PDA

View Full Version : Drying a 25" x 25" log for drum turning?

Brian Weick
09-07-2007, 10:10 AM
I am in the process of finding a log that I can turn into a drum shell for David L. and any information on drying/turning method would be of great help to me. I have heard of boiling and DNA or naturally drying (that process I don't have time for-years) If you have any ideas- let me know-thank you!
Happy Turning:)
Brian

Harvey M. Taylor
09-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Turn it to about 2 or 2and one-half in. wall thickness green, then dna, boil or whatevewr your preference is , then when it is dry finish turn it. My thoughts on this, Max

Patrick Taylor
09-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Boiling that would take a big pot!

I'd do as Max said and DNA it, but use a solid cylinder in the middle of the piece during DNA soaking so you're not buying 100 gallons of DNA. :) Maybe a creative trash bag wrapping job would do it.

Kim Ford
09-07-2007, 2:03 PM
Brain, Dave Smith has as good article on the DNA process. And there are a lot of folks here that know what they are doing when it comes to this process. Try this post as well: http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...cles_473.shtml

Also if you use the DNA process, go to a wholesale paint supplier and buy the material by the drum. It is $9 a gallon retail at our paint store in the one gallon containers. In bulk probably around $7.

That aside, the real key to the process is to release all of the stress in the wood. Remember wood does not crack from the drying process, it cracks because the wood cannot bend enough to accomodate the stress that comes from the drying process. Depending on the wood, the shape and the grain structure, you may need to go through the drying process more than once to accomplish what is necessary to achieve the finished product.

Thanks Kim

Brian Weick
09-07-2007, 2:41 PM
Thank you for the info- It is definitely appreciated -You can't help but to love this place -:D thanks turners. Kim, Yea- you are write about the cracking issue with wood, I just never came upon a project like this so I am going down the road less traveled --ooooooooohhhhh! that sounds a little scary- LOL Thanks turners!
Happy turnings :)
Brian