PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite?............

Ken Fitzgerald
09-04-2007, 11:04 PM
The LOML has commissioned a vahhhhhhse. I happen to have a piece of mesquite that is about the right size. I've never worked with mesquite.

Do I need to rough it and DNA it......Or can I turn it to finish?

It'll be about 7" tall by 2" wide...thin walls......end grain....Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ernie Nyvall
09-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Some do turn it to finish. I think Robert McGowen mentioned he does. It doesn't move much, and on edgrain it may not move at all.

I prefer to soak it and let it dry.

Bernie Weishapl
09-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Ken I turned a mesquite vahhhhse as you call it and with walls about 1/8" or maybe a little over with the monster rig and laser. Took it off the lathe, pour antique oil inside it rolled it around until it started coming thru the sides. Poured the excess into my cup and saturated the outside. A few minutes of soaking then wiped off the excess and let dry. Did this about 3 times and buffed after the 3rd coat after letting it dry for a week. Two would be fine but my sister wanted her's shiney. I see no need to DNA it. It does not move much if any. By the way the four mesquite NE I have did Ken have been turned started to finish with no movement at all. Then soaked with antique oil. If I had one wood to turn it would be mesquite. Your going to love it.

Jude Kingery
09-05-2007, 12:10 AM
Hey Ken, I turn a lot of Mesquite here, it really is a fairly dry tree and grows well in an arid climate, so might not move on you much, but it will crack and check, so I'd use wax or something on end grain, between rough cuts and final turnings; that seems to work for me very well. It's a relatively dense wood, nice coffee color. Turns very well with sharp tools. Best to you, let us know how it goes! Jude

Sean Troy
09-05-2007, 7:58 AM
It's one of the most stable woods you'll ever turn. After you finish the outside, sanding included, coat it with some oil. I always use walnut oil, then finish off the inside. You can use any topcoat after the oil drys.

Jim Becker
09-05-2007, 8:45 AM
Like Sean said, mesquite is extremely stable no matter what the moisture content. You can turn to finish right away if you want to...

Marvin Hasenak
09-05-2007, 8:59 AM
It is as stable as can be, you can turn it right off the tree. Be sure and save the chips for for your next BBQ, just soak them in water for a little while and then put some on the coals to create a great mesquite smoked BBQ flavor.

Marvin

Frank Kobilsek
09-05-2007, 9:13 AM
Ken,
Fellow Creeker shipped me a mesquite log. I roughed and DNA'ed, haven't finish turned yet.

Marvin is right about smokin. I smoked some brisket and tri-tip on Labor Day, my best ever used the bowl 'corners'.

Frank

Mike Ramsey
09-05-2007, 11:41 AM
To quote Clay Foster, Mesquite is probably the most stable wood of all...
I've turned a bunch & just finished it, never soaked any & not much movement at all.

Dick Strauss
09-05-2007, 3:48 PM
Ken,
Rich and I turned a mesquite piece while I was in Houston. We finished it the same night. I don't think it has moved even after a long ride back to OH in a hot trunk.