PDA

View Full Version : Advice on wooden planes

mikko issakainen
09-04-2007, 4:08 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm kinda new poster to this forum though I registered over a year ago. I've been reading these threads a lot though. Lots of good stuff!

I'm newbie to woodworking but all kinds tools have started to accumulate in our closets and toolboxes. :) I'm currently working our summer cottage which was built by hand in the 1970s from pine logs. The roof required a complete overhaul and there are lots of other small or big things that need some attention.

Anyway, to my question: I'm looking at some wooden planes at a Finnish auction site. Here are links to some photos, taken by the seller:
http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=926896.jpg
http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=926942.jpg
http://www.aijaa.com/v.php?i=926975.jpg

Any ideas what is the small plane with 3 wooden adjustment screws? A "Plow plane"? It looks ok but the iron could be anything. Possibly difficult to find if it needs replacement.

Also, I'm looking for a jointer plane and there seems to be a steady trickle of them in Finnish markets. However, their condition varies and I'm no expert. The jointers in the photos are approximately 24" and 27" in length. Both seem to have rusty irons and I've no idea about the sole. I'm not afraid of repairing and refinishing tools. In fact, I'd like to work on some cheap planes to gain some experience but I doubt I recognize a hopeless case. =)

They are currently going at around $10-15 each and according to completed auctions I don't expect they'll go very much over $20 apiece. So, should I skip or check out those planes?

Thanks,
Mikko Issakainen

Zahid Naqvi
09-04-2007, 4:22 PM
Mikko, welcome to the creek. You are correct the small plane does look like a plough/plow plane. With wooden planes it is difficult to get irons in good shape, most times they will be heavily rusted and will require some serious rehab. Wooden planes usually go cheaper than their iron counter parts, but still $20 for a jointer is a little high but not that much (I recently purchased a Sandusky fore plane for $15). The ones pictured are in ok condition, I can see some heavy rust on the irons. Considering the shipping cost to Finland from anywhere else in the world, buying locally even at a 10-15% higher price might result in a more significant saving in the shipping cost.

I'd say keep your eyes out for another auction, just buy one plane to get started. If you have a choice buy a wooden smooth plane as the first one, they are much easier to use and rehab (Although I see that you say you need a jointer). Once you get comfortable with using the smoother start accumulating planes as you need them.

Wiley Horne
09-04-2007, 6:51 PM
Mikko,

Welcome!

Each of these planes has some interest, but also some considerable problems. And on each plane, you cannot see enough--there are not enough views. On balance, I think I would pass and keep fishing. But it depends......

1. The plough. The plough is a good design, and the wood looks sound. Furthermore, the threads look to be sound and the stems do not appear to be warped. All that is good; however, I would want the seller to tell me that the screws are working and not frozen in place never to move again.

The wedge has had an injury that will need fixing.

It's a gamble with the cutter. You can find cutters. But you cannot see the skate--the metal runner that the blade (to be obtained) has to register to. Is the skate in good shape? Is it flopping around? Is it missing? Is it a v-shaped registration, or some other system?

Judgment: If you need a plough, and never come across them, ask the seller about the skate, and whether the screws are frozen or do they work. Then go from there. If the skate is not absolutely sound, I would pass for sure. EDIT: I just noticed, looking at photo #3, that the skate may be missing altogether.

2. The jointers. One of those jointers has a fairly nasty crack up front that runs the full depth of the block. The other jointer has had a modification to the sole to serve some special purpose--see the rebate in front view.

The blades are rusty, but rusty blades are usually reclaimable. However, you do not know if the wood has shrunk around these blades, freezing them in place and creating a tough problem to even break them free of the block--or maybe creating splits in the block. If you're considering buying these planes, ask the seller if the blades will come free, or if they are frozen in place.

Judgment: If there is a 'steady stream of jointers' on Finnish ebay, I think I would wait for the next ones. Especially if you're looking for a winter project. But if you need a jointer right this minute to finish the work you're doing before it starts snowing, you could take a chance on these, but ask the seller if the blades will come free. If they're frozen, I would pass on these.

Hope this helps.

Wiley

harry strasil
09-05-2007, 1:26 AM
one with 3 screws could be a sash plane.

mikko issakainen
09-05-2007, 1:36 AM
Thank you both for your advice! The woodies that are being circulated are often sold as "antique" and more for decoration purposes than work. They often look awful or even worse to my untrained eyes.

I'd say keep your eyes out for another auction, just buy one plane to get started. If you have a choice buy a wooden smooth plane as the first one, they are much easier to use and rehab (Although I see that you say you need a jointer). Once you get comfortable with using the smoother start accumulating planes as you need them.

I already have a smoother: a bit rusty Kunz #4 which I bought just to get an idea of plane rehab. It was a very positive experience to get decent looking shavings out of it. No, I'm not yet ready to post any pictures of that one. ;)

A year ago I did some research on planes for beginners and read SMC some other websites. I ended up buying a Veritas low-angle block plane. My rationale was that I wanted a decent plane as my "reference" without spending too much. I think I succeeded in this because it was the best plane I have used so far.

Judgment: If you need a plough, and never come across them, ask the seller about the skate, and whether the screws are frozen or do they work. Then go from there. If the skate is not absolutely sound, I would pass for sure. And just based on the probabilities, I would prefer to wait for another, but will there be another?

Here's one more photo of that plough plane:
http://riemun.huuto.net/auctionimages/b/1d/3de984cd70dbaaa1af448da07cbaf-orig.jpg

It looks like that the skate is there but I'll have to ask more about it. I'll have to google around for suitable blades.

Judgment: If there is a 'steady stream of jointers' on Finnish ebay, I think I would wait for the next ones. Especially if you're looking for a winter project. But if you need a jointer right this minute to finish the work you're doing before it starts snowing, you could take a chance on these, but ask the seller if the blades will come free. If they're frozen, I would go with Plan B (whatever it might be).

I didn't notice the rebate until now. Hmm. I'll ask a photo of the soles as well.

Luckily I'm not in a hurry. The remaining mandatory work at the cabin for this year is quite rough and does not depend on having a working jointer or plough plane. (I have to chisel a couple of recesses for fresh air vents and install a new chimney once the new fireplace is done. :))

I'll ask the seller for some more information but if I end up buying any of these, I won't bid very much.

Thanks!
Mikko