PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Ornament

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2007, 7:54 PM
Here is a Christmas Ornament I made today and is finished with lacquer. This one was made after seeing Larry Hasiak make these. Hollowed out in two halves then glued back together. Burned the glue line and then actually made 4 burned lines so I could color strips. Really pretty easy to make and I like the idea of putting colors on them. They have silver stars on the top. The icicle is pretty short because there was a punky knot right in the middle of it and flew off while turning it down even with light cuts. Didn't turn out to bad though.

Patrick Taylor
09-03-2007, 8:17 PM
I like it! I want to do ornaments but I was intimidated by the thought of hollowing such a small object through a small hole, but this method sounds good and clearly looks great. Nice job!

tim mathis
09-03-2007, 8:25 PM
looks great

Keith Outten
09-03-2007, 8:52 PM
Bernie,

Nice job on the ornament, thanks for sharing the tip turning them in two parts.

Tom Sherman
09-03-2007, 9:03 PM
Looking good Bernie

Pete Jordan
09-03-2007, 9:05 PM
I have watched Larry on video but have not tried it yet. You did a wonderful job!

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2007, 9:11 PM
Thanks for the comments. One thing I forgot to mention that makes it easier to glue these back together is one put a pencil mark so they go back the same when you line up the marks. When using a thin parting tool to seperate the ball, go in at a angle for the first 1/4". It makes it easier to glue a angle than try to glue a straight edge. Also one thing I found that makes it easier is on the inside that you are hollowing go in 1/8" from the edge and take a parting tool and make a I guess a sort of channel right along the edge. Then when you go in with your gouge to hollow and if it skates back on you it won't ruin the edge because it will catch itself before it gets there. I hollow to 1/8".

Yep Pete I think I can make one of these in about 25 minutes or so. He really makes it look easy doesn't he?

Steve Schlumpf
09-03-2007, 9:59 PM
I really like your ornament Bernie! I can see them being really hot sellers for the Christmas craft shows! Nice work!

Mike A. Smith
09-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Very nice Bernie. I was ornament turning today, but mine blew up!

I like the colors too. What did you use?

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Very nice Bernie. I was ornament turning today, but mine blew up!

I like the colors too. What did you use?

I used sharpie's. I have a e-mail to Larry to find out where and what brand of pens he uses. His are slick. I will let you know.

Bonnie Campbell
09-03-2007, 11:55 PM
It looks great! I'd love a tree full of them :)

Larry Marley
09-04-2007, 12:44 AM
I like it!
Thanks for sharing so much detail...
Gota try that.

Larry

Shane Whitlock
09-04-2007, 1:13 AM
Great job Bernie ... I gotta try it and thanks for the tips, they will come in handy.

Happy Turning

Christopher K. Hartley
09-04-2007, 8:36 AM
Bernie Christmas in September??? You're as bad as the stores these days!:D Now, the work...W_O_N_D_E_R_F_U_L!!!!:) Great Job!!

Bernie Weishapl
09-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks everyone. Yep Chris I know but if I don't start now Christmas will be here and I am going to be saying "huh where did the time go."

Jeffrey Fusaro
09-04-2007, 12:52 PM
bernie--

if your gonna post pics of christmas ornaments, you need to update to your santa claus avatar.

nice ornament, by the way.

another thing added to the list of, " i gotta try to do one of those..."

Ernie Nyvall
09-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Very nice Bernie. I think the short icicle looks fine.

John Timberlake
09-05-2007, 8:41 PM
Nice job. Gives me some ideas for this year. Wanted to do something different than last. Keep 'em coming.