PDA

View Full Version : Yippee!! New Craftsman bandsaw!!!

Allan Brown
09-04-2007, 4:49 PM
I've needed a bandsaw for a long time, and finally after a good sale and the Craftsman Club discount, was able to snag the 22401 for around $430. Immediately ordered a Timberwolf 1/2" 4 pitch blade which should be in this week. Got the mobile base and everything is wonderful.....except the guides! It's amazing that they can build a great saw like this (at this price point) and slap on such crappy guides.

I just got off the phone with Tom at Suffolk Machinery to discuss blade speed (a subject discussed at length late last year) and in the course of conversation about the guides, he referred me to Carter Products. A quick call to Kip revealed that they are working on replacement guides for the Craftsman and Rikon saws, and should be ready to go to market sometime this year. Given the price of the saw, another $140 for upper and lower guides will make this one sweet saw!

I know this doesn't qualify as an official gloat, but I'll post some pictures later...
Allan

Bruce Page
09-04-2007, 6:12 PM
I know this doesn't qualify as an official gloat, but I'll post some pictures later...
Allan

Yep, but congrats anyway. :)

Don Bullock
09-04-2007, 6:44 PM
Congratulations on the new band saw. I have one and really like it.

Allan Brown
09-04-2007, 7:59 PM
Well, here's the official gloat! As I said before, with a decent set of guides, this ought to be a great saw ... already terrific, but a little tweaking will help.

Also couldn't resist showing off my new Adria small tenon saws I got in last week (cross & rip). They are in addition to my Adria dovetail saw that I've had for a while. Love them all...work beautifully, just like they look. Have also had the good fortune to happen onto an old Witherby 10" drawknife in super condition, and was able to buy a Blue Spruce small marking knife and the 1/4" dovetail chisel (these are wonderful tools, and can't wait to add to the collection). Except for the bandsaw --which has become a necessity for me for the resawing capability -- most of what I've been doing (and want to get proficient at) is working primarily with handtools. The bandsaw is whisper quiet, but the shop vac sounds like a train...

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity for show and tell...