PDA

View Full Version : Picture frame recess

Gary Keedwell
09-04-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm having a debate about picture frame rabbets to hold the picture and glass. One side of the debate says to measure the glass and picture to determine the depth of the recess. The other side says it is more important to see how the picture looks from the front to determine the depth.
I'm not telling my opinion ...so as not to get involved. :o Can anybody tell me how they do it or is there supposed to be some kind of "standard"?
Gary K.

Larry Nall
09-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Unless the frame is unusually deep, I'd say glass + matting (single or double + photo + backing + spaqce for the fasteners to attach.

Jim Becker
09-04-2007, 11:06 AM
All of the above, Gary...reveals are used both for practicality and for design...

Tim Sproul
09-04-2007, 2:56 PM
It depends on the picture.

Putting the picture into a deeper frame gives it a more 'looking down the tunnel' feel whereas bringing the picture into the front plane of the frame gives it a more 'coming out to the viewer' feel.

You can affect the mood of a picture with the frame and with how deeply set the picture is.

Pete Bradley
09-04-2007, 5:31 PM
As long as there's enough depth for the glass, picture, and backing, you can vary the depth to what looks best. ;)

Pete