PDA

View Full Version : A Magical Gloat?? and a duplicating concern

paul ashman
09-03-2007, 10:30 PM
I guess it's a gloat, this is part of my first commercial order. A company my wife works for is famous for their hand made wands. During the summer (my off time as a teacher) I worked for them and got interested in making some wands. These are Indian Rosewood, all in the 6 1/2 inch range. I am making some Black Walnut in a different style also.
Now for the question:
I have been using a master to mark the pieces, but I bought a duplicator from PSI and just cannot get it to work. I am getting faster at turning each one, and sand them to 600 then apply a mix of Kerf (spelling?) and beeswax. They do not want them to be shiny, and I find that this lets the wood speak for itself. So, was the duplicator a waste of time? Will it do intricate work? And does anyone have any experience with this one. By the way I am using it on a Jet 1220, so I had to install 1" blocks to raise the cutting head up to proper height (it was made for a 1014, and this was the fix they told me to do).
As always comments are appreciated! And if you want to make some of these, let me know as this company is always looking for turners!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Paul..........First nice job! I took on turning some knobs for a guy and I swore I'd never do that again. A couple of weeks later I took on turning 8 spindles for a Dave Richard's wheel for his sail boat. Trying to make look alike multiples of anything I found to be a humbiling turning experience. If for one brief fraction of a second you loose your concentration, the piece you are working on doesn't look like the others!

From what I've read, duplicators can be used for ballisters etc but will not produce great detail. I have not used one but from the few things I've read they aren't great for fine detail.

Again......Great job! My sympathies!

Bonnie Campbell
09-03-2007, 11:51 PM
Cool looking wands!

I'd be interested in finding out something about the company if you'd like to message me about them.

Christopher K. Hartley
09-04-2007, 8:38 AM
Fine looking job Paul. Has to be a big confidence booster!:)

joe greiner
09-04-2007, 9:24 AM
I found this on the weird wild web some time ago. It works by utilizing your eyesight to produce matching pieces. I haven't made one, but it should preserve the hand-turned appearance, with finish and detail as precise as you like.

http://www.delorie.com/wood/tips/parallax-jig.html

Joe