PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking group speakers

Matt Chantry
09-04-2007, 4:18 PM
I am on a committee responsible for finding speakers and topics for the monthly meetings of our local woodworking group. I got some excellent suggestions from a poster on WC, and I thought that I would hit the other forums I frequent to ask for suggestions.

The experience level goes from total beginner all the way to high-end Studio Furniture makers. Any and all ideas would be very much welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Bruce Wrenn
09-04-2007, 9:58 PM
Our local WW assoc. uses both members, and nationally known speakers. When we have one of the bigs (Frank Klauss, Kelly Mehler, Lon Schleining, etc), we also have weekend work shops to off set the cost of having them here. Many of our members are world class in their work. But unfortunately, not every expert is a public speaker. About every two years, we do an interest poll to see what members want. We do an annual auction in November, where we can sell off excess WW goodies. Assoc charges a 10% sellers premium. Always a good time. This month we are having a kick off dinner for our annual Toys for Tots campain. A member of the USMC and Salvation Army will be there to tell us how toys are distributed. We have been doing Toys for Tots for over twenty years. We try to have at least one workshop at local BORG. A show and tell program featuring jigs is always a great sucess. Several vendors are willing to do program, but remember they are in the business of selling. You can do a program on just one tool or technique (tablesaw, sharpening, etc.) On sharpening, you have have various techniques demonstrated (water stones, sandpaper, Tormek etc.) Last year we had a young lady who makes violins present a program. How about a program on cutting dovetails. Have someone do hand cut, another do half blind, and another use a Leigh jig. Ironically, our program committee meets tomorrow night.

John Timberlake
09-04-2007, 10:06 PM
The biggest problem you will run into is the travel for anyone not close to Calgary.

Two people that my club has used in the past few years are Garrett Hack (NH) and Craig Vandal Stevens OH). Both did some design work. Hack did inlay and banding. Stevens did marketry. I recommend both. But will probably do better with someone in the Plains (Canada or US).

Matt Chantry
09-05-2007, 10:30 PM
I really like the idea of the dovetail night. As far as the Borg meeting goes, what is the focus of the meeting?

For Toys for Tots, does your group make toys for this, or is it some sort of Toy drive?

M