PDA

View Full Version : Purple Heart and Cherry a Test for the Domino

Brad Olson
09-07-2007, 8:34 AM
Even though I have Neanderthal leanings, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a Festool Domino. Yes it was expensive and yes it is overpriced, but it does promise a lot. One of the nice things about Festool is that they give you 30 days to see if you like a tool, if not you can return it no questions asked.

BTW, the Domino only cost 1.5X what I have previously spent on one handtool. However, I spent more on the domino than I spent on my table saw and drum sander and planer combined, so this was a huge investment for my shop.

So I picked one up with a systainer full of dominos and decided to put it through its paces.

The result? The machine is fantastic. Not only does it save a huge amount of time, the accuracy of the machine is quite amazing. It is nearly brainless to make a loose tenon joint.

As an acid test, I decided to make a near replica of a table I have made previously with the exception of using Purple Heart and Michigan Cherry.

So the big promise of the domino is twofold. First it promises wicked fast M&T joints and in this regard it is a success. In my original iteration of this table, the M&T joinery was done with a Tenon jig and Mortise machine. The huge difference in the projects is that the M&T joints on the original table took about 4 hours to complete from start in the shop for the day, to setting up and tuning the machines to fine tuning the tenons with a plane to the glue-up.

With the domino, the M&T production part took approximately 30 minutes and this time could have been cut down considerably if I was more familiar with the machine (these were some of my first cuts with the machine). Add in another 20 minutes for glue-up and we have an approximately 75% time savings.

Now what about the accuracy. I have to say that I am VERY impressed with this part of the machine. One of the things I absolutely hate about machine cut joints is all the time you spend setting up machines and not handling wood. With the domino, I literally pulled it out of the box, plugged it in, set the depth of the wood and mortise and started cutting with the index pins. 30 minutes later I was assembling a table that was near dead on 90 degrees perfect throughout.

The strength of the joints didn't seem to be any different than a regular M&T joint. I used a handplane to do some light trimming before putting on the top and not only were there racking forces from the plane but I also sat on the leg/apron assembly to keep it in place. Unlike biscuits, I had no qualms about strength.

Now a few minor dislikes. First, the machine is metric, so you do have to convert to inches. I just did the conversion for the numbers the domino uses on a card and put it in the systainer. Also when it is humid (like 80%) the dominos fit a little bit tighter than I would like. It isn't a huge issue and the effect is more that it is hard to disassemble a dry fitting and doesn't affect assembly. Since the dominoes themselves have glue recesses I am not too worried about a glue starved joint.

Overall, I am pleased with the purchase. It is definitely a luxury and the only reason I could afford it was because I wrote a book chapter that I got paid for.

Art Mulder
09-07-2007, 8:48 AM
I wrote a book chapter that I got paid for.

Do tell! Sounds gloat-worthy.

Nice review as well, and stunning photo. The more I read about it, the more a Domino seems to be on the horizon. But much like you, I first need to earn some "splurge" money.

Jim Becker
09-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Nice review and great looking project!

Craig Thompson
09-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Brad,

Nice looking table. Straight forward review.
Being that you are also in MI, Where do you go lumber shopping??

Brad Olson
09-07-2007, 12:37 PM
The purpleheart is from Johnson's Lumber (www.theworkbench.com) and the cherry is from the upper peninsula. A friend got a killer deal on it for $0.70 per BDFT. Although that sounds great it is log run so only about 50-60% is usable for furniture. The the case of this table I had to go to great lengths to hide some defects and sapwood.

In general Johnson's have very reasonable prices so I shop there, I also get their best pricing with my woodworking group to make it even better.

As to the book chapter, I suppose there is a gloat there, but it is work related, not woodworking. The check was a nice bit of icing to buy a new toy er tool.

Mark Duginske
09-08-2007, 8:36 PM
I have been using the Domino for a week or so and am still getting to know it. Brad has some interesting points that are worthwhile. My first test was making an Arts and Crafts chair.

It is an A+ tool. It is very creative and a serious step forward. One thing that I did was to drill holes in the cast iron tablesaw extension table on one of my tablesaws so I could use the rip fence to support the board. I also drilled some holes to mount the Kreg Clamp (vice grip....drill press type).
This way I can secure boards instantly at the same location very securely.

For angled mortises I use the same clamp to secure the angled Domino fence
on the back curved stretchers. There are a lot of options with this machine and it is wonderful for prototypes.

Brad Olson
09-08-2007, 9:08 PM
Hi Mark,

You know I was at a woodworking expo this weekend and looking at those Kreg extrusions with the same idea. Only thing that kept me away was those extrusions are $50 so I am going to use some scrap T-track instead and some flip clamps.

Sounds like your solution is a bit comprehensive though.

When I originally got the machine, I scratched out a prototype table from scrap. The cool thing is that the dominos hold well enough that you don't need glue. It is prefect for prototypes because you can disassemble them and make adjustments and then re-assembly it and it will stay together reasonably well.

Jason Tuinstra
09-08-2007, 9:57 PM
Brad,

Great job. My neighbor bought one recently and I've been meaning to play with it but I haven't had a chance. I guess I'll have to go raid his garage now :D :p BTW, I like how the purple heart and the cherry go together. I'm not much of a fan of p.h. but this really looks good together.