PDA

View Full Version : Humble Show "Gloat"

George Guadiane
09-06-2007, 11:31 AM
"Oh Lord it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way," goes the song, that AIN'T me, BUT...
I did get lucky with this piece. Won a first place ribbon, makes my wife giggle (she likes it that much) and it was selected by this promoter to use for their advertising (which got me a free booth to boot... and it's not quite 6 inches tall).
A friend of mine sent me this full page ad, I had no idea the piece would get this much play, I am ecstatic! It really seems that things can change in a hurry, and around just one event::)

Harvey M. Taylor
09-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Well, WHOOPTEDOO George. Kudos, and a slap on the helmet. Proud for you, Max

Nancy Laird
09-06-2007, 11:36 AM
That's great, George. Congratulations on the publicity, the blue ribbon, your wife's giggles, and a gorgeous piece.

Nancy (106 days)

Frank Kobilsek
09-06-2007, 11:37 AM
George

Congrats! My advice, start a scrapbook, oh sorry, in the art world we call them a 'portfollio'.

Now good luck at the show!

Frank

Ken Fitzgerald
09-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Congrats on all accounts George!

Tony De Masi
09-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Outstanding George. Congratulations to you.

Tony

George Guadiane
09-06-2007, 11:47 AM
George

Congrats! My advice, start a scrapbook, oh sorry, in the art world we call them a 'portfollio'.

Now good luck at the show!

Frank
Thanks to everyone!
Frank, I take pictures of EVERYTHING, for the record. I like to see what I've done and how my style and skill are changing.
:p We need a "snobby" stuck up nose in the air smiley for words like "portfolio..." But I do have "ART.":eek::D

Jim Becker
09-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Wow...excellent gloat!

Jason Slutsky
09-06-2007, 1:52 PM
Outstanding George!!!

I see they used the picture on the front page of the dutchessfair.com website!

Steve Schlumpf
09-06-2007, 3:24 PM
Congrats George!!! Best of luck with the show!

Jeff Cremers
09-06-2007, 3:39 PM
Thats a beautiful piece of portfollio filling art right there. Way to go, congrats.
How about telling us a little about it.
Jeff

George Guadiane
09-06-2007, 6:33 PM
Thats a beautiful piece of portfollio filling art right there. Way to go, congrats.
How about telling us a little about it.
Jeff
The vase is stave segmentation, BUT...
I call it "OATS" (Off Axis Triangle Stave) segmenting. The blanks are formed all at once, using 45/45/90 triangles oriented as shown below.
Because none of the segment seams orient through the center axis, any curve in the outline gives the impression of a curve in the segment. I use veneer to highlight that fact. I clamp from the top first, true and turn the outside of the form with the top in the chuck. I then hollow out the bottom, as far up as I can, then the foot goes on, complete with tenon.
I rotate to have the bottom in the chuck and turn to finish. Jamb chuck the piece then turn off the tenon.
Thee are a lot more steps, I am doing a demo next month in Albany for the Totally Turning Symposium and in November for a club in MA.
IF everything goes my way, I may get to do it in Richmond too.

Jon Lanier
09-06-2007, 7:14 PM
Dude, that is absolutely gorgeous, I'd be proud of a piece like that and you deservedly should get kudo's for a piece like that!!!

:)

George Guadiane
09-06-2007, 7:22 PM
Outstanding George!!!

I see they used the picture on the front page of the dutchessfair.com website!
A Friend in Poughkeepsie just emailed me. They are using the same art on the BILLBOARDS. I am the luckiest guy on the planet! (it IS pretty nice though:D)

Bernie Weishapl
09-06-2007, 7:45 PM
Congrats George all the way around.

John Shuk
09-06-2007, 10:08 PM
George I saw the advertisement for the show in the Hudson Valley Home magazine that floats around.
I wondered whose work that piece was. It is nice to see turnings crop up. Congrats.

Ernie Nyvall
09-08-2007, 7:59 PM
Congratulations George! What a great gloat and the vase is a very nice piece.

Philip Duffy
09-09-2007, 8:06 AM
George, I think you made your own luck with that great design and execution! Wonderful achievment and I am looking forward to seeing your work at Richomond. It appears that the piece is one piece, or is the top separate? Congratulations for all the great publicity, and the boost to your prices! Phil

Christopher K. Hartley
09-09-2007, 8:21 AM
Wat to go George! Beautiful Vase and nice presentation in that Flyer.:)

George Guadiane
09-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Wat to go George! Beautiful Vase and nice presentation in that Flyer.:)
I have to give credit where it is due, someone working for the the fairgrounds people took my stock photo and dressed it up like that. If I were going to be HYPER critical, I could point out a couple of MINOR issues, that sho it to be "PhotoShopped," but I give their work a 9.87 out of 10.

George Guadiane
09-09-2007, 10:28 AM
George, I think you made your own luck with that great design and execution! Wonderful achievment and I am looking forward to seeing your work at Richomond. It appears that the piece is one piece, or is the top separate? Congratulations for all the great publicity, and the boost to your prices! Phil
If I understand your question, it is one piece. The detail at the neck is a double bead or bead on bead thing I tried - it worked.:eek:

Keith Christopher
09-09-2007, 7:17 PM
Wonderful piece and congrats !

Dick Strauss
09-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Hey George,
That's a beautiful piece!

What types of wood were used?

George Guadiane
09-10-2007, 1:00 AM
Hey George,
That's a beautiful piece!

What types of wood were used?
Thanks Dick,
Black Walnut, Cherry Burl with maple veneer.

Keith Christopher
09-10-2007, 7:21 AM
Was looking at your drawing and was thinking, once glued up , slice it and rotate each piece 90deg and then glue it up again, might end up with a wicked looking kinda segmented piece.

Bob Hallowell
09-10-2007, 7:52 AM
Wow!
what a gloat! thanks for sharying your technique.

Bob

jeremy levine
09-10-2007, 8:32 AM
That 's a monster of a gloat, its a big show, very cool

George Guadiane
09-10-2007, 9:35 AM
Was looking at your drawing and was thinking, once glued up , slice it and rotate each piece 90deg and then glue it up again, might end up with a wicked looking kinda segmented piece.
That IS an idea that I have played with, also using laminated vertical layers on either orientation (just take the basic triangle and make layers in any orientation, you get cool stuff - I have DOZENS of variations drawn up already)... BUT:
So far, the only element that seems to be precise is the joint. How the triangles line up with each other varies with the clamping method I am using, so the segments are not the same... If you cut them into rings and rotated them, they would almost certainly not line up, HOWEVER, if they were cut into rings and rotated 1/4 or 1/2 way between rings, they WOULD form a uniform stair step curve.
I came up with this idea just over a year ago. I have done several demonstrations and am scheduled to do several more, but this really is still evolving, so some stuff gets looked at and then set aside because it's "too hard" or just doesn't work the first time.
Once you have the stave cutting sled I made, you can orient the wood in about any way you like. I have even done one with the end grain out, really cool look, REALLY difficult turn.

George Guadiane
09-10-2007, 9:40 AM
Wow!
what a gloat! thanks for sharying your technique.

Bob
Bob,
Thanks!
I do 90 minute demonstrations that give a good overview, the tools and techniques, these posts only begin to show how this can be done... THe variations are about endless.

George Guadiane
09-10-2007, 9:48 AM
That 's a monster of a gloat, its a big show, very cool
Thank you, I was really stunned, this is my first year of doing "Art" shows, I used to do antique shows, so I know a little about the concept, this is much more personal, I like it! And the attention that this piece has been given is really an honor.
If you are thinking about visiting the show, be sure to identify yourself, like most turners, I really like to talk shop.

Don Orr
09-11-2007, 12:25 PM
I thought the post card was impressive but this is way outstanding George!! My wife and I are planning on coming down to see the show.

See, hard work and good ideas do pay off!

George Guadiane
09-11-2007, 1:35 PM
I thought the post card was impressive but this is way outstanding George!! My wife and I are planning on coming down to see the show.

See, hard work and good ideas do pay off!
You know Don, it MIGHT seem like it would end some time, like I might wake up from the dream, BUT...
A friend from Dutchess County says that the same piece is ON A BILLBOARD!!!!!! on rt 9W :eek::eek::eek:. I am assuming that to mean that they are using the image on ALL billboards that advertise the show. I think I'll sleep a while longer, maybe they'll buy me out at the show.
OH, I look forward to seeing you and Barbara (I think :confused: ) at the show.