PDA

View Full Version : A bookcase to fill the void in my life

Brian Brown
09-06-2007, 6:19 PM
SWMBO banned me from what I really like to do (wood turning) until I finished the basement. With the installation of this bookcase and the chair rail, I can finally get back to turning. I was going through withdrawals. Actually, I’m sure she will come up with many other projects to fill my leisure hours.

This bookcase was needed to fill an odd hole in the wall. There is a bathroom on the other side of the wall, and the shower is not as wide as the room. That left a 15 inch void behind the shower. The hole was not large enough for a desk like I wanted. So on the bathroom side, I built a laundry hamper near the floor. Filling about 1/3 of the gap. I decided on a bookcase for the other side. Never built anything ”built in” before. Here is the finished attempt. It is made from knotty alder, stained with Minwax cherry gel, one coat of tung oil, finished with Minwax polyurethane. Please feel free to critique, and don’t mind the spook hiding behind the shelf.

Brian

Steven Triggs
09-06-2007, 6:28 PM
It looks nice. I really like the "face" in the back panel. I'd find it difficult to cover that up! :D

The one criticism I have to offer is regarding the chair rail. I think the bookcase should have gone just above the chair rail, or perhaps the chair rail should continue over the bookcase's bottom rail.

Anyway, nice job...

Rich Torino
09-06-2007, 6:58 PM
Nice job on the bookcase Brian.... the rest of the room also looks great

glenn bradley
09-06-2007, 7:47 PM
Came out great and a much better use of space than just an odd hole, eh?

Brian Brown
09-06-2007, 7:58 PM
Steven,

I agree about the chair rail position. After it was done, I wished I had extended the bottom of the face frame about 2-3 inches lower than the chair rail. Anything other than flush. Oh well, Live and learn. I have plenty of extra chair rail, so I might try your suggestion of puting it over the face frame.

Brian

Ralph Okonieski
09-06-2007, 8:07 PM
Very nice built-in. The stain color is great! Well done!

Jim Becker
09-06-2007, 8:40 PM
Very nice work!!

Steven Triggs
09-06-2007, 8:49 PM
I have plenty of extra chair rail, so I might try your suggestion of puting it over the face frame.
Brian

If you do, try temporarily holding it up with double sided tape or something. Although I think it might look good, you may also find that it doesn't, and it would be unfortunate to learn that after making it permanent.

Anyway, like I said, the bookcase looks great.

Clint Winterhalter
09-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Great Job Brian!

Good use of wasted space!

I love the eyes in the back of the case! Adds great personality to the piece!

Clint

Jules Dominguez
09-06-2007, 11:18 PM
That looks very nice. good job!