PDA

View Full Version : Oliver 21 lathe

Jim King
09-06-2007, 1:01 PM
We finally had time to bring over the lathe and start assembling it. If it would not have got rained on coming off the ship it would be rust free. The beast is like new and even the paint looks new. Would you beleive the original leather belts in new condition ?

Paul Engle
09-06-2007, 1:18 PM
Oh man dats some face plate. Looking fwd to seeing some " mighty" stuff Jim!!!:D

Kim Ford
09-06-2007, 1:21 PM
Jim; Congrats on the Oliver. That is a serious machine. Where did it come from?

Jim King
09-06-2007, 7:31 PM
Kim:

One Sunday I was sitting here on the internet and someone was talking about a lady in Arizona that had this monster lathe and could not get rid of it. I called her up and she said $150 and it is yours.

That was the easy part, if I remember right I think between the moving and packing company, inland and ocean freight the $150 toy cost about $6000 to get here.

But it should be fun.

Brian Weick
09-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Nice lathe Jim- Looks to be in good shape from the pics. look forward to seeing the monster all together. Did the carriage come with it? So what do you plan on turning with that Oliver 21? ceiling pediments?
Congratulations on your acquisition- very hard to find a lathe like that in such good condition.
Happy turnings:)
Brian

Christopher K. Hartley
09-07-2007, 1:00 PM
Jim, that baby is a Hoss!!! Congrats!!:)

Kim Ford
09-07-2007, 1:29 PM
Jim, that is fantastic. There is quite a story behind those big machines and the pattern making shops they were in. Please post pictures when you get it set up and register it at OWWM.. As I'm sure you know there is a lot of information and pictures out there of these bohemoth's on the internet.

Good luck and enjoy.

Kim

Skip Spaulding
09-07-2007, 4:12 PM
Jim, great lathe, so glad you saved it. Can't wait to see it all set up and producing. I had a brother-in-law that passed away a couple of weeks ago, he told some great storries about the things he turned on a giant split bed lathe when he was a pattern maker. He would have loved your new lathe. Thanks for sharing this wonderful old lathe.

Bruce Page
09-07-2007, 5:18 PM
Arizona? :confused:

Or did it from New Mexico as a result of my post?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=47395

Keith Cope
09-07-2007, 6:50 PM
I have an old Oliver (albeit much smaller) and have an eBay alert set up to notify me when anything Oliver goes up--lo and behold, there was one this a.m.: number 280150830087. It's a #22-AC, and not as much a bargain as Jim's, but if anyone wants to join the big boys lathe club it's out there!

Jim King
09-08-2007, 9:44 AM
Bruce:

You are right. you are the responsible one. Thanks, Jim

Bob Hallowell
09-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Jim,
I think you owe Bruce some of the nice blanks you cut down there wink-wink,nudge-nudge:D

Bob

Jim Becker
09-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Wow...what a monster! I'm looking forward to seeing some of the "big things" you and your crew mount and turn on that wonderful machine!

Jim King
09-08-2007, 4:53 PM
Have you ever seen a 5 HP motor like this ?¡

Brian Weick
09-08-2007, 5:00 PM
I would like to use that on my table saw- what do you think-LOL-talk about mass---------------W.O.W ! Hows the assembly going?
Can't wait to see her up and running!
My sincere admiration for your Oliver #21
Happy turning ( and what a turning it will be)you might want to take some Dramamine before you start turning :rolleyes:
Brian

Brian Weick
09-08-2007, 5:22 PM
I have an old Oliver (albeit much smaller) and have an eBay alert set up to notify me when anything Oliver goes up--lo and behold, there was one this a.m.: number 280150830087. It's a #22-AC, and not as much a bargain as Jim's, but if anyone wants to join the big boys lathe club it's out there!

New- if ordered- between 68- $72,000 Oliver #21- rich finkle- Eagle Machinery-owner (Oliver wood working tool manufacturer) a used Oliver 21, but a bargain-absolutely! I'm telling you - these machines are being sought after more and more and they are definitely going to be worth a pretty penny. the amount of Oliver lathe listing's on e-bay , owwm and Machinery exchange and classifieds are down - I check them every day-religiously. This past month however - a twinkle; there was a 20D, B and a C up for sale on OW WM-to the best of my knowledge the 20B -sold ,needed some work but the asking price $4,000 and I do mean it needed work- the 20D $8,500 only a 72" C-C 1940's model with mechanical power carriage- still listed. The 20c $5000.00 and mistreated- Babbitt bearings- monster overhead power driving system. I have seen 2 Oliver lathes ,a 20C and a #26 respectfully in a private auction sell for $18,250 and $21,500 but were fully restored and absolutely perfect- "the Dream Machine" there is a huge sway in pricing- but the wiser owners of these machines have a prized possession as long as they are treated with respect and maintained. this is just my opinion about these machines, but I am not alone. look into it- fallow the market and you will see what I mean. You have a great weekend Keith ! Somthing to think about. :)
Happy turning:)
brian

Jim King
09-15-2007, 10:26 AM
I have decided to try a natural edge bowl out of this old spalted white wood log. Dont hold your breath , this might take a while. I think I will rule out Dramamine and straight to the rum.

Jim Becker
09-15-2007, 10:40 AM
So, Jim...are you going to trim the corners off with a chain saw first or just mount it au natural? :D

Pete Jordan
09-15-2007, 10:41 AM
I didn't know there were trees that big!

Good luck!

Jim King
09-15-2007, 10:47 AM
It will get a very good chainsaw trimming before I start.

Neal Addy
09-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Congrats on getting it there, Jim. I've been looking forward to seeing that monster since you first mentioned it. Can't wait to hear your reports once you get to turning on it.

Bill Wyko
09-15-2007, 3:10 PM
I hope you're going to do some segmented turning on that monster. Ray Allen used a lathe something like that. He turned a piece big enough to climb inside and it had over 7000 pieces. Dang it! I got drool on my desk.:D

Glenn Hodges
09-15-2007, 6:18 PM
Congratulations Jim, I am glad it found you for a home. That is some kind of mosheene.

Jim King
09-15-2007, 8:02 PM
Bill: I am gluing up a 4 foot dia by 5 inch thick semi segmented cutting board the same style as in the attached photo . I call it a glue up. It will have the juice rail , three massive legs and I am hoping to sell them to those expensive restaurants that give you a little bit of very expensive slippery food in the middle of a big plate.

Paul Engle
09-16-2007, 11:03 AM
From the ship building days when ships were wood and men were iron , nice lathe (???) huh. If you like to drool , Phillidelphia Navy ship yard had sommmme collection of pattern lathes , I watched the carpenter shop in Long Beach Navy Yard make wooden anchor chain links, ( 3 linked together) for mold makers to fashion chain bulsters ( chain guides on the prow ) for BB-62 USS New Jersey when I worked there during my apprenticeship ( outside machinist ) for her refit and recommisisoning by Ronald Regan.Our steam gang did the install and final fit , boy that was some piece of work, the Ships superintendent insisted the links be signed for each day as he wanted them back when we were done. I think they were given to the ships Captain. Any body owning an Oliver has a piece of history never to be repeated and i am eaten up with envy :D .