PDA

View Full Version : Blower-to-Cyclone duct length

Matt Meiser
01-29-2004, 6:33 PM
I have a 2HP jet blower from a DC1200 which I use with an Oneida C-650 cyclone. In my old shop, the blower was mounted in the attic above the cyclone with the inlet facing directly down into the top of the cyclone. In my new shop, it will be easier if I have some ducting (maybe about 5-6' and a 90 degree elbow) between the blower and the cyclone. This would allow me to mount the blower on a shelf instead of hanging it off the wall 8' off the ground. Any significant drawback to doing this?

Jim Becker
01-29-2004, 7:02 PM
If you can make that connection with a "big roundhouse turn", so much the better. It might cost you a few dollars, but some of that flexible metal duct might be perfect for this application as it's pretty smooth inside. I'm not talking about the metal flex from the home center...the stuff from Oneida, Air Handling Systems, etc. is what I mean. Ching ching...but east to get a big gentle curve.

Terry Hatfield
01-29-2004, 7:05 PM
Matt,

Should be fine. I would suggest that you keep the duct as short as possible but still allowing for a smooth radius on the 90 deg bend. That should minimize any perfromance loss.

What duct material are you going to use?? Obviously, the smoother the duct and the 90 deg. bend is the better.

Terry

Terry Hatfield
01-29-2004, 7:07 PM
Jim,

There we go....typing at the same time... :D and...we even agreed with each other. :D

t

Matt Meiser
01-29-2004, 7:07 PM
Matt,

Should be fine. I would suggest that you keep the duct as short as possible but still allowing for a smooth radius on the 90 deg bend. That should minimize any perfromance loss.

What duct material are you going to use?? Obviously, the smoother the duct and the 90 deg. bend is the better.

Terry

All to the cyclone will be PVC, but I'd probably use metal between the cyclone and blower, because for one it will mate more easily with both.

Terry Hatfield
01-29-2004, 7:09 PM
Matt,

I would take Jim's advice and get some good flex or fittings for the blower to cyclone connection. You really want to reduce friction in that situation as much as you possiby can.

Please let us know how it works out and post a pic or two.

t

Matt Meiser
01-29-2004, 7:19 PM
Oneida just sent me 10' of their clear flex, but Ken Craft is only about 20 minutes from me and they have these (http://www.kencraftcompany.com/long_sweep_elbows_90_and_45_degr.htm).

I can probably pick up one of them on Saturday before we pick up the truck to finally get all my "stuff" out of storage.

Terry Hatfield
01-29-2004, 7:30 PM
Matt,

I definitely vote for the nice 90 from Kencraft. Should work great.

t

Jim Becker
01-29-2004, 9:35 PM
I definitely vote for the nice 90 from Kencraft. Should work great.

I second the motion...this is exactly what I was envisioning as the end result...a nice big, lovely sweep into the blower.

Ken Garlock
01-30-2004, 12:59 PM
Who is this Ken Craft, and why do you want his ducting :rolleyes:

But, seriously, I have done several google searches and can't find anything about the company. What is the lowdown on the company, and do they have a website, etc. :confused:

Terry Hatfield
01-30-2004, 1:04 PM
Ken,

Here is the link to their site. I have no personal experience with them, but I have seen many good reviews of them in the forums.

http://www.kencraftcompany.com/

Terry

Matt Meiser
01-30-2004, 1:58 PM
They are mostly a hardwood lumber dealer in Toledo, OH. I buy small quantities of lumber (a few boards here and there) and my good plywoods from them. They also sell a decent selection of ductwork. However, the biggest reason I like them is because they are about 10 miles from me.

Ken Garlock
01-30-2004, 7:34 PM
Terry, Matt, thanks for the info. I now have them bookmarked for future reference. :cool:

Matt Meiser
01-30-2004, 10:42 PM
I picked up one of the elbows from Ken Craft this afternoon. They are made of 20ga steel and are very heavy. I feel sorry for you guys who have to pay UPS on these.

They got a kick out of Ken's comment.

John Miliunas
01-31-2004, 11:03 AM
I picked up one of the elbows from Ken Craft this afternoon. They are made of 20ga steel and are very heavy. I feel sorry for you guys who have to pay UPS on these.

They got a kick out of Ken's comment.

KenCraft is great, IMHO and, believe it or not, the UPS charges aren't all that bad. I bought all my blast gates (6") and the bulk of my transitions from them. Great quality and very competative pricing. I believe the UPS charges were absolute "actual" charges, so they weren't too bad. I'd recomend them in a heatbeat! :cool: