PDA

View Full Version : Microplane Stainless Steel Disc Sander

Bill Huber
09-05-2007, 1:16 PM
Is anyone using these for their sander, they look good on paper but you never know. You can say anything you want about a product but proving it is a different thing.

I have been trying different sandpapers on my sander and find that some just don't cut or others just don't last. I go a pack of Norton 3X and I will have to say it didn't last long at all, I guess the 3X means it wares out 3 times faster?

They say the steel disc will last 10 times longer and it that is true then they would not be a bad buy.

Any comments?????

Jim Becker
09-05-2007, 1:39 PM
I remember a discussion about this "way back" and most of us couldn't fathom how the material removed would "go away" effectively...

Lloyd McKinlay
09-05-2007, 1:40 PM
Although I have been tempted to try the Microplane I have gotten great results using the Mirka Gold sanding discs

Mike Goetzke
09-05-2007, 1:43 PM
I bought the trial pack a while back and just tried them a couple of weeks ago. I had a lot of material to remove so I started with the coarse. It worked great for a while but then the disk didn't want to stick to my sander. I went to finer grits and same thing happened. Also, they seem to tear the surface much more than sandpaper.

Mike

Benjamin Dahl
09-05-2007, 1:51 PM
I second Lloyd's praise for the Mirka Gold as I have had much better results than with other products. I like the microplane products for my kitchen but have not used the disc sander.

David Weaver
09-05-2007, 2:01 PM
If you have a microplane rasp, take a look at what it does to the edges of wood when you go across the grain. The microplane disc is a hogger, but it's really hard on the edges of boards. I don't remember seeing plugging, but after seeing one used, I would be very careful near the edges of work (like don't use it near edges).

For what it costs, it seems like a cabinet scraper may be a better start. Certainly cheaper, and more controllable.

My PC 6" barrel type ROS is hard on sandpaper on the edges, I think it's just the nature of the beast unless you have the patience to let it ride around perfectly flat, but then it doesn't cut as well. I wouldn't use a microplane on it, but that may just be me because speed is never an issue when I'm working on something.

If you can tune a cabinet scraper well and use it, you can skip a lot of sandpaper grits, and the costs don't add up quite as much. You could probably roll a burr on a $6 cabinet scraper several hundred or 1000 times before you can't use it, and it's a very satisfying tool to use, and no plugging on wood when you're taking finish off.

Apologies if you already use one a lot and I'm just telling you something you already know.

Bill Huber
09-05-2007, 3:49 PM
If you have a microplane rasp, take a look at what it does to the edges of wood when you go across the grain. The microplane disc is a hogger, but it's really hard on the edges of boards. I don't remember seeing plugging, but after seeing one used, I would be very careful near the edges of work (like don't use it near edges).

For what it costs, it seems like a cabinet scraper may be a better start. Certainly cheaper, and more controllable.

My PC 6" barrel type ROS is hard on sandpaper on the edges, I think it's just the nature of the beast unless you have the patience to let it ride around perfectly flat, but then it doesn't cut as well. I wouldn't use a microplane on it, but that may just be me because speed is never an issue when I'm working on something.

If you can tune a cabinet scraper well and use it, you can skip a lot of sandpaper grits, and the costs don't add up quite as much. You could probably roll a burr on a $6 cabinet scraper several hundred or 1000 times before you can't use it, and it's a very satisfying tool to use, and no plugging on wood when you're taking finish off.

Apologies if you already use one a lot and I'm just telling you something you already know.

I have never used a scraper but from what you are saying and what I have seen on TV I think its about time I ordered a set, they are not that expensive.

Thanks

Bill Huber
09-05-2007, 3:51 PM
Although I have been tempted to try the Microplane I have gotten great results using the Mirka Gold sanding discs

Now where is the best place to get the Mirka Gold?
I am just getting sick and tired of Norton paper and disk, they just don't last.

Thanks for the reply.

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-05-2007, 4:22 PM
Now where is the best place to get the Mirka Gold?
I am just getting sick and tired of Norton paper and disk, they just don't last.

Thanks for the reply.

Google "mirka gold abrasive" Without the quotation marks

Justin Bukoski
09-05-2007, 5:08 PM
Just note that there is a difference between a cabinet scraper and a card scraper. You'll enjoy having both have both and they are fairly cheap.

David Weaver
09-05-2007, 7:55 PM
Good point. What I'm referring to is a card scraper. Something like $15 for a pair of different thicknesses from LN, and also available from WW and hardware stores all over the place.

The same thing could be said for a cabinet scraper (using it before sandpaper). A little more picky on rolling the burr, but very useful. Not quite as light of a touch as the card scraper, though.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Tom Cowie
09-05-2007, 9:12 PM
Hi Bill

I have the Microplane rasps and 2 two inch drums. I like the rasps very much but the drums in a drill press gave me too many near misses so they don't get used much anymore.
Tom

Jon Lanier
09-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Is anyone using these for their sander, they look good on paper but you never know. You can say anything you want about a product but proving it is a different thing.

I have been trying different sandpapers on my sander and find that some just don't cut or others just don't last. I go a pack of Norton 3X and I will have to say it didn't last long at all, I guess the 3X means it wares out 3 times faster?

They say the steel disc will last 10 times longer and it that is true then they would not be a bad buy.

Any comments?????

They are okay if you want to rip your project finish to shreds. I've got three "grits" and the finest one tore up a practice board. Nope I wouldn't buy them.

julie Graf
09-06-2007, 10:32 PM
i agree with jon - TEARS it up. don't even bother to use it if you get it free.

i like the rasps though.

Carl Eyman
09-07-2007, 12:04 PM
I got no use from it at all. The holes plugged up in the first few seconds of use. I posted that information here several years ago. An official from the manufacturer answered it saying they were working on the problem and would send me a new one when developed. So far no further word. Guess they never solved the problem! I'll be glad to send you mine for the postage. I love the hand tools, but the disc is a loser.