PDA

View Full Version : Pin oak?

Keith Cope
09-06-2007, 1:01 PM
There is a pin oak being removed down the street from me--is it a decent wood to turn? Should I go hit the tree service up for some chunks?

Thanks,
Keith

Tony De Masi
09-06-2007, 1:59 PM
Keith, I have no idea if pin oak is one that would be labelled a good wood to turn, others with more experience will certainly chime in there. But what I do know is that it is FREE wood which is the best there is. If for nothing else than practice. Let us know how it turns out. (pun included purposely)

Tony

Ron Ainge
09-06-2007, 2:34 PM
I have turned some Pin Oak and I find it to be similar to other Oaks that we will turn. the major difference is it smell like a horse just had a draiinage problem in your shop.:eek: othere than that it makes nice projects.

Steven Triggs
09-06-2007, 2:36 PM
the major difference is it smell like a horse just had a draiinage problem in your shop.:eek:

Well that sounds wholly unpleasant!:D

Keith Cope
09-06-2007, 3:28 PM
hmm...how strong is the horse drainage aroma? I've got a basement shop, am I going to have horse scented house??

Aaron Kline
09-06-2007, 7:06 PM
I dont particularly like the smell of pin oak. Smells like baby puke to me, especially when wet and very badly if rotten somewhat. Its very coarse grained too, but if its free, try turning it. Just spray some room freshener if the smell is overwhelming.;)

Christopher K. Hartley
09-07-2007, 1:09 PM
Keith, It's Oak!! What more do you need to know? Turn that dude!!!:)

Jim Becker
09-07-2007, 8:20 PM
Any wood is good to turn when the "price is right". Pin oak will have the same "features" as other varieties of oak...best to turn green is one of them! (IMHO, of course...)

Gordon Seto
09-07-2007, 8:58 PM
"Pee Oak" misspelled as pin oak? It smells exactly like that. The smell will eventually go away.

Coarse grain but beautiful.

Gordon

Aaron Kline
09-08-2007, 6:01 PM
Keith,
Did you get any of the oak? Let us know how everything comes out.