PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking store Central NJ

Mike Kenney
09-06-2007, 10:29 PM
I cant seem to find any hopefully somebody knows where one is without having to drive 50 miles

thanks
Mike

Paul B. Cresti
09-06-2007, 11:16 PM
The only one left that I know of is Force Machinery on Route 22 in Union I believe. Since Woodworkers Warehouse went belly-up their ain't no one left. I think there might be one other one called "The Tool Chest" up in North Jersey somwhere, I was there a few years back, but I can not remember where.

Richard Niemiec
09-07-2007, 8:24 AM
Force is about the best you can do, and its really more of a power tool store. You won't find many hand tools, and if you do, they will not be what you are likely looking for.

Closest to me is the Allentown PA Woodcraft, the store has a website you can click to from the main WC site; about a mile off of I-78; to give you an idea, its about 35 minutes or so from the NJ/PA border on 78. When I go I also stop at the Allentown Harbor Freight for consumables; HF is a little further but not all that far. regards.rn

Jim Becker
09-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Many NJ folks head to the Woodcraft that Richard mentions as well as Woodworker's Haven in Southampton PA, depending on where they are coming from. And Bob Marino has a nice Festool "showroom" in mid-east NJ by appointment.

Dave Watkins
09-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Dude, there is NOTHING. The closest things are MLCS/Penn State and Woodcraft in PA, but it's not like they are right across the river. I've never been, I just do the mail order thing which is a PIA when you just need one item, the time and shipping kills ya. I really can't believe that NJ can't support a Woodcraft or Rockler or the like.

Oh well, someday maybe, nahhh well just put in more Verizon, bagel, and dry cleaner joints.

Take care,

Dave

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-07-2007, 1:28 PM
I use the internet

Richard Niemiec
09-07-2007, 1:33 PM
I had the thought, very briefly, of exploring the Woodcraft or other franchise program, but the economics of such a venture are daunting even without paying the franchise and startup fees which I am sure the franchisor wants. The real estate market in NJ really puts a franchise store in the hole to begin with, as to generate sales and instructional class revenue, you need a fairly high profile, high traffic location that is convenient to customers, which means the suburban areas of Morris, Essex or Union counties and that costs in rent, plus percentage kickers based on sales if you are in a strip mall location. You could locate further out in Somerset or Hunterdon for some rent savings, but I don't think the "If you build it, they will come" mantra works in the Garden State.

Here in NJ we all remember that the Woodworker's Warehouse stores all failed (although that might have been a larger, corporate issue), but if individual stores had the sales volume with positive margin at a given location it would likely have been kept/acquired by someone. Without the support of a franchisor to get the type of product that would truly distinguish the store from the obvious competion (Force, Borg, Lowes, etc.), stocking an independent store would be one long logistics nightmare. Bottom line is that somebody likely much smarter than me has already run the numbers and they don't make sense in the NJ market, so I dropped the idea.

RN

Brian Gumpper
09-07-2007, 5:02 PM
Like the others said, I lived in Middlesex and Monmouth counties my whole life except the last two years and I don't know of any. There was a lumber supplier in Old Bridge but I don't know if he's there anymore.

Jeffrey Schronce
09-07-2007, 5:43 PM
I can't fathom why Rocker has not opened a big super store in Philly/NJ/NY area. What a huge under served market.

Ray Bersch
09-07-2007, 6:10 PM
I know what you mean Mike, sometimes you just want to touch and feel before you buy and sometimes just browsing gives you a better idea on how to handle certain projects. I felt like Richard, there must be a demand for such a store in Central New Jersey - however, I did look at the franchise fees and estimates for start-up and knowing the NJ real estate I dropped the idea - best money I never lost. Consider that Woodworker's had some of the best locations in NJ - Rt 1 in Edison and across the street from Force on Rt 22 in Springfield and they went down. Consider, too, that Rockler bought out the Portland, Maine store which I frequent because I spend so much time in Maine but they did not buy the NJ stores. So, I have gotten used to the internet and I make a special note of stores where I may travel and can reel off the locations - like the Allentown and Downingtown, PA Woodcraft or the Woodworker's Heaven that Jim mentioned - my wife just knows that I will stop in one of those when we visit our friends out that way. I have even stopped in the Portsmouth, NH Woodcraft on my way home from Maine when the Portland Rockler store did not have want I want. So, it ain't so difficult after all, you just need to travel more!!

By the way, guys, how about adding your location to your public info - I know Jim 'cause I bought some things from him - he is not too far in PA, I talked to Richard earlier this summer so I know where he is and I think I remember Paul being in Ringos - maybe we should get together and talk girls or something - there is a dearth of woodworking clubs in this area also ('cept turning!!)

Jeffrey Makiel
09-07-2007, 6:15 PM
Nope...there's nothing around here in NJ anymore.

I to mourn the loss of Woodworkers Warehouse.

Force Machinery is only 15 minutes away, but as mentioned above, they don't specifically target the home woodworker enthusiast. Also, Woodworkers Warehouse often had nice sales on machinery that made internet mailorder (including associated shipping hastles) much less attractive. I bet Force Machinery was glad they closed for there was a Woodworkers Warehouse almost directly across the street on Route #22 from them.

I sent Woodcraft a comment 6 months ago during one of their polls indicating that this void in NJ that has never been filled. I believe the Woodworkers Warehouse stores were doing OK, but they had a lot a corporate baggage from the Trendlines days...at least that's what I heard from an employee during the final few days.

I agree that real estate prices in NJ, especially in Union County were I live, are ridiculous. I believe they are begining to drop though. However, this may mark the begining of a long overdue recession of which is not a good time to begin a new retail business that caters to one's disposable income.

Over the last 10 years, I'm seeing hardwood suppliers in NJ go by the doo-doo bird too. On the bright side, there's no shortage of Dunkin Donuts!

-Jeff :)

Mike Kenney
09-07-2007, 9:13 PM
I knew it was a strech but thanks to all for the replys who whould have thunk that I had a better chance in Brooklyn trying to find a WW store. I also plan on trying to make it to CJWA this week if anyones a member.

Wilbur Pan
09-07-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm a CJWA member. It's well worth going to the meetings. Especially since you're in Manalapan -- it's not far at all.

For what it's worth, I got into woodworking about a year ago, and I've found a local woodworking club to be a much better asset than a local woodworking store. Being able to meet and talk with other woodworkers is a very underrated resource. Having SMC and the internet is great, but there's something about face to face meetings that a forum can't replace, especially when talking about techniques and tips.

From East Brunswick, I've gone to the Allentown Woodcraft, and I also have road tripped to the New Castle Woodcraft in Delaware for those 10% off sales. That one seems to be bigger and has a nicer setup, and one of the CJWA members works there.

But I agree that between our real estate taxes and the cost of real estate in NJ, opening a woodworking store is a dicey proposition, especially since woodworking hobbiest sales depend so heavily on disposable income, and given how much complaining gets done on this forum when $80 Biesemeyer fences appear at Lowes (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=64215&), I'm not sure you could rely on that revenue stream.

Besides, it's not all bad. If there was a Woodcraft in NJ, we'd have to pay sales tax on anything that was mail ordered from them. ;)

Curt Harms
09-08-2007, 9:43 AM
I can't fathom why Rocker has not opened a big super store in Philly/NJ/NY area. What a huge under served market.
They replied that they're always evaluating new markets. I assume they evaluated the New York-Philly MegaMess and didn't like the result. It doesn't seem to me that there's a lot of DIYers in the area. If that's not it, I'm not sure. There's certainly not a lack of disposable income.

Curt

Robert LaPlaca
09-09-2007, 7:33 PM
<Gloat alert>

I am a Charlotte North Carolina transplant (Yankee), who lived in Central NJ for 45 years. NJ is like the woodworking store black hole, it's either Force Machinery or nothing. Here in Charlotte, we have Woodcraft, Klingspor and a few other smaller outfits, it's really great, love it.

From a lumber perspective, I do miss trips to Groff and Groff and Hearne though..

</end gloat alert>

Steven Herbin
09-09-2007, 8:17 PM
I know the feeling well. It seemed that the day we moved here from NY, the WW store on route 1 in Edison closed.

Luckily I found a supplier (actual a few of them) for wood other than the Borgs (Edison Millwork, Monteath.

I've taken a few trips to Force for some quick Festool supplies, but that's just about it for tools. Everything is now internet (Amazon, McFeelys, et al).

Jeffrey Makiel
09-09-2007, 8:43 PM
Steve,
That Edison Woodworkers Warehouse store on Route #1 was on my way home from work. I've saved a lot of money since it closed. ;)

But who cares about money. The goal is to die with about ten dollars overdrawn in the checking account.

-Jeff :)

Justin Rapp
03-25-2022, 10:33 PM
I know this is an old post, but I just got a notice from Rockler that they are opening a store in Moorstown NJ, which is near Cherry Hill.

They even posted job openings on their web page.

Jim Becker
03-26-2022, 10:08 AM
That would be a nice thing, Justin. There is such a dearth of actual woodworking stores here in the Delaware Valley area. If I wanted to go to Woodcraft, it would be up in Allentown. (There was actually one local in Bensalem when I first started woodworking in the late 1990s) Moorestown is a reasonable distance for a field trip if I ever wanted Rockler stuff. I've only ever been in one of their stores...Denver area...in all the time I've been involved in woodworking. They do have some things I might be interested in over time.

Jeff, I used to stop at the Woodworker's Warehouse store in Wilmington DE and later in Flemington NJ when they still were in existence. I still have a few things purchased from them years ago.

Prashun Patel
03-26-2022, 11:16 AM
I used to miss bricks and mortar ww stores in nj, but now? What’s the point? Everything is available online. Also, every bricks and mortar store I’ve been in has “experts” whose advice is over confident and often wrong.

I’d rather have a few more local restaurants than a ww store.

The irony is that some of the largest warehouses are right here in central / south nj. So the product is here and online, we often get stuff in a small number of days.

Jim Becker
03-26-2022, 11:29 AM
I don't disagree, Prashun, physical stores are less compelling. But then again, it's sometimes fun to be able to browse things and fondle them. :)

Aaron Rosenthal
03-26-2022, 10:16 PM
Although I don’t go as often to browse as I used to, with 7.00/gallon gas, my local Lee Valley is fun to visit.

Alex Zeller
03-27-2022, 12:58 AM
It's also nice when you change your mind in the middle of a project and need something and not want to wait a couple days while your project comes to a screeching halt. Of course I live in a wasteland where finding a store with more than a dozen router bits is impossible less than 2 hours away is impossible.

Billy Stray
03-27-2022, 8:52 AM
I can still remember when all the home depot stores started popping up, followed by Lowes
The independent tool stores started dropping like flies along with ww warehouse.
There's still an old school tool store in Southern Massachusetts called "Burns powertool" that's very woodworker oriented. You can buy shaper cutters right off the wall and they have their own in house sharpening & cutter grinding service . I make it a point to spend every tool dollar I have there because it would be pretty sad for it to go under....

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TOOL STORE !!!!

Bryan Lisowski
03-27-2022, 9:14 AM
I would still rather drive to Allentown or Delaware to go to Woodcraft than Rockler. There used to be a place in Union that was a tool store and a Rockler and it was not stocked well. Probably why it closed down, along with location being difficult to get to on Route 22.

Justin Rapp
03-27-2022, 10:57 AM
I would still rather drive to Allentown or Delaware to go to Woodcraft than Rockler. There used to be a place in Union that was a tool store and a Rockler and it was not stocked well. Probably why it closed down, along with location being difficult to get to on Route 22.

There is a difference between a full rockler store and a hardware store with a rockler 'add-on'. While I tend to like Woodcraft better, I have been to a the Orlando Rockler stores that is huge, well stocked, and bigger than the woodcraft stores I have been it.

johnny means
03-27-2022, 6:49 PM
As a Delawarean, I gotta mention that the Woodcraft in Newcastle, DE would be tax free. Might be worth the drive for bigger purchases.

Justin Rapp
03-27-2022, 10:00 PM
As a Delawarean, I gotta mention that the Woodcraft in Newcastle, DE would be tax free. Might be worth the drive for bigger purchases.

It would have to be for a pretty large purchase to make it worth it to save the tax ($1000+) From my area, it's an added $13-14 in tolls, plus about 90 extra miles plus time round trip passed where the new rockler store will be. But for those in South Jersey, it makes it more of a choice which way to go.

Jim Becker
03-28-2022, 9:24 AM
And you really don't save on the sales tax if you follow the law and pay it at tax time. :) (sorry, had to say it... :D ) But seriously, I did shop in DE "back in the day" for some woodworking things, but I lived closer to the border at that point. It's easier and faster for me to get to Allentown at this point if I really wanted to visit a woodworking store and fondle the goodies; same for Moorestown once that Rockler is in place. Then again, most of the time, it's easier to just shop online, press a button and have something show up at my doorstep.

Alan Lightstone
03-28-2022, 9:39 AM
How is it these days ordering hardwood online and having it shipped. Like with Bell Forrest, or Woodworkers Source, etc...?

I haven't done this in a few years (before the plague), but used to do it all the time without a hitch.

+/- with stores here. The Woodcraft is relatively close, but inventory is sometimes iffy. A new, large, well-stocked Rocker (first in the area) just opened in Brandon, east of Tampa, but that's an hour drive.

I feel your pain regarding no stores in Jersey. The real estate costs are nuts.

George Yetka
03-28-2022, 11:28 AM
Sorry Im in the same boat. I will go down to deleware for tax free tools.
AW meyer is now Colony hardware you may have some luck with that depending what your looking for

George Yetka
03-28-2022, 11:29 AM
Also I can throw a rock at your town from my house. just come borrow whatever you need

Justin Rapp
03-28-2022, 2:40 PM
Also I can throw a rock at your town from my house. just come borrow whatever you need

George,

Yup, you are in the neighboring town, however I am on the north end of Monroe, so you might need a sling shot to get a little bit more distance. Either way, you are a stones throw away. The only thing I really need to add to my 'large tool' collection would be a drum sander and maybe some festool sanders. Either way, the drive to DE for saving the tax has to be a large tool / purchase. I only drove out to the wood craft stores a few times 'just because'. Usually i'll stop in when I am in the area for another reason.

When it does come to big tools, so far i've just had them all delivered and ironically saved all the sales tax on those bigger tools buy purchasing the from some of the few smaller woodworking stores that don't charge sales tax (yet) for out of state purchases. Those are getting harder and harder to find, and now only know of 1 left. The cost of shipping has usually been about $100 except my sawstop and having it dropped in my garage for me is worth the delivery cost.

George Yetka
03-28-2022, 3:09 PM
George,

Yup, you are in the neighboring town, however I am on the north end of Monroe, so you might need a sling shot to get a little bit more distance. Either way, you are a stones throw away. The only thing I really need to add to my 'large tool' collection would be a drum sander and maybe some festool sanders. Either way, the drive to DE for saving the tax has to be a large tool / purchase. I only drove out to the wood craft stores a few times 'just because'. Usually i'll stop in when I am in the area for another reason.

When it does come to big tools, so far i've just had them all delivered and ironically saved all the sales tax on those bigger tools buy purchasing the from some of the few smaller woodworking stores that don't charge sales tax (yet) for out of state purchases. Those are getting harder and harder to find, and now only know of 1 left. The cost of shipping has usually been about $100 except my sawstop and having it dropped in my garage for me is worth the delivery cost.

I picked up most of my stuff, but Sawstop/bandsaw/cnc were delivered

I have a 19-38 and a few festool/mirka sanders if you wanna get hands on before you buy

Justin Rapp
03-28-2022, 3:14 PM
I picked up most of my stuff, but Sawstop/bandsaw/cnc were delivered

I have a 19-38 and a few festool/mirka sanders if you wanna get hands on before you buy

Hi - that would be great. I am always hearing how great festool is and would be great to try before spending the cash. btw - did you know there is a wood guy in east windsor / hightstown a few minutes from the wawa on Rt 33?

George Yetka
03-28-2022, 3:20 PM
Hi - that would be great. I am always hearing how great festool is and would be great to try before spending the cash. btw - did you know there is a wood guy in east windsor / hightstown a few minutes from the wawa on Rt 33?

I did, I went once when he first moved and had limited stock, I bought 2 slabs. I did not bring a meter with me and found once they sat in my garage they checked quite a bit and a piece of slab I cut off cupped pretty aggressively. He was a good guy and the wood was very inexpensive but I would bring moisture meter. He was just airdrying stock until just before I went. He had built a couple drying cabinets

Justin Rapp
03-28-2022, 3:28 PM
I did, I went once when he first moved and had limited stock, I bought 2 slabs. I did not bring a meter with me and found once they sat in my garage they checked quite a bit and a piece of slab I cut off cupped pretty aggressively. He was a good guy and the wood was very inexpensive but I would bring moisture meter. He was just airdrying stock until just before I went. He had built a couple drying cabinets

I've bought a bunch of lumber from him so far. He does have the drying racks / kiln up and running. I bought a few 4/4 boards that came out of the kiln and they were dry, about 6-7% pending where i tested. The 8/4 slabs i bought where 6% on the ends, but I did cut them in 1/2 and got about 12%, so they weren't dry all the way through, at least for my use, so I am letting them finish off drying for a bit in my basement. I think he should shield the ends of the boards / slabs to help prevent them from checking regardless if he is air or kiln drying.