PDA

View Full Version : I think I need a bigger skew...and maybe some other tools too =)

Aaron Buys
09-05-2007, 11:54 PM
The only turning tools I presently have are as follows:

http://fisch-woodworking.com/detailturningtools.shtml
(The skew is mislabled in the picture)

They are for "detail" work and seem to work well for pens however they feel pretty small for larger work I would like to do...particularly my skew chisel. Its so narrow I feel like it grabs at even the slightest rotation and seems to have a very small "workable area." I'd like to make a baby rattle (baby due in 4 weeks) but I don't really want to move to anything bigger than a pen until I have something more substantial. Not to mention the tiny tools are fairly hard to sharpen even with my tormek jigs.

Can you guys make a recommendation for another set of tools or at the very least a larger gouge and skew chisel?

Thanks!

Burt Alcantara
09-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Aaron,
Size matters! On average, skews come 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1+". Larger skews are more manageable but only for larger work. I make small boxes and find a 1/2" works best but it is difficult to manage so I practice on 2x2" made from 2x4 stock. After a while, it feels just right.

When I started out, I bought the Harbor Freight $30 set, mostly to use to learn sharpening. I'm still using the spindle gouge, roughing gouge and both skews. All of my knowledge is based on Alan Lacer's "The Skew Chisel," with some Richard Raffan thrown in. The secret of the skew is sharpness and control. These tools require a great deal of practice. As it turns out, the practice part is the most fun part!

Others will offer better advice...
Burt

Ken Fitzgerald
09-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Aaron,

A lot of folks like the HF set that sells for about $40.

Benjamin's Best at PSI gets some pretty good ratings for the buck too!

For what it's worth....I have a set of miniatures I bought from Woodcraft. I use them on extremely small spindle work...knobs etc....but on pens my go to tool is a 3/4" Robert Larson skew. Most of my pens...that's the only tool I use....roughout, shape and finish plane. Now the brand name isn't important. The point I was making that a larger skew can be used on smaller projects. Good luck Aaron and Congrats on the upcoming family addition! Life is good.

Glenn Hodges
09-06-2007, 9:20 AM
Aaron, I have a number of skews, but I use the 1/2, 3/4, and 1 1/8 in. skews the most. I have 3 of the 1 1/8 in. P&N skews. 2 are ground for the curves on the inside of bowls, and one has the factory grind. I use these 1 1/8 more than the others because of their width and thickness they are easier for me to control.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,330&p=49138
sells them as well as other companies. I mention this link for you to see them for comparison, not to suggest you should purchase these skews.

Ralph Lindberg
09-06-2007, 9:01 PM
I've seen Alan Lacer use a 1-3/8 skew to make a 1/2x3/8 inch top. Skill and sharpness are the key (sharp, I am getting down, skill.... not yet)

Bernie Weishapl
09-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Aaron I have 3 skews. Lacer's 5/8" and 1 3/8" plus Raffans 1" skew. I did make a top like Lacer in my practice which was 3/4" X 1/2". I use the big one on almost everything from lidded boxes, mini birdhouses, ornaments, etc. You must learn to sharpen them and practice, practice, and practice some more. It is my favorite tool.