PDA

View Full Version : Twisted bandsaw blade -- repairable?

Cary Swoveland
09-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Today, when cutting a small piece of phenolic on my band saw, the unexpected happened and I was left with the blade being slightly twisted. It's a rather pricey 1/2" Lenox carbide blade, so I'm hoping there's a way I can straighten it myself or send it out for repair.

I have a Minimax MM16 band saw. There is cavity in the table around the blade that is about 80mm x 90mm. Mimimax supplies a plastic part to fill this cavity. Its feet are adjustable, to allow one to keep the top flush with the table. Holes have been drilled in the part to facilitate dust collection, but they also compromise its strength. As I was moving the piece of phenolic (about 4" long) through the blade, the plastic part gave way, the blade jammed into the phenolic, sparks flew, and the blade jumped off the wheels. (I was amazed the blade didn't snap.)

I put the blade back on and ran it by hand. There is a short section where it is visibly twisted.

Suggestions?

Cary

Guy Germaine
09-06-2007, 6:38 AM
Something similar happened to me last week. I was resawing a piece of walnut about 5" wide, and like a dumb-arse, I pulled the piece back, and it pulled the blade off the wheels. when I looked at the blade, it had 2 real nice bends in it. I took it off and laid it on my flat work table and just kept bending it back into shape. It seems to be ok. I ran a piece through it about 10" wide, and it cut just fine.