PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic PM2000 5 Hp Cabinet Saw - $1250

Chris Smith
09-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Closeout price at Woodcraft on the Powermatic PM2000 5 Hp cabinet saw with 30" fence for $1250. Won't last long.

link (http://www.woodcraft.com/AffiliateWiz/aw.aspx?B=12&A=42&Task=Click&TargetURL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.woodcraft.com%2ffamily. aspx%3fFamilyID%3d61060)

Nathan Conner
09-04-2007, 12:20 AM
Naaah. That's just a price screwup. Notice that the smaller 3hp version is $1,000 more? They'll fix it first thing in the morning. No WAY would they offer the same saw for that much less, without unbelievable fanfare and "SALE PRICE" stickers everywhere.

Nice if you can get one at that price, but I'd believe it when I saw a receipt and a saw. :) Besides, Woodcraft has always been really, really good to deal with, and I'd hate to get in a p***ing contest with them over "You advertised it. You HAVE to honor it!! I'll call my local Attorney General!" They've just been too good to me. From their terms of service: "Woodcraft cannot be held responsible for pricing errors, in print or otherwise." They'll blame it on Fred in Web Development or something.

Beautiful catch, though, Chris. And if it turns out to be valid and I didn't buy 7 of them just now because I was busy typing...that'll be just my luck.

Jim Mcvicar
09-04-2007, 1:01 AM
I think it is a mistake but I ordered one anyway. The Website accepted my order...and gave me an order number.

Gary Herrmann
09-04-2007, 2:46 AM
Good luck, but based on their other prices, I'd say they switched positions on the 1 and 2. Cool if you get it at that price tho.

Grant Vanbokklen
09-04-2007, 3:37 AM
That seems like a real deal. 5HP for a home shop here...a bit of overkill for me I think. Would be nice though. Not sure my 20yo dryer outlet would handle that, been meaning to open the utility box on the side of the house to check. But if your not commercial and not needing to get-it-done, would you really need 5hp? Cost of operating it would be more too. Is there somewhere posted an estimated cost of power usage based on HP and Amps.

Daniel Simon
09-04-2007, 7:16 AM
Well, I emailed them and asked about the cost. Yes, it's probably too good to be true but if it is, I'll order one also. I'll let you guys know their reply.

Greg Crawford
09-04-2007, 7:21 AM
I don't remember what the item was, but had the same thing happen at Woodcraft's site a few months ago. Went to order in the morning and it was fixed. I sent them a friendly email telling them they were just too fast for me.

Hope you do get that saw at that price, though. It'd be a deal of a lifetime.

Don Bullock
09-04-2007, 8:03 AM
That seems like a real deal. 5HP for a home shop here...a bit of overkill for me I think. Would be nice though. Not sure my 20yo dryer outlet would handle that... would you really need 5hp? Cost of operating it would be more too. Is there somewhere posted an estimated cost of power usage based on HP and Amps.

5 hp may be overkill, but it sure is nice. I don't use mine enough to make much difference in the "operating cost." Yes, it will need more amps than your dryer circuit. Mine is on a 30 amp breaker.

The price is still there this morning.:D That's sure a great deal for those who need a table saw and can get that deal.

Stan Welborn
09-04-2007, 8:22 AM
Well, I don't expect it to bear fruit, but I ordered one anyway. Just on the wild chance.... A nice bandsaw was going to be my next large tool purchase, but I'll put off that for awhile without any regrets if by some miracle they honor this deal.

Chris Rosenberger
09-04-2007, 8:35 AM
I just talked to Woodcraft customer service & they confirmed the price is correct.

Larry Anderson
09-04-2007, 9:05 AM
I just talked to Woodcraft customer service & they confirmed the price is correct.

WOW! Great news, I was sure I was going to get a we're sorry but email or call.

Tim Anderson
09-04-2007, 9:05 AM
Chris, Thanks for the heads up. I also ordered one and then checked with customer service to see if they would honor the deal. They stated that they would honor the price until they got it changed. We'll see how long this deal lasts. Again thanks.

Tim

Don Bullock
09-04-2007, 9:27 AM
Maybe WoodCraft has the same people running their website that Amazon does. ;) :) Wow, I sure hope so.:D

George Carion
09-04-2007, 9:48 AM
Man. My Amazon bought 3HP PM2000 is still on a delivery truck. :mad:

I really wanted the 50" model, but I think I could have found a way to make due with the extra $800 bucks in my pocket... Some accessories come to mind.

Oh well. Congrats to those of you who jumped on this deal!

Noah Vig
09-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Ugh, I am having a very hard time deciding. My 22124 is only 1 year old and I like it. Plus I bought a shop fox w1741 a couple days ago. Not sure if its worth it to me.

Anyhow, congrats to all that get one.

Bill Reed
09-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Wow, don't you just love this forum! I have been wanting this saw for some time and would never have caught this deal without your help. I just ordered one and hope the sale goes through.

Bill

Minh Nguyen
09-04-2007, 10:46 AM
I called Powermatic to see what the power requirement was on one of these saws. According to PM, the tablesaw draws about 24amp when running. However, they recommend a 40amp breaker because it draws that much power when started.

Can anyone confirm that? The most I can dedicate to the tablesaw is 30amp. Should I cancel my order?

Thanks
Minh

Tim Lynch
09-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Hi Minh,

Funny because the listing on Woodcraft says the motor is 21A...

I have a 5HP single phase Unisaw that also is rated 21A and says to use a 40A time delay fuse. Surprisingly, it starts and runs fine on a 20A breaker.

Christof Grohs
09-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Just ordered one via phone....3-6 weeks drop ship from PM. My Uni is going to be jealous;)

Doug Shepard
09-04-2007, 10:56 AM
... According to PM, the tablesaw draws about 24amp when running. However, they recommend a 40amp breaker because it draws that much power when started.
Minh

When I got the switch for my 5HP ClearVue cyclone, the guys at the local electrical supply place also recommended I use a 40A breaker and 10 gauge wire.

Dwain Lambrigger
09-04-2007, 11:35 AM
I called Woodcraft this morning. I confirmed the price. This is correct. Now I am trying to talk my wife into the "world's greatest deal on a once in a lifetime saw but out of my budget" purchase.

Wish me luck.

Christof Grohs
09-04-2007, 11:53 AM
I called Woodcraft this morning. I confirmed the price. This is correct. Now I am trying to talk my wife into the "world's greatest deal on a once in a lifetime saw but out of my budget" purchase.

Wish me luck.

They also confirmed to me that PM offered Woodcraft this promotional pricing and they will back it 100% until PM pulls the plug on them which could be very soon.

Nathan Conner
09-04-2007, 12:05 PM
I spoke with customer service this morning, and with my local store. I was, honestly a little miffed to see this so soon after I'd purchased mine.

Here's the deal - the orders are good, everything looks great. The kicker is, that's NOT a PM2000 that you bought! :eek: - it's their model 60B Jointer. THAT was the correct price/model number for the jointer, and that's why it's looking ok to their customer service -- as a valid order.

Anyhow, this was from Daryl at Woodcraft in Portland, OR. He said Customer Service is scrambling to figure this out and what happened, and he imagines there will be some upset folks when they get their new Jointer in the mail.

Cheers. I feel better about paying full price for the saw, but I don't imagine anyone who ordered one will.:mad:

Good luck with support, guys!

Noah Katz
09-04-2007, 12:10 PM
"The most I can dedicate to the tablesaw is 30amp. Should I cancel my order?"

It looks like it was too good to be true, but if not, I wouldn't.

The high initial current draw is very brief and is unlikely to trip the breaker.

Worst case you ebay the 5 HP and get a 3 HP, or trade someone.

Mike Spanbauer
09-04-2007, 12:10 PM
They've taken the page down now and are likely working furiously trying to figure out what went wrong.

If this is a drop ship, they most likely will cancel the orders. I doubt very seriously that they have that kind of margin to just "eat" the profit loss as I suspect they pay closer to 16-1700 for these (min).

If it does get fulfilled, grats on the awesome deal though!

mike

Daniel Simon
09-04-2007, 3:52 PM
I spoke with customer service is morning and they confirmed that this was not a correct price and that no orders would be honored at the advertised price. Well, for me, this was a good thing since I really didn't care to switch table saws, I was just going for a deal. No uni-saws for sale here.:D

Minh Nguyen
09-04-2007, 4:02 PM
If they honor the price, that would be great. If they don't honor the price - it's no big deal since I didn't lose anything. :)

Deck Reagan
09-04-2007, 4:51 PM
They are sending all 44 people who, tried to buy the saw, a $50 gift certificate for their troubles. This is of course after they cancelled your order.

deck

Minh Nguyen
09-04-2007, 5:23 PM
I haven't received a cancellation email yet. However, when I got to Woodcraft.com, click on my order number, it shows that the order has been canceled. It was worth a shot... :p

Tim Lynch
09-04-2007, 5:41 PM
Gee, I'm surprised they weren't willing to absorb a $44,000 loss... ;) :D

$50 ain't bad though.

Gary Curtis
09-04-2007, 6:04 PM
If this goes through, here's a relative value for comparison. A 5hp General Cabinet Saw (Canada) that sold for $2200 20 months ago will have a price increase to $3000 before the end of the year. My dealer told me that.

You got one hell of a bargain. And the 5hp is really nice to have. You push that START button, and the saw quickly announces that a real machine is in operation. I'm so glad I got that 5hp Baldor motor.

Gary Curtis

Mike Heidrick
09-04-2007, 6:18 PM
Looks like the deal may be bust according to the other forum thread. $50 GC may be on its way to those that ordered though. It may have been worth the order (pretty much knew it would be cancelled) to get the GC.

$3000 for the General is a steep increase. Get them while they are hot!

Dixon Peer
09-04-2007, 6:44 PM
That seems like a real deal. 5HP for a home shop here...a bit of overkill for me I think. Would be nice though. Not sure my 20yo dryer outlet would handle that, been meaning to open the utility box on the side of the house to check. But if your not commercial and not needing to get-it-done, would you really need 5hp? Cost of operating it would be more too. Is there somewhere posted an estimated cost of power usage based on HP and Amps.

I have a 5 hp Delta D40 (I think that's the model #) that I can put up to a sixteen inch blade on which is sometimes quite handy. It makes a lot of noise with that blade, I'll tell you. The power consumption is not something that is noticeable on the electric bill...a non factor.

Daniel Simon
09-04-2007, 9:12 PM
FYI...Here's what I got from the customer service Rep at woodcraft:

Woodcraft regrets to inform you there was an error with our website system upgrade over the weekend which caused
an incorrect price of $1,249.99 to be associated with the Powermatic PM2000 table saw. The pricing of the Powermatic PM Jointer, model 60B was input as the price for the PM2000 table saw, which is currently priced at 2,599.99. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you have any questions please feel free to call our Customer Service Dept at 1-800-535-4482 if you have further questions.

Thanks,
Amy
Woodcraft Customer Service
custserv@woodcraft.com
Phone: 304-428-4866
Fax: 304-428-8271

Bob Feeser
09-05-2007, 12:15 AM
I called Powermatic to see what the power requirement was on one of these saws. According to PM, the tablesaw draws about 24amp when running. However, they recommend a 40amp breaker because it draws that much power when started.

Can anyone confirm that? The most I can dedicate to the tablesaw is 30amp. Should I cancel my order?

Thanks
Minh

I have a PM66 with a 5hp I think it is referred to as a TEFT motor or something like that which signifies a cast iron end. Anyhow the motor weighs 100 pounds by itself. It is single phase. I came from an old Sears 1hp contractors saw, wood burner on thicker stock, so I did not stop at the 3 and went right to the 5. although Norm on NYW uses a 3 and has no problems. The thing to remember is these are industrial grade motors. Anyhow, I went all through the electrical requirements, both with PM and outside of them as well. The 5hp motor requires a 40 amp outlet and breaker, and that requires an 8 gauge wire. Since mine had about a 25 foot span from the outlet to the saw, I opted for an 8 gauge rubber coated wire, that I actually had to go to a nearby adjoining state to find an electrical supply house that had one in stock, let alone a 40 amp plug to go on the wire. PM on the other hand states it needs a 40 amp circuit, with 40 amp breaker and 8 gauge wire, but they state that the rubber corded wire going to the outlet only needs to be 10 gauge, which is the norm for 30 amp runs. As a matter of fact, I had a rough time because the plastic on off cover for the switch was designed to handle clamps for a 10 gauge wire, and the only opening large enough for the 8 was on the top, so I had to do some sealing to make sure dust did not go down into the switch.
Am I giving you way more information than you asked for? Probably. :D Please check with a licensed electrician whereas I am only going from secondary sources about what I am stating here. I also understand that electical components need about a 20 percent head room, so a 24 amp motor would need a 30, which would put the saw right at the edge of the requirements, therefore maybe PM is avoiding the rash of bad feedback over blown circuit breakers by saying go with the 40. Anytime any qualified electrical guys want to chime in here, please do, you may have the next dance. :p
What makes matters worse is that with the price oops at Woodcraft, you probably won't wind up needing the 5 hp information anyhow. And the 3hp model does require 30 amps according to PM.
Pertaining to the comments from someone seeming to get peeved at the 5 hp being overkill, it's only a couple of hundred bucks, on a 2600 hundred dollar saw, so once you get up there it ain't that much of a biggie. As a matter of fact Amazon has the 3hp single phase PM66 right now at 2689 and the 5hp same setup but three phase for 2799.(Although I am not reccommending a 3 phase motor with a converter because you only get 3 usable hp out of a 5 that way)
With the 5 hp, you can cut through 1/2" stock without even slowing down.:rolleyes: Just Kidding, Just kidding. Anyhow, it sails through just about anything without slowing down, much like the 3 hp models do I am sure. Overkill, I guess, but it's a little bit like the Tim the Tool man RRRRGGGGGHHHHH. :)
Then you talk to those guys who are using the next size up Powermatic at work, with the 7 1/2 hp motor, with a cast iron top that takes up a football field (hyperbole) and the larger blade, and they say when they come home to the Powermatic 66's it feels like a toy. (But what a beautiful toy it is)

Christof Grohs
09-05-2007, 1:33 AM
They also confirmed to me that PM offered Woodcraft this promotional pricing and they will back it 100% until PM pulls the plug on them which could be very soon.

Got the much anticipated call.......

:rolleyes: The little devil on my left shoulder is pissed that they didn't stick to their word as promised to me on the phone by two seperate sales people!!! The angel on my right shoulder is glad that they didn't take a serious hit....I'm siding with the Angel this time.

Rick Christopherson
09-05-2007, 2:59 AM
To all those that have strayed off-topic, please don't repeat misinformation, because other readers here will assume it is correct.

A 5 hp tablesaw does not need a 40 amp circuit. It will operate fully within NEC from a 30 amp circuit. And if you think you are going to correct me and state that the circuit needs to be 125% of the motor load, then you need to re-read your NEC first. This often misquoted requirement is for continuous loads, and a tablesaw is not a continuous load. Moreover, even if the saw was left running all day long, it would not be drawing FLA during its normal operation. The 125% rule does not apply. Even if it did apply, a 5 hp motor would still qualify for a 30-amp circuit.

In your own shop, you are fully entitled to install a 40-amp circuit if that is what you wish, but do not be advising others to do the same under the guise that it is required.

I am sorry for being harsh, but this information is getting out of hand once again, and is currently running rampant on many of the woodworking forums.