PDA

View Full Version : RIDGID Oscillating Edge/belt Spindle Sander

Bob Moyer
09-06-2007, 8:06 AM
I am considering adding this to my small workshop, since I am still a newbie to this hobby, is this a wise purchase. I am considering building a few adironack chairs, picture frames etc. over the winter. In addition, I will be installing a hardwood floor in my living room.

Don Bullock
09-06-2007, 8:12 AM
Bob, as someone rather new too, I can say that this is on my "short list" for tools. That said, I'm not sure it will help much with your pending projects list. Their may be some other tools that you'll need more for them.

Tony De Masi
09-06-2007, 8:12 AM
Bob, I've had one for a few years and love it. Never had a problem with the machine nor finding the replacement spindles. You will love it.

Tony

Scott Kuykendall
09-06-2007, 8:16 AM
I have had mine for over 5 years and love it. One of the most use tools in the shop for sanding.
Scott

Bob Moyer
09-06-2007, 8:24 AM
Bob, as someone rather new too, I can say that this is on my "short list" for tools. That said, I'm not sure it will help much with your pending projects list. Their may be some other tools that you'll need more for them.

Don,

My toolshop currently consists of
Dewalt 12" Miter Saw
Makita Cordless Drill
Bosch 4000-09 Portable Table Saw
Bosch 1587AVS (thank to all those on this forum for the suggestion)
Ridgid Palm Sander
Makita Circular Saw

What else would you recommend or is on your wish list? My space is limited since I have a two car garage which is used for two cars.

Thanks

Al Willits
09-06-2007, 8:37 AM
Had one for a few months now and use it a lot, decent buy for the price.

If you get one there's a spindle or something that others have mentioned that can use a bit of grease, I keep forgetting what it is, but someone prob does.

Al

Mike Jones NM
09-06-2007, 8:56 AM
Yup, love mine, have had no problems with it at all.

Bill Huber
09-06-2007, 9:29 AM
I really like mine, it gets used all the time.

The problem that has been reported on the past was the idler bushing on the belt (the one on the right) would ware out really fast. When I checked mine it had ball bearings so they must have fixed the problem.

The only negative thing I could say at all about it is the dust collection could be a little better.

Richard Link
09-06-2007, 9:45 AM
I would echo the other posters and say that I've found my sander to be an excellent tool for the price. Only downsides that I've found are that the dust collection is not ideal and it doesn't have a very large spindle capacity (i.e. 4 inch). Otherwise, its a great tool. Nice to have the oscillating edge sander capability in a small shop even if the belt is rather short.

Rick

Danny Thompson
09-06-2007, 9:53 AM
Love it. Very good for sanding curves. Even with straight edges, the best part is you can watch your work as you sneak up on the line, adjusting pressure as you go. Second best is that you have a table to keep your work square. With a handheld belt or random oscillating sander you have check, sand, check, sand, hope, pray, sand.

Don Bullock
09-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Bob, I fully understand your situation. Until last week, before my wife suggested that her car can be parked on the driveway, I faced the same situation.

The reason that I made that comment about the tools is that other than the chair and possibly the frames, that sander isn't necessary unless you have everything else that you need. While I'd love to have one, it's not yet on my "must have" list for any of my projects. I can do all my sanding without one right now. By listing your current tools I can see that you have a great start on the tools that you need and that will fit into your "shop."

First off on my list if I were in your situation would be a router and a router table. With a router in a table you could make some of your own frames rather than buying moulding. One could also be used with some patterns for making the parts for the chair. There have be several articles lately on Adironack chairs. You might want to look at those to see what tools were used that made the job easier. A project like that will also depend on what lumber you'll be using. Obviously if you're buying S4S lumber you don't need a jointer or planer. As for the floor, your miter saw will be more than what you need.

Steven Wilson
09-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Bob, this tool has been talked about in numerous threads over the last few years, WHY DON'T YOU USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION. I had one and was glad when I got rid of it; a good design idea that is poorly executed.

Allen Bookout
09-06-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm pretty much with Don on this one. I have the Ridgid sander but do not use it nearly as much as I though that I would. I think a router and router table would be a better choice for the next tool. That is one tool that I use all of the time.

Bob Moyer
09-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Bob, I fully understand your situation. Until last week, before my wife suggested that her car can be parked on the driveway, I faced the same situation.

The reason that I made that comment about the tools is that other than the chair and possibly the frames, that sander isn't necessary unless you have everything else that you need. While I'd love to have one, it's not yet on my "must have" list for any of my projects. I can do all my sanding without one right now. By listing your current tools I can see that you have a great start on the tools that you need and that will fit into your "shop."

First off on my list if I were in your situation would be a router and a router table. With a router in a table you could make some of your own frames rather than buying moulding. One could also be used with some patterns for making the parts for the chair. There have be several articles lately on Adironack chairs. You might want to look at those to see what tools were used that made the job easier. A project like that will also depend on what lumber you'll be using. Obviously if you're buying S4S lumber you don't need a jointer or planer. As for the floor, your miter saw will be more than what you need.

Don,

Thanks for comments and suggestions, my concerns with a router is that I have never used one. I also considered a planner, however, again I never used one. Personally, one of my biggest regrets was not taking a summer job with my grandfather at a local butcher block company when I was a teen which was a few decades ago.

Allen Bookout
09-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Don,

my concerns with a router is that I have never used one.

Don't worry about that. It will be a very short time before you say "How did I ever get along without this".

Gary Muto
09-06-2007, 10:34 AM
I have the sander and like it. I haven't used it as much as I thougth since I also have a belt/disc sander that is on a stand, and as such, is more convenient.
I was surprised thas a jointer and drill press weren't suggested to Bob as additions to his shop. The router (and table) would make those those the top 4 machines used in my shop. Table Saw being #1.
I have a small cheap router table and use that way more than I thought I ever would. Ironically, I'm more cautious using the table than a router alone..

Greg Funk
09-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Bob,

I have one and it works very well when I need it which isn't very often. I don't think it will be useful for laying hardwood floors or picture framing, not sure about the chairs. I think if you are starting out there are probably a few other tools that would be of more value.

Greg

glenn bradley
09-06-2007, 12:53 PM
I was leaning toward the OS and did the customary, excessive, research. I put my money into a different type of tool but had I not been distracted I would have the sander as we speak. It has strengths and weaknesses. If you decide on an OS, the blend of things the Ridgid does can't be beat for the price.

Terre Hooks
09-06-2007, 1:12 PM
Bob,

I have one and it is the best value for what it is.

It will be perfect for your chairs.

Brian Penning
09-06-2007, 2:10 PM
I have one also and it's surprised me how often I use it. If it broke I'd buy another without hesitation.
I keep it in belt sander mode 99% of the time.

Noah Katz
09-06-2007, 6:00 PM
Steven,

"I had one and was glad when I got rid of it; a good design idea that is poorly executed."

Could you elaborate on what you didn't like about it?

Don Bullock
09-06-2007, 8:05 PM
Don,

Thanks for comments and suggestions, my concerns with a router is that I have never used one. I also considered a planner, however, again I never used one. Personally, one of my biggest regrets was not taking a summer job with my grandfather at a local butcher block company when I was a teen which was a few decades ago.

Bob, a router table is actually very easy to use. If you're not sure how to use one there good articles, videos and books on the subject that can help. Our local WoodCraft has some excellent classes on routers. There may be some at your local woodworking store and/or adult education facility including community colleges. Many people here can give you help as well.

..I was surprised thas a jointer and drill press weren't suggested to Bob as additions to his shop. The router (and table) would make those those the top 4 machines used in my shop. Table Saw being #1.
I have a small cheap router table and use that way more than I thought I ever would. Ironically, I'm more cautious using the table than a router alone..

Gary, I suggested the router/router table idea for Bob due to his pending projects and limited space. A drill press would be handy as would a jointer, but Bob doesn't seem to be fully into making furniture where they would be needed at this time. A jointer can also take up quite a bit of space. Two regular size cars in a two car garage doesn't leave much room for this type of tool even if it's on a mobile base. I know from personal experience. Putting two full sized cars in the garage is one of the main reasons I had to stop doing much woodworking when we moved into this house over twenty years ago. Now, as I face retirement I realize what I've been missing and the LOML has given me as much support as she can, including leaving her car outside the garage. That happened right after I bought a jointer followed by a planer.

frank shic
09-06-2007, 9:11 PM
bob, bag the oscillating/spindle sander and get a pocket hole jig to do the occasional cabinet/furniture project, a bosch jigsaw to do your hardwood flooring installation and an air compressor/nail gun to temporarily tack parts together and fasten molding. in your situation, a router table/planer/jointer/dust collector would probably take up too much space - buy the doors if you need them in the future. watch those fingers! how do you like your bosch 4000 BTW? i just picked one up the other day so that i could start cutting solid wood again since my powermatic 64 is currently rigged up to cut melamine and plywood panels.

Allen Bookout
09-06-2007, 9:36 PM
Frank Shic,

I think that your list is excellent. Very well done!

I will make one point however. A router table does not have to be a large thing of art that a lot of them are. As long as you have a very flat, stable top, probably with some type of frame to keep it that way, you can just attach a set of banquet legs and have a fold up router table to store along the wall or somewhere. You can use a 2x4 for a fence and cut out a place for the bits with your new Bosch jig saw untill you get going. At least consider a hand held router to go along with the things that Frank suggested.

Jeff Miller
09-06-2007, 9:44 PM
Read this;)

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rgideb4424rvu.html

JEFF:)

Vernon Taylor
09-06-2007, 10:19 PM
I have the older model Ridged OSS and have found it to be a capable machine for cleaning up curved cuts. I have not used the belt option as I have other alternatives. In your situation and your proposed projects I would think as others have intimated that other tools would be more useful at this point primarily a router. I would suggest a laminate/trim router as your first router this would give you a feel for the capabilities of a router and allow you to easily relieve the edges on the boards for your Adirondak chairs. I don't think any other tool offers the instant gratification a router does in making a piece of wood look finished. I suggest the trim router as it is easy to handle and capable of doing a lot of trim cuts. After using one I would bet that you will buyanother
router in a larger size but will find the trim router to be a keeper in your arsenal. Most of us probaly have at least three or more routers for different purposes, they are that addictive.I have a Bosch Colt which I like real well, I think it was about $119. HF has one for about $20.00 gets mixed reviews on the forums but you may want to consider it.

I notice you do not list a drill press, I have one that converts to an oss, is a benchtop by now defunct AMT, I don't know who makes or sells a similar machine but the one I have works well,and takes up less space than the Ridgid.

Bob Potter
09-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Bob
I just bought the Ridgid spindle sander and love it. I checked all the reviews on line and all were positive. For the money you can't go wrong with this sander.
Bob

Steven Wilson
09-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Steven,

"I had one and was glad when I got rid of it; a good design idea that is poorly executed."

Could you elaborate on what you didn't like about it?

Use the search function and go back a couple of years, you'll find out information. Short version: not square, belt assembly is twisted. Half dozen other units at HD had the same problem.

frank shic
09-07-2007, 12:46 AM
allen's right about those routers being addictive! i started off with just a bosch 1617, then moved on to the bosch 1619, snagged a ridgid router when i realized that having JUST TWO was not going to cut it, and recently bought two porter cable 690's to devote to dadoing and upper cabinet back/end panel notching. then there were the laminate trimmers...:eek:

steven, you left out one more thing: too SHORT on length. since i don't do much in the way of curved parts, the only useful function for me might be the belt sander... if it were TWICE as long to enable me to sand face frame and door parts!