PDA

View Full Version : New DeWalt plunger---618PK or 621? Help me choose

Jameel Abraham
09-06-2007, 1:53 PM
I need a new plunge router.

I'm set on either the 618PK or 621.

I technically don't need another fixed base, since I have a nice Bosch with two bases (one in my router table and one for hand-held use), so that's why I'm leaning towards the 621.

The only issue I can see that separates the two is:

the 621 has plunge and on/off controls on the handles (618 has a lever and a toggle on the motor).

Now, I like the ergonomics of the 621, but I'm not sure that it's worth it over having the extra bases with the 618. Again, I technically don't "need" the extra bases, but who in their right mind wouldn't WANT them.

I've read a couple reviews here about the 618. Sound pretty good, but I'm just kinda on the fence at this moment.

Jim Becker
09-06-2007, 2:17 PM
The DW621 is a darn nice dedicated plunger...you can't go wrong. It's a smooth operator and Pat Warner speaks highly of it. Of course, if you prefer the controls on the DW618...it's also a nice option and you never know when having some additional flexibility on the bases might come in handy!

Scott Brihn
09-06-2007, 2:43 PM
I went with the DW621 when faced with a similar decision. I own a 618 with a D-handle base and decided against the plunge base because I greatly prefer having my finger on the on/off switch. Additionally, the 621 just feels like a more solid unit to me.

I like the 621 so much as a dedicated plunge router that I'm about to order a second for a specific fixture.

Regardless of your ultimate decision I highly recommend Pat Warner's bases.

Allen Bookout
09-06-2007, 3:14 PM
I have a couple of routers with the switch in the handle, the 621 being one of them, and they are always my go to routers. For me it is so much better to be able to grab both handles and turn it on and off with one finger. I agree with Scott, think about a Pat Warner base. I feel that this is especially true for the 621. It makes a very good router a very, very good router.

I do not have the 618 but the owners seem to really love them.

That wasn't much help was it. Oh well, I did my best.

Jameel Abraham
09-06-2007, 3:16 PM
I went with the DW621 when faced with a similar decision. I own a 618 with a D-handle base and decided against the plunge base because I greatly prefer having my finger on the on/off switch. Additionally, the 621 just feels like a more solid unit to me.

I like the 621 so much as a dedicated plunge router that I'm about to order a second for a specific fixture.

Regardless of your ultimate decision I highly recommend Pat Warner's bases.

Thanks Scott (and Jim). I couldn't wait any longer and ordered a 621. I just couldn't justify the extra expense for features I didn't want (and it wasn't worth having the extra fixed base)

Scott, do you happen to know the size of rod that fits the base for the edge guide? I want to make my own, and pick up some materials for it. I couldn't find it online...thanks

One more thing. I do have a few of the Warner subbases. They are very nicely made. The offset one especially is a huge improvement for any router (I've made several jigs and fixtures from Pat's designs, and they are all excellent!)

Allen Bookout
09-06-2007, 3:27 PM
Jameel,

I know that I am not Scott but I use 5/16" rod for the fixtures that I use with my 621. I do not know the official size but it works good for me.

Brad Townsend
09-06-2007, 3:50 PM
I own a 618 two base kit and I think you were right to go with the 621. It's not that I dislike the 618. Quite the contrary, I like it very much. About the only thing I don't like about it is looking for the power switch when it's time to shut it off. If you don't need the fixed base, the 621 is the way to go. It will probably be my next router purchase.

Jameel Abraham
09-06-2007, 4:09 PM
Jameel,

I know that I am not Scott but I use 5/16" rod for the fixtures that I use with my 621. I do not know the official size but it works good for me.

Thanks Allen. Works for me. Although I should probably wait till I have the router in hand. Tomorrow in fact. Gotta love Amazon prime---I paid 1.99 for overnight shipping!

I own a 618 two base kit and I think you were right to go with the 621. It's not that I dislike the 618. Quite the contrary, I like it very much. About the only thing I don't like about it is looking for the power switch when it's time to shut it off. If you don't need the fixed base, the 621 is the way to go. It will probably be my next router purchase.

Yeah, that was basically my main factor. I tried out the 618 at the Depot, and didn't like the ergonomics as much as the 621. Plus the 621 was $20 cheaper.

Brad Naylor
09-06-2007, 4:58 PM
I can recommend the 621 - I've got 4 of them!

The best feature is the dust collection - hook up to your shop vac and enjoy virtually dust-free routing!

Cheers
Brad