PDA

View Full Version : Project Post, Helping the neighbor

Craig Thompson
09-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Well its bound to happen, bother someone enough with your planer at 10 at night.... and they ask you to "help them with a project"

Neighbor needed his basement bar / mini kitchen finished and I abliged, not fine furniture but... here it is. Thanks for looking and commenting. As standard, give the good, bad, and ugly.

Bill Huber
09-06-2007, 12:04 AM
I would say you should put up with a lot of planning at 10:00 for that....

Very nice looking setup and I am sure it adds a lot to the basement overall look.

Don Bullock
09-06-2007, 8:08 AM
..not fine furniture but... ...

That's certainly finer than some of the furniture I've made. That's a very nice looking job. I agree, that your neighbor should have no complaints about your late night work. Hopefully all your other neighbors don't have similar projects for your to "help" with.;) :D

Pat Zabrocki
09-06-2007, 9:54 AM
You asked for the good, the bad and the ugly so here ya go:

good: a whole bunch!!
bad and ugly: zero!!

Great looking project!!! and as someone said earlier, you just earned a whole lot of "late night planing"

Well done!
cheers
Pat

Larry Fox
09-06-2007, 10:48 AM
WOW - I am not going to let my neighbor see this. He gets compensated for putting up with the late night planing sessions by the ocassional table-saw or bandsaw cut and MAYBE, just MAYBE I might spray something for him if I made a lot of racket!!!

VERY nice

Jamie Smith
09-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Very nice. What kind of material did you use? What finish?

thanks.

Ralph Okonieski
09-06-2007, 12:31 PM
It looks pretty "fine" to me ! Very nice.

Craig Thompson
09-06-2007, 2:17 PM
Very nice. What kind of material did you use? What finish?

thanks.

Jamie, It was all made with Hard Maple, Finished with MLCampbell's pigmented lacquer... kind of an oatmeal, Chocolate Glaze, and a couple more coats of 'medium rub' lacquer.

Bruce Page
09-06-2007, 2:51 PM
Craig, there's a house up the street from me that's up for sale....

Very nice

Jeffrey Makiel
09-06-2007, 3:23 PM
I heard your darn planer all the way over here in New Jersey. I will be sending some drawings shortly. :)

-Jeff :)

frank shic
09-06-2007, 3:37 PM
craig, did you consider making the raised panels on the front of the bar as one MASSIVE piece? your approach seems much easier.

Craig Thompson
09-06-2007, 3:57 PM
Frank, One piece would have looked better and used less lumber... I would have preferred it. (I think it looks nicer)... But Ronny wanted this design... like his kitchen upstairs... Darn those mass producers, always giving up proper build practices for easy installs

frank shic
09-10-2007, 5:54 PM
craig, it's just another reminder that "beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder (customer)" and that most people simply don't appreciate the same level of detail as we do! ;)