PDA

View Full Version : Back thickness for shelving unit?

Jay Yoder
09-04-2007, 7:41 PM
Hi all...i am currently making a painted shelving unit and was wondering what to use for the back sheet? I believe it is customary to use 1/2" thk plywood, but i have a sheet of 3/4" thick cab grade that would work too...would there be any drawbacks to using the thicker material? My first thought is that it would add more weight to the rear and would stabilize it a bit, but who knows. It will be going into a 10 year old boys room...any input would be appreciated!

Greg Funk
09-04-2007, 7:53 PM
All of the cabinets in our house use 3/4" backs. The cabinetmaker didn't think the lower cost of using 1/2 or 1/4 was worth the hassle of the extra waste from carrying two different sizes of plywood. Can't see any problems in using 3/4" backs.

Greg

Jim Becker
09-04-2007, 8:26 PM
No issue with using thicker material outside of the weight and the need to compensate for it when designing the depth of the units if the backs are inset inside of the carcass.

Ryan Marcoux
09-05-2007, 8:12 AM
Just make sure you attach the shelving unit to the wall at the top of the unit. Kids love to climb these and could seriously hurt themselves when the unit falls ontop of them. Just a warning because I have ben told some horror stories.

Good luck with your project!

BTW, I do not see a problem with 3/4 back.

John Thompson
09-05-2007, 9:32 AM
I will add that I see no draw-back to the use of 3/4" if you have it on hand other than added weight. And Ryan made an excellent point of making sure they are attached "well" as kids are well... "kids".

But.. the other side of the story is if you did not have it on-hand.. I see no need for the extra thickness what-s-ever unless you have designed your cabinet in a way that the backing plays a major role in structual strenght of the entire unit and I doubt that.

Then again.. you did mention "kids". On second thought I would use 16/4 for the entire carcass and put a 12' chain link fence with concentina wire on top around it. Just kiddin'... well sorta! ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Regards...

Sarge..