PDA

View Full Version : An alternative to crepe for cleaning sanding belts

Bob Fraser
09-06-2007, 1:31 AM
I did not find that there is a seperate section for tips,
so I hope it is okay to post here, even if it is a minor tip such as mine.

I'm sure all of us have had a 3/4 tube of silicone sealant harden up on us at one time or the other.

Slice that plastic tube open to retrieve the now congealed silicone cylinder.

It will serve the same for you in cleaning a sander belt, as the more expensive crepe blocks will.

Bob

John Schreiber
09-06-2007, 8:45 AM
I'll try that. Especially because I haven't been able to find my crepe stick for a couple of days.

Brad Townsend
09-06-2007, 8:50 AM
Hey...I bet I have a couple of those laying around! It's maddening to cut open one of those for a small job knowing full well that no matter how well you try and seal it back up, 90% of the product you paid good money for will harden and go to waste. Thanks for the tip!

John M. Smith
09-06-2007, 9:37 AM
The only problem with silicone is, alot of finishes will react with fisheyes when wood is exposed to it.

Bob Fraser
09-06-2007, 10:06 AM
I think you would find that finsih issue with silicone sprays, but not with the cured sealant compound. I never have had an issue on a sanding belt having comtaminated a piece of wood. Maybe just lucky...

Lee Schierer
09-06-2007, 12:07 PM
You can also use a stiff wire brush to clean accumulated finish and pitch from sanding belts.

glenn bradley
09-06-2007, 1:02 PM
HF crepe sticks go on sale for a couple bucks frequently. Mine works just like the expensive ones.

Bruce Benjamin
09-06-2007, 1:10 PM
HF crepe sticks go on sale for a couple bucks frequently. Mine works just like the expensive ones.

Yeah, maybe so but the HF version is a cheap Chinese made version and they no doubt stole and reverse engineered the design from some hard working American company just trying to earn an honest buck! :rolleyes: ;) :D

I've got a couple of those too and they do work just fine.

Bruce

Alfred Clem
09-06-2007, 2:35 PM
If you will look at a hook by my belt sander, you will see a pair of old Clark's desert boots hanging there. I've cleaned the belts for years using the crepe rubber soles. They work like a charm.

Bruce Benjamin
09-06-2007, 3:04 PM
If you will look at a hook by my belt sander, you will see a pair of old Clark's desert boots hanging there. I've cleaned the belts for years using the crepe rubber soles. They work like a charm.

Do you put them on first? I don't think I could hold my leg up that high that long. ;) :rolleyes: :D

Bruce

Ray Knight
09-06-2007, 4:41 PM
now I know what to do with my old Clark's wallabees. Now I just need a source of 1/2 -3/4 in thick crepe to resole the old things myself. Tired of paying Resole to do it for $65. Ain't nature cool, everything has a use to somebody or something. Ray Knight

Bill Wyko
09-06-2007, 5:10 PM
Great tip. Thanks.:D