PDA

View Full Version : mini max cu300 smart

Gene Miller
09-06-2007, 6:01 PM
I was wondering if anybody has an idea of how to use the slider to rip instead of switching over to the rip fence. Thanks for the help.

Jim Becker
09-06-2007, 8:36 PM
Welcome to SMC!

There is a learning curve, but that's how I'm doing most of my ripping now with my S315WS.

The best way is to use a combination of your miter fence and a shop-build ripping jig. Sam Blasco has some photos of his on in the pictures area of the Mini Max users group on Yahoo, I believe. I built one recently out of scraps, but am planning to do something similar to Sam's after acquiring an Incra Ultra Lite mechanism from Woodpeckers very shortly. Bill Weber also has pictures of a similar device on his website...look him up in the directory here at SMC.

Here's a picture of the temporary one shown while I was zeroing the scale to the blade:

In a nutshell, you're basically adding another "stop" for width that you set to the same measurement as your stop on the miter fence for ripping width.

Of course, you can also just straight-line one side using the wagon, square the end that will go against the miter fence, measure the cut line for the other end and line it up visually with the blade...I've done this a lot, too, and it's quite fast. Clamp it down and make the cut. Straight as an arrow and cleaner than anything you'll ever get off the jointer.

Gene Miller
09-07-2007, 4:54 PM
Thanks for the help I do appreciate it.

Gene

Joe Mioux
09-07-2007, 7:46 PM
I am curious. I don't really understand what you are doing?

I thought sliders excelled at ripping, especially 8.5 ftrs.

Joe

Jim Becker
09-07-2007, 8:32 PM
Joe they do excel at ripping with the longer sliders, but mostly relative to quality of cut. (a standard rip fence is sometimes faster, but the cut quality isn't "finish" The jig I mentioned just makes it more convenient to measure the width of cut at both ends...use the factory miter bar at one end and the jig near the other. It speeds up the process...