PDA

View Full Version : Trying a new rim treatment, please critique!

Patrick Taylor
09-03-2007, 11:01 PM
This is a cherry bowl, about 8" in diameter. First I sanded to 320 (low for my taste, but going for the "weathered look"). Then I burnt the rim at about 1800 rpm with a mahogany pen blank to get the pattern that you see. I applied watco danish oil, and buffed (3 steps) but only on the outside and inside, NOT the rim.

What do you think of the rim treatment? Good, bad, boring? Any tips on finishing such a rim? I decided just the dried WDO would be best, and buffing would detract from the burnt look. Thoughts appreciated!

Thanks,
Pat

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1207/1316691785_86ad767993.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1131/1317579710_620e6b0327_b.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Patrick I like it. It really accents the bowl. Well done.

Richard Madison
09-03-2007, 11:47 PM
On brand new furniture I think the "distressed" look is seriously dumb. If I wanted the "distressed" look, I would just keep the old furniture. But on your bowl it's something different and looks good.

Steve Trauthwein
09-04-2007, 6:30 AM
Patrick,

This is just my opinion but inconsistent decorative treatment, unless it accents the grain, is troubling to me. It seems incomplete in the turning process. Just my .02.

Regards, Steve

Paul Heely
09-04-2007, 6:48 AM
Pat, I like the form of the bowl. I don't like the burnt rim. To me the burning looks like the wood was cut with a dull saw blade and does nothing for me. You have a nice big rim on the bowl and I think something different would compliment the rest of the bowl better.

Christopher K. Hartley
09-04-2007, 8:30 AM
Patrick, I like the concept but am a bit with Steve on this one. Don't abandon the idea though, just keep perfecting it.:)

Ed Scolforo
09-04-2007, 9:29 AM
I'm with Steve and Christopher on this. Keep trying!

jeremy levine
09-04-2007, 9:41 AM
I'm with Steve and Christopher on this. Keep trying!
and Ed.

I like the idea of a drawing the eye to the rim, and the dark (burn) color does this, but I do have to agree with another poster. It does look a lot like dull blade marks.

Patrick Taylor
09-04-2007, 9:56 AM
Thanks everyone so far... I tend to agree. I think it adds the rim interest I'm looking for with this form but doesn't quite do it once your eye gets there. I'll keep working at it. :)

Glenn Hodges
09-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Patrick, this does not do anything for me on such a beautiful bowl, but hey, I am not the final word on anything. If you don't believe me ask my wife.

Jim Becker
09-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Subtle. The only thing I see that I don't like is that some burning dipped over the rim. Re-sanding and re-finishing there would be a good idea.

Jeff Bower
09-04-2007, 3:25 PM
Pat, I like it a lot! The fact that it makes the look of tool marks is why. It gives the rim a "hand carved" look. BTW how did the cherry smell with the pen blank burning it?

Ernie Nyvall
09-04-2007, 10:43 PM
I like this kind of bowl with the wide rim and texturing, but as Steve mentioned, the burn is not consistant. I do like the pattern of the burn though. If you could get that edge burned all the way around, I think that would look nice too.

Patrick Taylor
09-05-2007, 12:00 AM
I like this kind of bowl with the wide rim and texturing, but as Steve mentioned, the burn is not consistant. I do like the pattern of the burn though. If you could get that edge burned all the way around, I think that would look nice too.

I agree. I trued up the rim 3 times trying to get a consistent burn, but couldn't quite get there.

Burt Alcantara
09-05-2007, 9:36 AM
Well, I LOVE the rim and would like to know more details. I should state that I'm a rusty junk fan. I like all things that are weathered, beat up and rusted. In fact, I'm trying to get a finish that looks like the hull of a ship that has been rusted for 50 years.

Would you explain more on the technique? I'm still wet behind the ears so I don't get everything.

Thanks,
Burt

Patrick Taylor
09-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Would you explain more on the technique?

Sure! All I did was turn and sand the bowl, then (using the toolrest very close) hold a stick of mahogany with a flat face against the rim of the bowl, with the bowl turning at about 1800 rpm. I played with the overhang of the mahogany past the toolrest and the lathe speed to get an attractive chatter pattern, and that's about it. I finished the bowl with watco danish oil, and buffed the inside and outside. I did not buff the rim.