I used my Sorby and adapted his free hand grind. Sorry, Doug

Gordon

Alex Cam
09-07-2007, 11:57 AM
1/16" -- that's impressive. Very nice.

Rich Stewart
09-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Looks like you are turning that in your living room. Very nice looking bowl.

Gordon Seto
09-07-2007, 3:16 PM
The first 3 pictures were the Doug Thompson doing the hat demo at our Club. We met at the YMCA Camp Y-Noah. This is the craft room. It is a nice place to have our monthly meeting.

Comments are welcomed.

Gordon

Bernie Weishapl
09-07-2007, 7:06 PM
Gordon that is something. I would like to watch a hat being turned.

Jon Lanier
09-07-2007, 8:01 PM
Gordon that is something. I would like to watch a hat being turned.

Then I think you should challenge your self to meet that goal. Turn a hat and you can watch it being done at the same time. You can do it!!! :cool:

Steve Schlumpf
09-07-2007, 9:48 PM
Gordon - looks like that must have been one heck of a good demo! Really like your bowl! Great color and finish!

Ernie Nyvall
09-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Nice job Gordon.

Doug Thompson
09-08-2007, 11:20 AM
I saw this at the club meeting this past weekend... Gordon did a very nice job on this and it weights nothing.

Green wood turned thin can be bent almost any way you want (within limits) then dried in a day or two with a simple light bulb.