PDA

View Full Version : Bird feeder.....peanuts

Curt Fuller
09-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Every year since I started turning I've made something to donate to the Ogden Nature Center for their annual Wildwood Bash. It's a big dinner and auction to raise money for the center. This is this years project. It's a bird feeder for feeding peanuts to the scrub jays that live around here. It's about 5.5" diameter and a little over a foot tall. It has a cord that goes through the bottom finial, up through the feeder, and through the cone shaped stopper that plugs the hole where you load the peanuts. It's made from siberian elm with oak dowels and the perches are oak. Finished with Thompson water seal with Spar poly over that.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/peanutfeederelm1.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/peanutfeederelm2.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/peanutfeederelm4.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Curt that is so cool. It is a beauty. Well done.

Mike A. Smith
09-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Very impressive Curt! I always love seeing your new feeder creations.

(I never show any to LOML, for one thing I don't think I could do what you do and even if I could, I would never get to turn anything else.)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Curt.........another fine project! Maybe the cord will also help squirrel proof it! Around there....squirrel's are protected and those rascals are tough on bird feed.

Christopher K. Hartley
09-04-2007, 8:46 AM
Curt, you're amazing! Great ideas and great work too. Birds? Peanuts? That is one I've never seen. Interesting!:)

Steve Schlumpf
09-04-2007, 9:14 AM
Curt - you come up with some of the most amazing designs! Very nice work!

Frank Kobilsek
09-04-2007, 4:37 PM
Curt, That's nice. Themed stuff for charity contributions is almost more fun than selling a fancy piece.

Ken, Squirrels are 'protected' from what? Do they where little flak jackets to ward off BBs and pellets? Is there a giant bronze of a famous squirrel in the town square of Lewiston? Most nights when I get home from work I take a quick lap around the yard hoping to pop a gopher or a squirrel with my pellet gun. Not having served my country (millitarily, that is) I can't iron my clothes, shine my shoes, or shoot worth a darn. The little varments are lucky.

Off topic tip: sprinkle cayenne pepper in your bird feed. Rabbits and squirrels have taste buds and won't like it. Birds don't have taste buds and won't care.

Frank

Ken Fitzgerald
09-04-2007, 4:46 PM
Frank.....living in town.....no b-b guns...no pellet guns...illegal to discharge them.......It's my understanding that squirrels are protected by state wildlife regulations. They are brave little rascals! I have seen 2 of them get killed when they get across the power lines in front of our house.....it trips the breaker on the pole....I actually saw the flash one of those two times....

Curt Fuller
09-04-2007, 8:25 PM
Curt.........another fine project! Maybe the cord will also help squirrel proof it! Around there....squirrel's are protected and those rascals are tough on bird feed.

Thanks for the comments.

Ken, I don't have any squirrels around here, well except for some squirrelly neighbors. But maybe the solution is to build a squirrel feeder so they don't rob the bird feeder. What I'd really like to build would be a skunk feeder and give it to one of my neighbors so they (the skunks) would quit coming into my yard. I'm getting tired of de-skunking my dog this summer.