PDA

View Full Version : Another Gast wiring question

Mike Vickery
09-06-2007, 3:37 AM
Okay my 220 Gast pump arrived the other day and has of course sparked a new question. I expected a normal cord or something on it instead it just has the 3 short stranded wires coming out of it.

Are you guys using screw on connector to splice this together to longer wires to your outlet or switch?

Or are you putting spade connectore on these wires and going right into a switch?

Or something else? Extra credit for pictures of your wiring.

Jim Becker
09-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Given you have pigtails, you must terminate those wires "into" something...either a switch, a plug or a j-box. Do what works best for where the pump will be located. These things make noise when running, so you'll likely not want it "in your face". Mine is under the lath in an enclosed...but vented...space for noise and dust control. It's wired via a cord directly to a switch box that I can move around the lathe. The switch box then has a cord terminated in a plug.

Mike Vickery
09-06-2007, 5:03 PM
Thanks Jim. I was making it harder then it should have been. I has trying to mount the switch into a handy box and the 2 pole switch was just to big ( hit the knock out inserts and the spade connectors we hitting the bottom). I put into a 4 inch box and used one of the centering plates to give it enough room crimped spade connectors to the motor wires and onto a cord wire so mine I think looks like yours. Motor wired into a switch box with a cord coming out of it that plugs into the wall outlet.

I just need to get a couple hose clamps and it will be ready to roll.

Thanks for all of the help.

Hilel Salomon
09-10-2007, 8:31 AM
I'm glad you asked those questions because I have some add-on ones. Several of you have- especially Chris-have sent answers to my early questions, but I still have wiring ones. I bought two of the 220 v pumps (one in sc and one in VA) In SC I spliced the wires and ran them into a plug , but when I plugged the pump into an outlet, I only got a funny noise. When I changed plugs I did get the pump to start but almost immediately kick out as if overheating. Haven't done anything further there, but here in VA, I'm thinking that instead of splicing wires, I could go into the pump directly and from there go onto a switch and then an outlet. Is this what you folks have been doing? I Knew my mechanically impaired mind would have problems, but thought that the wiring would be the easy part. Go figure.
Thanks, Hilel.

Tom Klass
09-10-2007, 8:29 PM
when you wired it, you may have it running in the wrong direction which could have broken one of the vanes and now is jammed from the broken pc of vane. pull the front cover off the pump check for broken vanes and replace if broken. before you install the new vanes run the pump for a few seconds to check rotation, change if needed and then reinstall new vanes and put cover plate back on.
tom

Hilel Salomon
09-12-2007, 8:12 AM
Thanks Tom. When I get back I'll look at the pump again. I assumed that using 220 both wires were hot but the truth is that I'm obviously electricity impaired as well. How do I make sure that I'm wiring the pump in the right direction? The wires coming out of the pump are both black. In Virginia, I'm tempted to remove these and wire directly into the pump itself but don't want to make the same mistake.
Regards, Hilel.

Mike Vickery
09-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Hilel,
Yes for the 220 both the blacks are hot. If it is like mine it has three wires coming out 2 blacks and a green. The blacks are both hot and the green is your ground.

Not sure what to tell you about your problems though. The obvious question was are you sure you got a good splice. Personally as stated I crimped on spade connectors on the hot wires coming out of the gast and attached them directly to a double pole switch(to the load terminals). Then crimped spade connectors on to a cord that has a plug on the end and connected those to the line terminals. The grounds got crimped together with a pigtail coming out to the switch.

Hilel Salomon
09-15-2007, 8:21 AM
Thanks Mike,

I think that's what I'll do here and when I get back to Columbia, I'll look again at the splice.
Regards, Hilel.