PDA

View Full Version : Tricks on setting hinges?

Guy Germaine
09-05-2007, 7:16 AM
Up until now, I've just used the cheap hinges from the BORG on my boxes. Normally, I just clamp the lid in place, and screw the hinges to the outside of the box. This time, I decided to try the better hinges from Rockler. These are the ones that open to 95 degrees. What tips/tricks do you guys have in setting the hinges so the lid comes out straight? The lid is the same size as the box, so I just measured in from the edge on each piece, and set the hinges that way. Problem is, the lid was crooked when I got done :mad:

I need a tutorial, or some good instructions.
Thanks

john bateman
09-05-2007, 8:38 AM
I recently used these stop hinges from Rockler on a jewelry box. Since I
wanted them mortised into the lid and base, I made a hardboard template, the exact size of the box, and use a router with a template guide. This way, the hardboard could be clamped to both the the lid, and base, and would position the mortise at the same location.
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/70391-md.jpg
http://members.verizon.net/%7Epecker/jbox/12croprs.jpg

Jamie Buxton
09-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Get one of those self-centering bits (Vix is the best-known manufacturer). If the pilot holes for the screws aren't exactly centered on the holes in the hinge, the screws move the hinge away from where you intend.

lowell holmes
09-05-2007, 9:32 PM
Garret Hack recently did a piece on setting hinges in FWW. I think they even had a video on their web site.

In the past, I've made a plywood jig for routing the mortice. Most of the time I scribe around the hinge with a utility knife and use a chisel. You can freehand with the router close the scribe lines as well and then trim the mortise with a sharp chisel.

If the hinge doesn't close completly it is bound by the stop or the mortice and you need to adjust it.

If you mortice too deep, shim it out with veneer or carboard.

I've made about every mistake you can make with hinges.

Josiah Bartlett
09-06-2007, 3:32 AM
One of the more-used tools in my shop is one of those spring-loaded "clicker" center punches. I keep it in my pocket and use it for hole locations. It has a self-contained little slide hammer inside it, you just hold it to the material and press until it clicks and fires, and you have a little divot with which to start your drill bit. I also use it for marking when I don't have a pencil handy. It is a great way to keep screws from wandering.

Also, mortising for the hinge is a good way to keep it centered.