PDA

View Full Version : Epiolog Mini 18 Air Assist

Brian Robison
09-07-2007, 8:11 AM
I started to e mail Epilog then I figured I get an answer here and it may help others too.
I have a mini 18 and it's got the standard lens, I'm pretty sure it's a 2 inch. I've got some things to engrave and I'd need to remove the auto focus and the air assist. Instead of running at it like a bull in a china shop (my normal way of going about things) I thought I'd actually ask for directions, not very manly of me I know.:rolleyes:

Kim Vellore
09-07-2007, 2:23 PM
Brian,
It is pretty simple to remove them both, the air assist is just a bent tube held by a set screw on the top side. You will need an HEX key (Alan key) to remove the screw. The Autofocus plunger is simple to remove too, I don't remember exactly how I took it off but I know you got to be careful to catch the spring before it falls off. I have been changing lenses so I have removed these parts. One of these days I'll make a flexible attachment for the air assist which is useful. I have never used autofocus, I use a thin steel ruler and focus to my object. The focal length I determine by rastering a anodized Al part and look for the brightest spot for each lens and have them written them down on the laser for reference.

Kim

Brian Robison
09-07-2007, 3:16 PM
Thanks Kim, I've taken the auto focus off, it just unscrews. I figured the air was easy too but I thought I'd check first.

Stephen Beckham
09-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Brian,

Just visited the Indy show today and was talking pros/cons of removal of both. Yes the only problem with the plunger is the spring - gonna do it first thing when I'm back in the office.

On the air assist - my sales rep gave me what he called advice to live by. Don't mess with the air assist tube. He asked that I trust him without further explaination...

I hadn't thought of that one because I use it often, but I'm going to head his warning for now - please update us if you do remove it and give any insight as to why he may have suggested leaving that tube alone...

Jim Watkins
09-08-2007, 12:41 AM
You know the tech at my distributers told me that it is no problem removing the air assist tube or the auto focus plunger. I have done neither yet, but I plan to remove the auto focus soon as it interferrs with small cylinder objects on the rotoray tool.

I burn too much wood to remove the air assist myself, but he did say it was easy and won't hurt a thing.

I don't see why the rep. could not tell you why not to remove it, if it would hurt the machine, he is being irresponsible not telling you why...

my 2¢ anyway.

Frank Corker
09-08-2007, 5:35 AM
The reason why the rep would not recommend your removing the air assist is for the obvious fire issues. If you are inexperienced then he is right to suggest that you leave well alone.

Thad Nickoley
09-09-2007, 3:14 PM
I took my auto focus off a long time ago and the air assist I take off and put on all the time.

Dave Fifield
09-09-2007, 8:17 PM
To save time, I keep two sets of lenses - one set with the air assist and auto-focus stuff removed and the other set with it all in place. A bit expensive, but it works well for me.

Cheers,

Stephen Beckham
09-09-2007, 10:42 PM
I checked back with him - he didn't mean to sound so cloak and dagger about it - his comment was that any damage to the tube would cause the air to go the wrong direction and there isn't much for a calibration technique. I guess he know's I've got gorilla fingers and might bend my tube the wrong way...

Brian Robison
09-10-2007, 7:03 PM
Got it off. Little set screw on the side. I've got a couple jobs that I needed it off for.