PDA

View Full Version : New Monitor - Much Better for X-3

Joe Pelonio
09-05-2007, 2:49 PM
I really don't mean this as a gloat, :D but as a suggestion. I decided that with my old eyes I'd like to upgrade from 19" to 22" on the monitor I use for the laser. It never hit my mind that the new LCD monitors are landscape rather than square until I started looking at them. Sure enough, with my laser work area of 12"x24" it's the perfect shape, I can get the entire X-3 page on the screen at the same time, blown up big enough to see and edit it nicely. It's 1680x1050 pixels.

Adam Stacey
09-05-2007, 4:00 PM
Black bezel 22", might that be a VX2235WM?

Joe Pelonio
09-05-2007, 4:37 PM
Black bezel 22", might that be a VX2235WM?
No, it actually cost a little less than I found that one for, with better reviews, it's a E228FPW. I don't like to give free advertising to manufacturers so it shall go brandless.

Peter Meacham
09-05-2007, 4:51 PM
Well, now that we are on the subject of computer equipment - who has suggestions on a top quality mouse for use with Corel - three button?, Optical, high resolution?, etc. Thanks, Pete

Keith Outten
09-05-2007, 5:56 PM
Joe,

I got a simular monitor for my birthday a couple weeks ago and feel the same as you do, the extra real estate makes the experiance much more pleasent. I also kept my old LCD monitor so I have a dual monitor setup now that I am enjoying more than I thought possible.

Congratulations on the new monitor.

Mitchell Andrus
09-05-2007, 7:37 PM
Ditto. I went to 22" wide-screen and a high-res video card about 6 months ago, not just for X3 stuff be for building the new website and editing about 450 new images, backgrounds, etc.

I'm on hour 250+ (no kidding, it's a solo effort) and the new screen is the nuts! Single focus glasses help too ;)

Mike Null
09-05-2007, 8:06 PM
Come on you guys! My eyes are already starting to bother me.

Anthony Welch
09-05-2007, 8:26 PM
How do you make 2 or 3 monitors work/connect?

Steven Smith
09-05-2007, 8:40 PM

With my machine, I just got an additional monitor card (dual-multi) capable connected an additional monitor and bingo!
A wide screen setup would be more elegant but two does the job too I guess.

Keith Outten
09-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Like Steven I have a video card that has two monitor outputs. When you move the mouse to the extreme right side of the primary monitor it switches to the right side monitor. You drag any window that is open to the right monitor to use it.

Bob Cole
09-06-2007, 12:29 AM
With XP/Vista, it is usually as easy as just adding another video card (with another monitor). To get the best output, a card with multiple video outputs is best and the software/drivers make the setup easier.

In my other life, I work with multi-monitors all the time (3 or 4 monitor systems are the norm). This is usually better with multiple applications as the outer area of the monitors gets in the way when working on a single application that spans across both/all displays. If you get use to it, then not a big deal.

I purchased 2, 20" wide and found it wasn't necessary as I was using a resolution of 1680X1050pixels. I moved the other monitor to the house. The new monitors are so crisp, you can pretty much max out the resolution and still make out all the detail.

Mitchell Andrus
09-06-2007, 7:34 AM
Bob,

I tried to 'max out' the pixels... the info on the screen got small, but not so small that I couldn't work with it and I would have kept it that way... but...

I had to switch the resolution back down to the 'norm'... I'm constantly tweaking my website and I need to see what my visitors see. I still enjoy the added real estate.

Adam Stacey
09-06-2007, 11:07 AM

Probably cheaper/better off to get a separate video card for each monitor than using one with multiple outputs. There are single cards that can do it, but you have a better chance of getting it to work the way you want it with separate cards.

For example, some cards with dual monitor outputs will only let you clone your current display, which is pretty useless. There are programs out there that can fix this with certain driver function emulation, but that is just another hurtle to jump.

Wil Lambert
09-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Well, now that we are on the subject of computer equipment - who has suggestions on a top quality mouse for use with Corel - three button?, Optical, high resolution?, etc. Thanks, Pete

I use a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet at all times. Once you get used to them you don't go back to a mouse. The best way to get used to them is remove your regular mouse and use the tablet all the time. It takes about a week to get productive with it. I use the 9" x 12" version. It is large but works well for my tastes.

Wil

Bill Cunningham
09-06-2007, 8:21 PM
You folks must have a lot more room on your desks than I have!! The monitor I'm using right now (in the house) is a 'old' 15" AAmazing that I bought when I upgraded from my Tandy 1000 to to the new ultrafast 486 :D This one died about 10 years ago, so while it was out being repaired, off to Costco I went and paid $375.00 for the 15" tube type Magnavox I use in the shop now.. I upgraded the computer, but not the monitor a couple of years ago.. The old eyes did not want to see change! But I now wear glasses when working/reading (I swear that monitor gets blurrier and blurrier every year, and they don't even make mirrors as clear as they used to :mad: ). The new LCD's are really inexpensive compared to what a tube type monitor costs only a few years ago. I guess Ill have to clear some of the crp off my desk to make some room! As for 'mice' I have Optical 3 button ones (center button/wheel) in both places, The one in the house works with my right hand, the one in the shop is on my left.. This drives others nuts, but I don't even think about it when I pick up either one.. (fully ampidextrous):p

Joe Pelonio
09-06-2007, 9:39 PM
Bill,

even with the 22" I have a lot MORE room on the desk. The monitor is just over an inch thick, so you don't have that long, wide tube sticking out the back. Go for it!

Bill Cunningham
09-06-2007, 11:02 PM
My desk problem is 'width'. The old one just slides back into a bridge that sits over the monitor, and supports the computer above it (as well as a bunch of junk), and the back area is space I can't use anyway.. I can see I'm gonna hafta bite the bullet, and re-design my work area..Heck, I've still got a cut out in a shelf area in this 'work station' where the 5 meg H.D. (sized about 18" x 24" x 6") used to sit and suck power all day long.. The only thing that scares me, is a 19 inch monitor is going to let me see stuff I never seen before, (stuff no customer would ever notice) and the perfectionist in me is going to suckup 20% more time for every job. Decisions decisions decisions...

Mike Hood
09-08-2007, 10:23 AM
I use a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet at all times. Once you get used to them you don't go back to a mouse.

No kidding there. I use one here as well. Took some getting used to, but WOW, once you do!

I have the PC for my Explorer built into the laser cabinet itself, and the 19'' LCD mounted on a tilt away mount to the back of the cabinet. It's perfect having everything in one place. I also use a wireless keyboard, so I can sit in front and do everything in one place.