PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Travis Lanman
01-29-2004, 8:37 PM
Hi everyone. New member here. I've been reading messages for a few months now and finally decided to join. I've been woodworking since March of last year and am slowly building my skills and tool collection. I look forward to sharing this forum with all of the knowledgeable people here. If any one has any questions for me feel free to ask.
Travis

Lloyd Robins
01-29-2004, 8:43 PM
Welcome to the "Creek." I am certain that you will enjoy it here. It is a nice place to be. :)

Dennis Peacock
01-29-2004, 8:45 PM
<font size=+2><B>Welcome Travis!!!</b></font>

Welcome to the Creek..!!!! Wade on in, grab a pole and wet a hook. Snag what you can and leave what you will for others to learn and observe. We're one big family here and many are regulars that are here almost every single day.

Todd Burch
01-29-2004, 8:51 PM
Welcome Travis!

Dave Avery
01-29-2004, 8:55 PM
Hi Travis,

Nice to meet you. Welcome to the Creek. Dave.

Jason Tuinstra
01-29-2004, 9:04 PM
Welcome Travis!!!

Von Bickley
01-29-2004, 9:15 PM
Travis,

Glad to have you in the Creek........

Dick Parr
01-29-2004, 9:20 PM
Welcome Travis!

Ron Jones near Indy
01-29-2004, 9:26 PM
Glad you're here! Nice place with nice people--and a lot of woodworking knowledge.

Dale Thompson
01-29-2004, 9:35 PM
I just have one favor to ask. I have been butchering wood for over thirty years and have never made anything worth posting on any board. :( I take umbrage at newbies posting pictures of stuff which I could never hope to make. Please don't post any of your great stuff unless you claim that you have at least 45 years of experience - lie if you have to. :) It will make me feel better.

Lastly, there is the "round" vs. "flat" thing. I am obviously one of the more mature posters on SMC. I graduated from college KNOWING that the world is flat (How do I know? My engineering professors like Aristotle, Socrates, etc. TOLD me so!!). Over the years, however, I have been seduced by the Lathe Goddess and I sometimes babble some hallucinatory dribble about the world being round. :confused: Please ignore that utter nonsense. ;)

Whatever, Travis, enjoy your membership. Continue to absorb the knowledge of the professionals who are now your comrads and PLEASE don't hesitate to help me out every time that you can. If there's one thing that I need it is HELP!! - especially with empting my scrapbox! :o

Dale T. :)

John Miliunas
01-29-2004, 9:52 PM
A BIG SMC WELCOME, Travis! Glad you decided to join in. It's a real good bunch of people with skills, talents and knowledge beyond what you could find in any single book. Probably, any local library, for that matter! Stop often and stay long. Oh, and don't pay attention to the babbling of Dale. We all *know* he's just like that "plain Jane" Dodge sitting next to you at the stoplight: Looks like a demure '69 Dart, but there's a Hemi under the hood! Don't be afraid posting project or shop pics! :cool:

PS: Dale T., you really DO crack me up! :D

Jim Becker
01-29-2004, 9:56 PM
Welcome aboard, Travis...this is a great community. And don't worry about the round vs flat conundrum...trees come both ways!

Travis Lanman
01-29-2004, 10:13 PM
Thank you all for the kind welcome. Here's one of my first projects made out of 1/4" ply and all cut on the scrollsaw. I hope this picture works.
Travis

Bob Lasley
01-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Hey Travis,

Welcome to the Creek. I see you live in beautiful La Grande. It's been awhile since I've been there, but really enjoyed the area. I did some work on top of Mt. Fanny back in the mid 80's. The last time I was up there, had to go in by snowcat. That was quite an experience for an Okie!

Glad you joined up,
Bob

Travis Lanman
01-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Hey Travis,

Welcome to the Creek. I see you live in beautiful La Grande. It's been awhile since I've been there, but really enjoyed the area. I did some work on top of Mt. Fanny back in the mid 80's. The last time I was up there, had to go in by snowcat. That was quite an experience for an Okie!

Glad you joined up,
Bob

Thanks Bob. It's great living here. We have a lot of snow right now but it's been years since we've had any snow to speak of. It's still a small town of about 14,000. Right now I have a huge drift in front of the shop that makes me want to go out there less.
Travis

Ted Calver
01-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Hey Travis,
Welcome!! Jump right in....the waters always warm....and we try not to notice the bubbles!!

Good to have you aboard,
Ted

Mark Singer
01-29-2004, 11:59 PM
It truly is a gret place . Nice helpful people snd fun. Welcome Travis!

Boyd Gathwright
01-30-2004, 12:28 AM
Hello Travis,

I'll show you a picture of my two cycle MTD snowblower if you show me a picture of that Snow drift in front of your shop. :eek:

Welcome aboard and happy woodworking.

Boyd

Thanks Bob. It's great living here. We have a lot of snow right now but it's been years since we've had any snow to speak of. It's still a small town of about 14,000. Right now I have a huge drift in front of the shop that makes me want to go out there less.
Travis

Tyler Howell
01-30-2004, 9:27 AM
Travis,

I am going to have to support Dale on Noobeez Posting great pix, :mad: when my work looks like Popsicle stix and paste compared to the pros around here. :( At least you can tell us you were born on your father's workbench. Saw dust to cushion the tool box used for your crib.....Please something to make the wood connection and natural talent.

Great Scroll work. ;)

Welcome and keep sharing.

Rob Russell
01-30-2004, 1:15 PM
Welcome aboard - or in!

Dale Thompson
01-30-2004, 9:47 PM
You have already created a problem on the board. John from Spring Green, WI., who should be a fellow Badger, Packer Fan and Cheesehead had accused me of being a phony. It's obvious that he has never seen my BEST scrap. Everybody needs a good laugh once in a while. Why doesn't he have the guts to drive a few miles and see how REALLY bad a woodworker can be?? So much for moral courage!

Tyler, over in Viking Land, however, has suggested a whole new woodworking approach for me. Hey guy, I've exhausted every other avenue. Which catalog did you use to get your popsicle sticks and glue thing?? I'm not sure about the sticks and glue but I know that contact cement works. That's the way that my wife keeps me in the shop overnight. "Just step HERE, Honey!!" :eek: :o

Dale T. :)

John Miliunas
01-30-2004, 10:07 PM
You have already created a problem on the board. John from Spring Green, WI., who should be a fellow Badger, Packer Fan and Cheesehead had accused me of being a phony. It's obvious that he has never seen my BEST scrap. Everybody needs a good laugh once in a while. Why doesn't he have the guts to drive a few miles and see how REALLY bad a woodworker can be?? So much for moral courage!

Oh puleeeeeeeeeaze! When my insurance dude convinced me I should get rid of the wood burner, I had to line up no less than three people to take MY scrap off my hands! I'm starting to run out of shop space! At least you've got all those paper mills nearby and you can toss your stuff in their parking lot as you pass by! :D And I ain't even counting the box, errrr, barrel....no. Not barrel. Dumpster. Yeah. The dumpster next to the lathe! :rolleyes: LOML suggested I start with toothpicks, as they don't take as much room as the popsicle sticks and forced my daughter to give up her Elmer's white glue, 'cuz she refused to try and get anymore Gorilla glue out of my good jeans! So there! :cool:

Dale Thompson
01-30-2004, 11:17 PM
You have insurance - yeah right!? You have got to quit accepting telemarketing calls from those sweet-talking folks from lower Antarctica who promise you coverage for wayward woodworkers!!

Anyway, we are supposed to be setting a GOOD example for Travis. Shame on YOU!!

GORILLA GLUE!! What a genius you are!! I never thought of that. I don't have any GOOD jeans but maybe that is why I haven't been able to get my insulated long-johns off for the past three months. :( That's not funny! How do I treat my toenail fungus??

PAPER MILLS!! They are not in good shape around here. The only thing that keeps them from going under is the scrap from my shop. OK - no wise comments - with my scrap, they should be making MILLIONS!! :o

OK - a note to your LOML-- PLEASE give the Elmer's Glue back to that beautiful little girl who calls you Mom and Dad. I BEG you!!!

Who knows?? A decent woodworker may come out of your family, SOMEDAY!! :cool:

Dale T.

Miliunas]Oh puleeeeeeeeeaze! When my insurance dude convinced me I should get rid of the wood burner, I had to line up no less than three people to take MY scrap off my hands! I'm starting to run out of shop space! At least you've got all those paper mills nearby and you can toss your stuff in their parking lot as you pass by! :D And I ain't even counting the box, errrr, barrel....no. Not barrel. Dumpster. Yeah. The dumpster next to the lathe! :rolleyes: LOML suggested I start with toothpicks, as they don't take as much room as the popsicle sticks and forced my daughter to give up her Elmer's white glue, 'cuz she refused to try and get anymore Gorilla glue out of my good jeans! So there! :cool:[/QUOTE]