PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Freud’s Fusion Hi-ATB 10” Blade?

Bruce Page
09-04-2007, 6:47 PM
What are your thoughts on this new blade from Freud?

FWIW, I already own a couple of WWII’s, Jesada's, Freud’s etc.

Just wondering if this blade is as good as they claim.

Rick Fouts
09-05-2007, 8:09 AM
I have been using a Fusion for about six months and it cuts as advertised. The only thing is the sharpening. You need to use a sharpening service with up to date equipment.

Mark Rios
09-05-2007, 12:35 PM
I have been using a Fusion for about six months and it cuts as advertised. The only thing is the sharpening. You need to use a sharpening service with up to date equipment.

I'd suggest that you get your Freud blades sharpened by Freud if you want to get a Freud blade back. Their sharpening machines are set up to put the exact same grind on their blades while other sharpening shops will have generic sharpening machines. You'll most likely get a very good, sharp blade back but it won't be the exact same blade that you got brand new. This holds true for other blades as well of course. If you send your Forrest WWII to Freud, for example, you will get a Freud grind and not a Forrest grind.

This has been discussed here a couple of times. A search may yield more info for you.

John Hedges
09-05-2007, 5:11 PM
Don't own the Fusion, but my understanding is that the Hi-ATB grind doesn't do well on rips (tends to burn is my understanding). Since I use my combo blade for limited ripping and crosscutting, I stayed with my WWII, when given the choice.

As a side note I recently tried the FS Tools 40 tooth combo blade (got it from Carbide.com for a great price) and have been REALLY IMPRESSED. For everything I've cut with it, it seems to be equal to my WWII.

Interested to hear if anyone here that has the fusion can comment on the quality of the rip cut.

David George
09-05-2007, 7:00 PM
While sending a specific saw blade back to the manufactuer would obviously be an option, just make sure that your local sharpening company is using CNC grinders. A knowledgable grinder will have all the specs to grind the angles exactly as they were made.

Charles McCracken
09-06-2007, 12:28 PM
While sending a specific saw blade back to the manufactuer would obviously be an option, just make sure that your local sharpening company is using CNC grinders. A knowledgable grinder will have all the specs to grind the angles exactly as they were made.

That's generally true. The Premier Fusion has a double angle side grind so it should be top ground to sharpen. Most other blades are sharpened by face grinding.

David George
09-06-2007, 1:06 PM
We have sharpened many Fusion blades. Not that hard for us. A Walter triple axis CNC grinder makes the job very easy.

Dave