PDA

View Full Version : Garage cabinet finishes

Nathan Yeager
09-03-2007, 10:54 PM
What do you all use to finish your workshop cabinets, benches, workstations, etc... I like a natural feel and not a 'furniture' feel.

I like the warm look of darker cabinets so will probably apply some sort of stain if that matters.

What do you recommend?

Jim Becker
09-04-2007, 11:00 AM
I generally don't put anything on my shop cabinetry outside of an application of BLO.

Steven Wilson
09-04-2007, 11:31 AM
I use shellac - quick, easy, and can be applied when it's below zero. Brushing lacquer works well too if you have any lying around. As for staining, I wouldn't spend the time but that's up to you. Shop cabinets are great practice for various cabinet construction and finish techniques (some of mine are 32mm system, some face frame, etc) although the result may look a little weird.

Wes Bischel
09-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I would second Steve's suggestion for shellac. Not as durable as some finishes, but easy to repair.

Wes

glenn bradley
09-04-2007, 1:55 PM
Mine are all shellac or where I want a darker look; BLO then shellac. The exception is the workbech top which is just BLO and paste wax to ease repair if required. Poly, if scratched up, is more effort to repair but, will take chemical spills better than shellac. I have one early cabinet done with ploy but it was a waste of time and effort IMHO.

Rob Diz
09-04-2007, 3:40 PM
The only surface I finished was my workbench top - which for now is nothing more than a nice piece of 3/4 ply on top of a very solid base. I applied some shellac, then wax. It keeps things clean, and easy.

The other rolling carts, etc, are unfinished in my shop.

Nathan Conner
09-07-2007, 9:07 AM
I used 2-3 coats of Deft Brush-on Satin. I wipe it on, then go back over lightly with a dry cloth to even it up.

Gives the shop oak I'm using a nice light sheen and a good color. Very easy to repair. Here's a couple of vague shots where you can see it. Also, quite a natural look without all the sheen/high polish (You can see the unfinished nailers in the bigger shot).