PDA

View Full Version : Vector Art

Frank Defert
09-05-2007, 9:57 PM
I have been looking for vector art images available for purchase on the internet, so many images per disc for x amount of money. There are lots to choose from but I am looking for input from the Creek about your experiences about this type of purchase and any recomendations you may have....

Thanks....Frank

Nancy Laird
09-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Frank, we got one absolutely essential package when we bought our second laser. It's called Art Explosion, has 125,000 images on 10 discs, with a 2"-thick "manual" showing all of the images on the discs. It has (almost) everything you would ever want to use, including about 50 different alphabets. We've used the tar out of it.

Another we got was the "Big Box of Art", supposedly 1 million images. However, there isn't a book with it showing what is on which disc, so it's difficult to use---you have to browse through about 15 discs to find what you might be looking for. I'd avoid that one if you can.

If you have a scanner, scroll saw pattern books are a good place to look for vector and raster images. We converted a bunch of scroll-saw patterns to vector to make some acrylic clocks, and I've used some of the raster patterns out of a Southwest scroll pattern book on some of our pieces, including doing some glass. They'll probably have to be cleaned up a little because even the best line drawings have stray pixels in them and (usually) crooked lines that WILL show up when you start rastering or cutting them.

Good luck, and happy lasering.

Nancy (107 days)

Keith Outten
09-06-2007, 6:55 AM
Frank,

Vector Art Mega Collection
http://www.vectorart.com

Don't buy from their web site you can find their CD's much cheaper elsewhere. Their CD#1 is the best of the three and it is used frequently in my shop. Excellent vector art work for engraving and CNC routing.

Craig Hogarth
09-06-2007, 11:45 AM
I agree with Keith. I've bought a lot of art and I only use vector art 1&2 plus a small collection from roland.

All others I have bought aren't really designed for engraving. I find some great art, but waste a lot of time removing unwanted lines.

Mike Kelly
09-07-2007, 8:03 AM
Nancy I looked at the Nova Development website and all of the images are WIF, TIF, JPG, and GIF, but no AI, EPS or DXF files. I think the Vector Art collections are more vector friendly. Nova has a lot of them for the dollar, but they would take a lot of reformatting to use effectively. VCarve Pro 4.0 might well use these images easily with their new trace feature.

Dan Starr
09-08-2007, 8:55 AM
Try www.clipartdesign.com (http://www.clipartdesign.com), their ornaments mega pack is great.

Keith Outten
09-09-2007, 4:01 AM
Our System Administrator Aaron Koehl won Vector Art CD#2 yesterday at the Troy Virginia ShopBot Camp. One of many prizes, including several router bits donated by Centurion Tools that were drawn from a hat by the ShopBot Staff who attended the event.

mahdi gashti
09-09-2007, 5:04 AM
Hi You can use this site to find the barand's vecto logo and clipart by serch in http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/
Download free and enjoy

Kevin Huffman
09-10-2007, 4:57 PM
You beat me Mahdi, I go to brandsoftheworld.com for any company logo's I need. They are free and usually made very well.

Frank Defert
09-11-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks to all who replied...great info

Kieth thanks for the pricing tip, was looking to purchase the vector art mega disc 1 but have now found it elsewhere at 54% off the suggested price.

Frank

Peter Zacarelli
09-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Frank,
Sometimes when I am looking for a particular photo I go to istockphoto DOTcom (change DOT to .) and make a purchase. They have photos, images, graphics and even movies. Most images and some photos come with vectored files. You have to look at the description and what is included with each purchase. I have downloaded some very cool vector images and pictures.