PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt 9" RAS a good deal??

Jason White
09-06-2007, 7:18 PM
I found a for-sale ad for an old DeWalt 9" MBC radial arm saw.

Is this a good deal? I know DeWalt RAS saws are legendary, but the 9" seems a bit odd to me. Can you still get blades for these? Also, do they run on 110v?

Pics are attached...

Mike Spanbauer
09-06-2007, 7:31 PM
That's one of the gems. they do run on both110 and 220. The hp rating is misleading as they had a different calculation during this era (meaning that this unit probably says .75hp when it's really closer to 2.25 in today's terms).

If all the parts are present and the bearing seem good it's probably a solid investment. Freud makes 9" blades still as well. Negative hook is the important part for these blades.

mike

Larry Conely
09-06-2007, 7:39 PM
I have this saw, or at least one very close to it. I purchased it from a list member. I love it. It is one of two 110v stationary tools I am using to restore a cottage. When this job is done, it will find a permanent place in my shop. It is dead accurate. Every time. It is repeatable. It stays in adjustment. Whatever you may know from a Craftsman radial arm saw...forget it. This is a high quality tool.

I would say go for it.

Larry

John Bailey
09-06-2007, 8:39 PM
I sold the saw to Larry and I can tell you it's the best saw I've ever had. I used a Craftsman for 20 yrs., or so, and it's like night and day. 9" blades aren't too hard to find. I used a Sears blade and it worked well.

Hey Larry, I miss that saw, treat it well.

John

Randal Stevenson
09-06-2007, 8:47 PM
If you google for DeWalt radial arm saw forums you will find a link to them over at Delphi.

This is one of the good ones, grab it at that price.
Get the Mr. Sawdust book (google) and you can get 9" blades, although they recommend 8" for your saw. The two blades of choice over at that forum are
1. A Mr. Sawdust blade available ONLY by contacting Charles over at Forrest. In this case an 8" 60 tooth, TCG with a 5 degree positive hook angle.
2. A Freud (only in 8 or 10") LU83R0(blade size), aka the poor man's Mr. Sawdust blade.

Larry Conely
09-07-2007, 8:10 AM
John,

You cannot have this saw back.

I should point out to Jason that John was gracious enough to deliver this saw. He removed the saw from the enclosed base and loaded it into his pickup. He drove 250 miles. We unloaded it and reassembled it. I have not touched the adjustments since it was taken off John's truck. It is still dead accurate. I think that says a lot about the saw.

John, here's the cottage before and after DeWalt:

Larry Conely
09-07-2007, 8:12 AM
John's DeWalt before it was Larry's Dewalt (it appears to have the original table):

Richard Niemiec
09-07-2007, 8:19 AM
I picked up the same model that sat in someone's back yard under a tarp for 5 years or so, and with a lot of disassembly, unseized it, the motor was still good, and now it sits in the shop. What Larry said about the accuracy, its a great saw. The only thing I had to buy was an arbor nut and a blade.

On the blade, Lowes sells a Hitachi 8 1/2" for one of the Hitachi chop boxes priced around $40 or so, which is a lot cheaper than other 9" blades out there, and it works just fine for me. I find I use it now instead of the chop box 'cause its more accurate. good luck with it if you get it. RN

John Bailey
09-07-2007, 8:58 AM
John,

You cannot have this saw back.

I should point out to Jason that John was gracious enough to deliver this saw. He removed the saw from the enclosed base and loaded it into his pickup. He drove 250 miles. We unloaded it and reassembled it. I have not touched the adjustments since it was taken off John's truck. It is still dead accurate. I think that says a lot about the saw.

John, here's the cottage before and after DeWalt:

Nice job Larry. Although I'm sure the saw was great to work with, it would appear your remodeling talents match the saw. I was impressed with your place before the transformation, now it looks great.

John