PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky trip

Maurice Ungaro
09-05-2007, 8:26 AM
Well, I just got back from visiting family in Louisville (been 4 years since I've made a trip there), and took the I-75 route back (I-65 going up). I wanted to show my bride the nice little town of Berea, and to possibly "happen" along a few wood working galleries. That's right, I was in the town of Warren Mays, Brian Boggs, and Kelly Mehler.

Unfortunately, it was Labor Day Monday, and all the great shops were closed :( . Guess that'll teach me to do things THAT spur of the moment. Anyway, Warren's shop windows displayed some interesting tables, and I'm investigating the possibility of some woodworking seminars there.

Pat Zabrocki
09-05-2007, 9:33 AM
I went to a weekend carving class at Kelly Mehler's school about six weeks ago. The school is top notch and you won't meet a nicer guy than Kelly. He and his school are highly recommended. I took the carving class because he lets "alumni" sign up first for upcoming classes and this was one of the few that was not full. I'll be attending something else now that I'm an "alumni", just don't know what just yet.

As for that area, its just beautiful. Part of my trip was two days at Kelly's school and the other three days was spent riding through Tennessee on my motorcycle. The drive from Kelly's place in Kentucky to my friends place in Tennessee was just beautiful. Next time, I'll take some time to ride in Kentucky.

cheers
Pat

John Thompson
09-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Morning Maurice...

Agree with Pat that the whole area between Berea (have a lot of muscle car customers in that area) and down the eastern side of Tennessee is very beautiful. I have been looking for a few years at land in that vicinity as I am near retirement and Atlanta has gotten a bit to hustle and bustle from the somewhat rural setting I grew up in just outside the city.

Regards...

Sarge..

Maurice Ungaro
09-05-2007, 11:33 AM
You guys are dead on about the beauty of Kentucky. It's my home state, and I've spent countless hours camping in the eastern part, and hitting every historic site there is to see. I moved away for college, and haven't lived back there since. However, it is still one of the prettiest states, in my opinion.

Atlanta is too much of everything these days. I had the good fortune of living in quasi-rural Fayette County, and then South Fulton County. Now, they're getting built out too.

Yep, a good trip to Berea to make some dust and chips seems like a good adventure. Gotta get that on the schedule.

J. Greg Jones
09-05-2007, 8:39 PM
Well, had I known you were going to be in town, my shop was open on Labor Day! :D Berea is indeed a great area. I just moved here a couple of months ago myself. I am originally from another part of Kentucky but have lived in Ohio for many years. We picked Berea to move to for our eventual retirement and we could not be happier with the decision to come here.

Maurice Ungaro
09-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Greg,
I'll have to look you up when I come through next time!