PDA

View Full Version : Festool DS400 Owners: would you buy again

Matt Meiser
09-07-2007, 10:16 AM
For those who own the Festool DS400 sander (the one with the iron-shaped pad), would you buy it again? I have a cheap B&D Mouse with that shape pad--and never use it. But it doesn't have dust collection, vibrates badly, and I can only get questionable quality sandpaper for it. Is this a must-have tool or one of those times it is just better to sand by hand and save $200+ by the time you buy a collection of paper?

Tim Sproul
09-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Easier to get into recessed corners....how often do you forget to surface prep before assembly or do you need to touch-up the surface before final finishing? If these or similar things never happen to you, then you won't appreciate the triangular pad. You could also look at the Deltex....but the smaller total footprint andthe more aggresive action of the Deltex allows you to more easily gouge the surface.

Jim Becker
09-07-2007, 10:27 AM
I have the 400 and actually have both the "iron" shaped detail pad as well as the rectangular pad. It's good for what it's designed to do, but it is a little more vibration prone than my 150/3 and Rotex. No matter, I don't use it much nor for long periods of time. It's a specialty tool, IMHO.

Scott Coffelt
09-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Not used all the time, but works when I need it.

Philip Glover
09-07-2007, 10:59 AM
I have the same set-up as Jim.
I do use the rectangular pad on a regular basis, as in all my projects.

Regards,
Phil

Matt Meiser
09-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Isn't the Fein a detail sander? This is different that that--more analagous to the Mouse.

Jason White
09-07-2007, 11:27 AM
I have this sander and like it. It's certainly one of the cheaper Festool sanders. I also have the RS400, which is the same sander with the rectangular-shaped pad.

Would I buy again? Yes and no. The older model (which I have) can "hop" around a bit in tight corners, especially with the dust collector suction set too high. Festool just came out with a newer model of this sander and it's supposed to be a bit smoother. To be honest, though, it was a pretty smooth sander already. But, given a choice, I'd buy the newer model.

Because of it's shape and intended use (getting into corners), you're going to find that the "tip" of the sandpaper and pad will wear out before the rest of the paper does. I also have the 93 "Deltex" detail sander with is also triangular in shape, but when the tip of the paper wears out on the Deltex, I can just rotate the paper around and expose a fresh tip thereby extending the life of the paper. You can't do that with the RS400.

If you're doing heavy stock or finish removal in very tight spaces, go for the Deltex. If you're just doing moderate sanding inside drawers and cabinets, go for the DS400 (or newer version).

JW

For those who own the Festool DS400 sander (the one with the iron-shaped pad), would you buy it again? I have a cheap B&D Mouse with that shape pad--and never use it. But it doesn't have dust collection, vibrates badly, and I can only get questionable quality sandpaper for it. Is this a must-have tool or one of those times it is just better to sand by hand and save $200+ by the time you buy a collection of paper?

Philip Glover
09-07-2007, 12:13 PM
I have the DX93 as well. It is the better option when there is a lot of corner sanding to do. I use this sander mainly for refinishing / stripping jobs.

Regards,
Phil

Mike Spanbauer
09-07-2007, 1:03 PM
Isn't the Fein a detail sander? This is different that that--more analagous to the Mouse.

You're right Matt, I was thinking the DX93.

mike

Steven Wilson
09-07-2007, 5:02 PM
I have the RS400, ETS 150/3, and the RO150. I like using the RS400 for sanding drawers and inside corners of cabinets. Works better than the Speedblock I used before.