PDA

View Full Version : Blade tensioning on Grizzly 5013X

David Romano
09-04-2007, 7:51 PM
I've been eyeballing the Grizzly G0513X - now the X2. It accepts blades up to 1" but does anyone know if it can properly tension a 1" blade?

thanks
David

Andy Howard
09-04-2007, 8:04 PM
my G0513 does just fine with the timberwolf 1" blade that I got for it.
The X's were not out when I got mine, but if I was in the market again I would get the G0513X2.

I have run from 1/4" to 1" blades. The only recommendation I have is to use a Suffolk Machinery Timberwolf or comprable quality blade on it.

Andy

David Romano
09-05-2007, 6:54 PM
Thanks Andy, do you have any idea how many psi it can deliver? I was looking forward to using the Timberwolf blades too.

David

Jim Podsedly
09-05-2007, 7:07 PM
I second that from Andy. i run 1/4" to 1" blades though my 513x. The blades are all timberwolves.

Jim

Bill Arnold
09-05-2007, 7:19 PM
I've had a G0513 for several years. When I asked Grizzly, they recommend tensioning using the flutter method.

I have 1/4" to 1" blades -- got the 1" and a 3/4" for resawing. After talking with other woodworkers and performing my own testing, I settled on the 1/2" Woodslicer for resawing and it works great -- much better with less waste than the larger blades.

:)

Jim Podsedly
09-05-2007, 7:49 PM
I've had a G0513 for several years. When I asked Grizzly, they recommend tensioning using the flutter method.

I have 1/4" to 1" blades -- got the 1" and a 3/4" for resawing. After talking with other woodworkers and performing my own testing, I settled on the 1/2" Woodslicer for resawing and it works great -- much better with less waste than the larger blades.

:)

Bill, Just curious why you like the 1/2" better than the 1" for resawing? What do you generally resaw? I always thought the wider the better for resawing. But willing to try the 1/2" woodslicer if it gets good recommendations.

Jim

Bill Arnold
09-05-2007, 8:14 PM
Bill, Just curious why you like the 1/2" better than the 1" for resawing? What do you generally resaw? I always thought the wider the better for resawing. But willing to try the 1/2" woodslicer if it gets good recommendations.

Jim
I got a 1" blade for resawing when I bought my bandsaw -- seemed logical that wider equals better. I did some decent resawing in cherry and walnut but wasn't satisfied with the quality of the cut. Others led me to the Woodslicer, so I bought one and got much better results. For the price, it's probably hard to beat. Google around and you'll see plenty of results discussing this subject. Highland Hardware has a full discussion of the design of the Woodslicer.

Bi-metal blades are supposed to be another step up, but I haven't tried one myself.

Andy Howard
09-05-2007, 8:26 PM
Thanks Andy, do you have any idea how many psi it can deliver? I was looking forward to using the Timberwolf blades too.

David

David,

I do not know what psi the frame can deliver? I am usually running it at a much lower tension than it can deliver. I can give it more tension, but the cut doesnt get any better!

Andy

Tom Hamilton
09-05-2007, 8:34 PM
David: I've had a 513X since June 06. Both Grizzley and Timberwolf recommend the flutter method of tensioning the blade, so, PSI is really not a factor.

I know we've plenty of discussions about tensioning recently so you can probably find more info than you want to know in the archives.

Best regards, Tom

Justin Bukoski
09-05-2007, 9:28 PM
I have the 514X but the woodslicer is an absolute must in my mind. They make a 3/4" blade as well as the 1/2". I think the resaw results are only slightly better with the 3/4" blade.

Philip Giangarra
09-05-2007, 9:36 PM
You mentioned the Grizzly 513X2 bandsaw. I looked at the descriptions of this and other Grizzly bandsaws that all started with 513, and I don't understand the differences. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Phil Giangarra

Jim Dunn
09-05-2007, 9:40 PM
You mentioned the Grizzly 513X2 bandsaw. I looked at the descriptions of this and other Grizzly bandsaws that all started with 513, and I don't understand the differences. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Phil Giangarra

Cast iron trunions on the X2. The rest is just the difference in fences, wheels (aluminum vs cast iron) and the tables.

glenn bradley
09-05-2007, 10:42 PM
my G0513 does just fine with the timberwolf 1" blade that I got for it.
The X's were not out when I got mine, but if I was in the market again I would get the G0513X2.

I have run from 1/4" to 1" blades. The only recommendation I have is to use a Suffolk Machinery Timberwolf or comprable quality blade on it.

Andy

Potential thread-jack - what's the main difference between the x and the x2?

David Romano
09-06-2007, 6:59 PM
The X2 just came out and I believe I heard on the "mill" from the Griz big cheese himself that the cast iron trunions are available to upgrade the X to the X2.

I've been trying to buy this saw for about 9 months now, drooling over it and saving money for it little by little, but now that I finally have the thosand bucks, there is another "priority". Sound familiar?

David

Rob Diz
09-07-2007, 11:37 AM
I heard from PapaGrizzly on another forum. He advised that there will be an "upgrade" of CI trunions for the 513x available soon. I called service, and was told it will be available in November. I'm getting a new table (defect) and will wait until I get the CI trunions and upgrade while the table is off.