PDA

View Full Version : "Pops" on Route 66

Pat Germain
09-04-2007, 10:58 PM
I recently saw a story on CNN about a new gas station/cafe in Oklahoma on Route 66. This place is called "Pops" and, in addition to a gas station and cafe, features 400 kinds of soda pop. The cafe serves burgers made from locally raised beef.

I'm visiting Oklahoma this week. I thought it would be fun to take a trip down Route 66 and visit Pops with my family. Trouble is, everybody is having the same idea!

Good golly. Pops was packed to say the least. For anyone considering a visit to Pops in Arcadia, Oklahoma, be advised of the following:

- The cafe is very small; just several large booths and some small tables against the glass walls

- When we arrived at 1:00 PM, we couldn't get in to eat until 4:00 PM. We passed

- The soda pop varieties are incredible and fun to browse, but a bit expensive. I think it works out to over $2.00 for a small bottle when tax is included

On the plus side, it really is a cool place to visit. The architecture is quite stunning. The soda pop store and cafe are almost all glass. The very large roof over the fueling area is one, gigantic cantalever. There's also a large, lighted steel soda pop sculpture out front.
Just down a ways from Pops on Route 66 is the Round Barn which was recently restored. It's not a big deal, but fun to see.

If you want to eat at Pops, get there early, early, early. Based on what I learned talking with the staff, the place is pretty much mobbed almost all the time. It seems Route 66 is becoming quite a nostalgia attraction. Lots of people are cruising it these days; well, what's left of it, anyway.

There's also a Pops in Missouri, but I don't know anything about that location.

Gary Keedwell
09-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Ahhhh Route 66,,I used to watch that show when I was a kid. Don't remember very much...just a couple guys in a Vet, I think.:p

Gary K.

Jim Dunn
09-05-2007, 9:31 PM
Runs right in front of my old house. Up until 1958 ran right thru our small town. A really nice stretch of highway that still is in use. Course now it's Interstate 44.

Joe Mioux
09-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Runs right thru edwardsville il next to a Walter Burely Griffen home. Google edwardsville and WBG. its my sisters Il home.

Tyler Howell
09-06-2007, 8:25 AM
Traveled segments of it in many different states mostly OKC but never end to end.

Eddie Watkins
09-06-2007, 11:21 PM
I grew up in Modesto, CA and we used to drive back once or twice a year right down Route 66 before the interstates. My siblings and I call them "baloney vacations" because my Dad would stop and buy balogna, cheese and bread for our meals.:eek: I have some really fond memories on Route 66.;) As for Pops, I haven't been there, yet, but the reviews I'm getting are good.

Eddie

Pat Germain
09-08-2007, 11:22 AM
If possible, you should try to visit Pops on a weekday, Eddie. Otherwise, it's just too crowded. I don't know what it is about that joint, but it's like Walt Disney World in there on the weekends.

I'd like to see Pops at night. The big soda pop bottle lights up.