PDA

View Full Version : Outfeed Table Construction

Sean Troy
09-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Hey all, I would like to build an outfeed table for my table saw. I have several questions about the top. Is it best to use a ridgid type laminate for the top? Where might I find mitre track to use for the table? Best type of router bit for trimming the edge of the table and for cutting the dado for the track? How about glue for adhearing the laminate top? Please bare with me on all the questions, I'm trying to learn flatwork after all these years of mostly turning. Thanks for any help. Sean

John Thompson
09-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Hey all, I would like to build an outfeed table for my table saw. I have several questions about the top. Is it best to use a ridgid type laminate for the top? Where might I find mitre track to use for the table? Best type of router bit for trimming the edge of the table and for cutting the dado for the track? How about glue for adhearing the laminate top? Please bare with me on all the questions, I'm trying to learn flatwork after all these years of mostly turning. Thanks for any help. Sean

I use 3/4" MDF and 3 coat with poly.. Tracks can be had from Rocler.. Eagle America.. etc. etc... Round-over bit (use an older one if you have it as MDF is tough on edges) for edges.. Straight bit for grove or dado head on TS.

With 3/4" MDF.. I don't laminate or glue the top. On a router table where I would, I use standard Titebond as it holds fine.. if you coat it with poly or finish on all sides.

Sarge..

Jim Becker
09-06-2007, 12:16 PM
The one I had on my cabinet saw was just regular laminate over plywood...worked great. For the miter slots, just route them in oversize...their purpose is to provide clearance for the end of the miter bar, not to guide it. I painted those channels flat black to "finish" them off...

Lee Schierer
09-06-2007, 12:26 PM
I used a piece of 3/4" plywood with a supporting frame made of 2 X 2's. I cut the miter slots with a dado blade on the TS and aligned them with teh two slots on the saw. I came close enough on one side that I can actually use the miter gage in reverse for trimming really wide pieces with the miter gage infront of the piece being cut.

Bill Arnold
09-06-2007, 12:32 PM
For my outfeed and router tables, I used one layer of 3/4" MDF over a supporting structure of 3" wide MDF -- not really a torsion box, but enough support to keep the top flat. I finished the MDF with two coats of Sealcoat followed by two coats of past wax a few days later.

I thought about routing the miter slots in the tablesaw outfeed table (like Jim suggested), but opted to add miter t-track for durability. Using the t-track also allows the use of hold-down clamps for other operations without tearing out the MDF or plywood.

Here's a photo of my setup:
http://bbarnold.com/images/shop-ga/10TS_OA2.jpg

Seumas McCombie
09-06-2007, 1:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/macduff2/DSC_0001-5.jpg
adjustable to out-feed length from the apertured holding block on the fence end, held in place by the way of a clamp to the holding block, supported by a clip-up leg using very little space when it is at a premium, as is the OJJ technology when handling large sheet material

Greg Crawford
09-06-2007, 6:41 PM
I just used what I had on hand when I needed it, 1/2 MDF and maple frame, about 3/4 x 3. Finished with shellac and wax. If it gets nasty, I sand it a little, shellac and wax it, and it's going again. Been that way for about 7 years.

Bob Feeser
09-08-2007, 11:25 AM
Like Jim said. Another alternative for the top is a sheet of 3/4" melamine from Home Depot, costs about 20 bucks, and comes with the easy slip white coating. Needs a box frame below to support it of course.

Kevin McPeek
09-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Like Jim said. Another alternative for the top is a sheet of 3/4" melamine from Home Depot, costs about 20 bucks, and comes with the easy slip white coating. Needs a box frame below to support it of course.
Theres my vote also Sean. I wouldn't spend the money to put miter tracks on it, but I'm pretty cheap. Figure you're done cutting by the time half of the miter gauge is into them anyway.
No need to get too crazy with it, you're a turner, it's just going to end up with blanks stored on it anyway.
My advice would be to make something that can fold away when/if you need the space.